PDA

View Full Version : ETM Cleaning

JamesT5
Saturday 9th June 2012, 12:06
Hi

I've just been browsing the internet (I'm bored and waiting for the RAC!), and noticed on another Volvo enthusiast site that some one had done a DIY ETM clean with some wire brush and some carb cleaner.

Has anyone done this and is how easy or hard is it to get the ETM out and give it a clean? Apparanty, according to the thread I read, if it's a bit chocked up, it makes the car run a lot smoother when it's been cleaned.

Is it worth me getting it off and giving it a clean out?

Regards

James

MoleT-5R
Saturday 9th June 2012, 12:13
Whilst replacing mine the other day, I gave the ETM a quick clean with just a clean bit of rag, a toothbush (old..lol) and a squirt WD40. All the gunk around it came off real easy worth doing if you have it off, but I wouldn't bother taking it off to clean unless I was having idle or other problems.

JamesT5
Saturday 9th June 2012, 12:16
Whilst replacing mine the other day, I gave the ETM a quick clean with just a clean bit of rag, a toothbush (old..lol) and a squirt WD40. All the gunk around it came off real easy worth doing if you have it off, but I wouldn't bother taking it off to clean unless I was having idle or other problems.

Well the car has been misfiring but I'm putting that down largely to either coils or spark plugs. But even when the car is running fine, it just feels a bit 'sticky', that's the only way I can put it. I thought it wouldn't do any harm to get the thing off, give it a clean and put it back on again.

Did you need any special tools to take it off and put it on again or do standard socket sets and spanners etc do the job?

Regards

James

MoleT-5R
Saturday 9th June 2012, 12:24
Well the car has been misfiring but I'm putting that down largely to either coils or spark plugs. But even when the car is running fine, it just feels a bit 'sticky', that's the only way I can put it. I thought it wouldn't do any harm to get the thing off, give it a clean and put it back on again.

Did you need any special tools to take it off and put it on again or do standard socket sets and spanners etc do the job?

Regards

James

7 and 10mm socket was really all thats was needed to take it off (10mm for the etm and 7mm to remove the jubilee clip on the intake hose) not a lot of room to work in on v70r awd p1 so popped the fan out to make more space, probably took 1 to 2 hours but I wasn't rushing it. simple'sss really

P.s don't forget to disconnect the battery

JamesT5
Saturday 9th June 2012, 20:55
7 and 10mm socket was really all thats was needed to take it off (10mm for the etm and 7mm to remove the jubilee clip on the intake hose) not a lot of room to work in on v70r awd p1 so popped the fan out to make more space, probably took 1 to 2 hours but I wasn't rushing it. simple'sss really

P.s don't forget to disconnect the battery

Ok, so nothing too complicated then. It's just that where the ETM is located looks pretty akward to get at but then lots of people have done a quick(ish) DIY clean on it meaning it can't be that hard to get at.

It should be good fun anyway!

Regards

James

jardon
Sunday 10th June 2012, 18:46
I'm going to clean mine soon so I'll post a few pics if I have the patience. I have invested in a 7mm socket (flexi extender type) for the intercooler-ETM pipe jubilee clip and then there are 4 10mm bolts to remove the ETM. I think it's then just a case of un-clipping the electrical connector and removal should be easy. I was going to use carb cleaner and wire/plastic brushes. Mine was dirty at 80000 miles and I have an intermittent zero/low pedal input rpm wobble that could be related to gummed throttle plate/body - logging reveals unsteady throttle angle with constant pedal input in the 0.4-5.0% angle range. Mine is a Bosch ETM so I don't think it's the electronic gremlin that the earlier MM units suffered from. I have bought an ETM gasket and now just waiting for a spare few hours as I'll be replacing the starter motor while I'm down there.

