PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sanding

bubba_1986
Thursday 7th June 2012, 17:06
Has anyone seen this guys thread on dw ?

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=141365

I am going to attempt to wet sand some patches of mine, put thread up to try get a unit indoors as doing outside is near impossible ( i live in scotland mind lol )

Anyone ever tried it on here, except wobblydave ;) lol

dps1973
Thursday 7th June 2012, 17:14
Has anyone seen this guys thread on dw ?

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=141365

I am going to attempt to wet sand some patches of mine, put thread up to try get a unit indoors as doing outside is near impossible ( i live in scotland mind lol )

Anyone ever tried it on here, except wobblydave ;) lol

Yes I have I own a detailing business ;)

bubba_1986
Thursday 7th June 2012, 17:26
What wet and dry do you use, this guy seems to use unigrit, he said he used down to 4000 but can't find that for hand applied paper.

Not wanting to do all my car, just some bits to see the result, can't afford to invest in a paint depth gauge

T5RPete
Thursday 7th June 2012, 17:27
Jeez thats mental!! I never realised there was so much to this detailing lark!

bubba_1986
Thursday 7th June 2012, 17:30
Jeez thats mental!! I never realised there was so much to this detailing lark!

Lol, well worth it though. The results i have had in past with wobbly were good. 80 hrs is a long time. I am looking at putting 3 days aside for mine. Need a indoor unit :-(

dps1973
Thursday 7th June 2012, 17:32
The finest we use is 3000 and we don't have any problems. Are u local to merseyside? I have a pdg u could use to take some readings. Be very carefully around sueges etc.

dps1973
Thursday 7th June 2012, 17:34
You defo need to do it indoors mate. Yes the results can be amazing, you would be surprised at the dreadfull results which come out of the factory with orange peel paint

T5RPete
Thursday 7th June 2012, 17:44
Lol, well worth it though. The results i have had in past with wobbly were good. 80 hrs is a long time. I am looking at putting 3 days aside for mine. Need a indoor unit :-(

I couldn't believe it when I read the 80hours! But the results on that Beemer are amazing!

Tomcat
Thursday 7th June 2012, 17:47
God I fekkin hate wet sanding by hand,you can tell when you've been at it too long because your fingerprints vanish,lol.. Speaking about detailing though as we are it is an art form in itself, as I airbrush the quality of the clear that goes over the top is always important that's why I take plenty of time to cut back the orange peel and get a lovely mirror shine afterwards.

Haizum74
Friday 8th June 2012, 16:47
I am sure I watched a video not long back that suggested if you have orange peel then clear coat it and sand that back. Is that one way of doing it or the cheats way?

Porcine_Aviator
Friday 8th June 2012, 17:05
If you want your car sanding come down to Weston today the gale that's blowing is lifting the sand up really well and blasting everything on the seafront. :)

Sorry couldn't resist it.