MoleT-5R
Sunday 10th June 2012, 20:08
it's not a difficult job, just awkward, but popping the fan out is a great help

JamesT5
Sunday 10th June 2012, 23:43
I'm going to clean mine soon so I'll post a few pics if I have the patience. I have invested in a 7mm socket (flexi extender type) for the intercooler-ETM pipe jubilee clip and then there are 4 10mm bolts to remove the ETM. I think it's then just a case of un-clipping the electrical connector and removal should be easy. I was going to use carb cleaner and wire/plastic brushes. Mine was dirty at 80000 miles and I have an intermittent zero/low pedal input rpm wobble that could be related to gummed throttle plate/body - logging reveals unsteady throttle angle with constant pedal input in the 0.4-5.0% angle range. Mine is a Bosch ETM so I don't think it's the electronic gremlin that the earlier MM units suffered from. I have bought an ETM gasket and now just waiting for a spare few hours as I'll be replacing the starter motor while I'm down there.

Just a couple of genuine questions, what is an "intermittent zero/low pedal input rpm wobble" exactly? I ask because I'll look out for it one mine.

Secondly, what's an ETM gasket and will I need to get one or is this optional?

Regards

James

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 10th June 2012, 23:56
gasket seals the ETM against the inlet manifold. You will have one in there.

JamesT5
Monday 11th June 2012, 00:09
gasket seals the ETM against the inlet manifold. You will have one in there.

If I take the ETM out for cleaning then I assume I can just put the old gasket back on?

Regards

James

Wobbly Dave
Monday 11th June 2012, 00:11
gasket can be reused - so long as it is not cracked. They will not be very much new anyway.

jardon
Monday 11th June 2012, 11:01
Just a couple of genuine questions, what is an "intermittent zero/low pedal input rpm wobble" exactly? I ask because I'll look out for it one mine.

Secondly, what's an ETM gasket and will I need to get one or is this optional?

Regards

James

Hi James, now and again (but more frequently lately) the revs are unstable (wobbly) at idle (zero pedal input) and just off idle (low pedal input around 1200 rpm). When I log a few things that may alter idle stability like ignition angle, fuelling, exhaust cam angle and throttle angle I notice that all is stable except the throttle angle which wanders around from 0.4% open to 5% open even though the pedal input is not altering. At higher levels of pedal input the throttle angle is stable. At low throttle angles it is more likely to be getting stuck on any varnish that has built up on the plate/body so I'm hoping that's what I find.

I bought a new gasket for ~£3 on Tim Williams advice.

M-R-P
Monday 11th June 2012, 11:45
Did my etm a week ago and although mine wasn't too bad (coked-up around the gaps at each side of the paddle) cleaning it made a noticeable but not huge difference. I took - out the intercooler to etm pipe and had a feel around for the 10mm bolts that hold the etm on then guided a socket with a 3" extension on it, on to the bolts. I found that leaving a few turns on the bolt that's easiest to get to, then undo the rest. This allows you to unplug and get the etm out without dropping it (like I did lol)

Another little tip... Clean it outside... Mrs. MRP said that discharging half a can of Wynn's carb cleaner in the kitchen was "a effin' stupid thing to do". Apparently the fumes from said carb cleaner are quite strong, although after a few minutes, I didn't care lol ;)

I want a T5
Monday 11th June 2012, 12:21
Should have put it in the dishwasher Martin!

I threatened to put a comet in the dishwasher when I was cleaning them up prior to painting! In fairness, the missus didn't freak but threatened me with castration and the requirement of buying a new one if I bu66ered it up!

M-R-P
Monday 11th June 2012, 15:07
We have a really posh dishwasher...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/DSCF7007.jpg
I can get away with the odd air filter but I put a really greasy bonnet release catch in there a while ago and she went nuclear!

V70 Graham
Monday 11th June 2012, 15:31

Do you have cree led's in your dishwasher !

M-R-P
Monday 11th June 2012, 15:35
Nope, Chavvy blue ones (cree would be white ;)) - Seimens call it "emotion lighting" bloody thing gives me something close to ark-eye when I'm trying to fill it!

JamesT5
Monday 11th June 2012, 16:51
Did my etm a week ago and although mine wasn't too bad (coked-up around the gaps at each side of the paddle) cleaning it made a noticeable but not huge difference. I took - out the intercooler to etm pipe and had a feel around for the 10mm bolts that hold the etm on then guided a socket with a 3" extension on it, on to the bolts. I found that leaving a few turns on the bolt that's easiest to get to, then undo the rest. This allows you to unplug and get the etm out without dropping it (like I did lol)

Another little tip... Clean it outside... Mrs. MRP said that discharging half a can of Wynn's carb cleaner in the kitchen was "a effin' stupid thing to do". Apparently the fumes from said carb cleaner are quite strong, although after a few minutes, I didn't care lol ;)

I love your last paragraph about 'discharging half a can of Wynn's Carb cleaner in the kitchen', Mrs MRP and "a effin' stupid thing to do".... It made me laugh! :biggrin:

Thanks for the entertaining advice though! ;)

Regards

James

JamesT5
Monday 11th June 2012, 16:54
I can get away with the odd air filter but I put a really greasy bonnet release catch in there a while ago and she went nuclear!

"she went nuclear" LMAO! :ices_rofl

M-R-P
Monday 11th June 2012, 17:15
Glad my efforts made you smile.
The wife doesn't loose her temper often, nor does she swear much.
So, when she does go-off on one and starts swearing, even I take note and I'm 8" taller and almost twice her weight!
'Ard-nosed East-Londoner ;)

jardon
Thursday 14th June 2012, 10:33
Cleaned mine last night - what a fanny of a place to get to though!! Used half a can of carb spray and a cloth to remove the black gunge. I wouldn't say it was very grubby but there was potential for the blade to stick at closed I guess.

More concerning was the "tide mark" of wear at the closed position - it was quite rough in places and the last garage who cleaned the ETM have left screwdriver gouges on the blade in places!!. I used T-Cut to lightly polish out the slightly rougher areas. One area was raised where the blade was fouling it at full closed so I lightly emery clothed it flat and more T-cut.

After refitting I can't honestly say I notice any improvement at idle or low pedal input (I suspect MAF as it's fine with the MAF unplugged). Interestingly though if I log throttle angle it says O% at idle now where before it was always 0.8% - it must be moving more freely I think.

I replaced the starter motor too and that has resolved the flicking tacho and hard starting issue. I guess the ETM needs to have full control for starting too so worth doing overall. Thanks to Marting for his tips on leaving one bolt in too.

My ETM rests in an almost closed position when off the car - there is no free play around that point but it was "clicky" when pushed to full closed or full open. Anybody else noticed this?

M-R-P
Thursday 14th June 2012, 11:13
Is yours the marelli etm or bosch?
my bosch si smooth as a cashmere sausage right through :)

JamesT5
Thursday 14th June 2012, 11:48
Cleaned mine last night - what a fanny of a place to get to though!! Used half a can of carb spray and a cloth to remove the black gunge. I wouldn't say it was very grubby but there was potential for the blade to stick at closed I guess.

More concerning was the "tide mark" of wear at the closed position - it was quite rough in places and the last garage who cleaned the ETM have left screwdriver gouges on the blade in places!!. I used T-Cut to lightly polish out the slightly rougher areas. One area was raised where the blade was fouling it at full closed so I lightly emery clothed it flat and more T-cut.

After refitting I can't honestly say I notice any improvement at idle or low pedal input (I suspect MAF as it's fine with the MAF unplugged). Interestingly though if I log throttle angle it says O% at idle now where before it was always 0.8% - it must be moving more freely I think.

I replaced the starter motor too and that has resolved the flicking tacho and hard starting issue. I guess the ETM needs to have full control for starting too so worth doing overall. Thanks to Marting for his tips on leaving one bolt in too.

My ETM rests in an almost closed position when off the car - there is no free play around that point but it was "clicky" when pushed to full closed or full open. Anybody else noticed this?

I noticed the butterfly plate wasn't fully closed when off the car but I noticed no clicking when I pushed it back and forth.

Regards

James

M-R-P
Thursday 14th June 2012, 11:59
The butterfly always has a small gap around the tips furthest away from the pivot point. think it's to stop it closing completely. I have it on mine and there's no signs of wear at all, it just had a build up of crud.

jardon
Thursday 14th June 2012, 12:38
Cheers both, mine is a Bosch ETM. It has movement both sides of the resting position ie: it can and does close completely at times. When pushed open it is smooth but at the extreme open position it has a click and same at fully closed. It doesn't feel like a "faulty" click but just wondered what was going on.

M-R-P
Thursday 14th June 2012, 12:59
No idea mate :)