PDA

View Full Version : Deposit Placed....Rebel Ship

vaderboyo
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 00:10
Fingers crossed this will shortly be project "Rebel Ship".

After asking a few daft questions and generally pestering members I took the plunge today and put a deposit on this:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2434

It's a completely standard V70 AWD with 240bhp, FSH, auto, 130k on the clock with half cream leather interior. It needs some cosmetics done to it but nothing some G3 and a fresh coat of paint here and there won't sort.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2435

I was all set for an 850 T5, then the wife saw this and took a shine to it...."half the battle" I thought to myself :deal:

Plans for this are going to be modest, full service first, sort out any mechanical issues and then sort out the bodywork. The hyperdrive will be given the once over by chewee once he's finished coughing up that furr ball.....

Would like to put her on 17" alloys, slight drop in ride height and subtle tint to rear windows, nicer grill and some nice mats for the inside..nothing major.

Picking her up this saturday, will post pics as I go along :B_thumb:

M-R-P
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 00:12
looks tidy mate. Watching with interest :)

deathrider311271
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 00:21
nice motor mate but its not a T5, its a 2.4T so will have 193bhp not 240bhp. As far as im aware they didnt make a T5 AWD

Simon

Harvey
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 00:39
now the fun starts nice motor.

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 00:40
Nice motor, will be an interesting project and may I wish you the best of luck with it. Unfortunately i think deathrider is probably right about the power output, but who knows who has tinkered with what...lol

vaderboyo
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 00:52
Nice motor, will be an interesting project and may I wish you the best of luck with it. Unfortunately i think deathrider is probably right about the power output, but who knows who has tinkered with what...lol

cheers all....I thought the same aswell but apparently its got a 'big turbo' on it...not sure if this was done after it was bought (1 owner only) or whether it came out of the factory like that, but agree its not a T5.

Anyway 193 or 240 bhp I dont really mind, my last car only had 115bhp so its going to feel very different:cool:

I'll scan the paper work and post it up here next weekend so we can all see what lies under the bonnet :B_thumb:

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 01:00
cheers all....I thought the same aswell but apparently its got a 'big turbo' on it...not sure if this was done after it was bought (1 owner only) or whether it came out of the factory like that, but agree its not a T5.

Anyway 193 or 240 bhp I dont really mind, my last car only had 115bhp so its going to feel very different:cool:

I'll scan the paper work and post it up here next weekend so we can all see what lies under the bonnet :B_thumb:

never knew what turbo they ran, but always believed it was a low pressure job,on a high compression engine. it will be interesting to find out what it has?

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 01:01
Cool, another AWD. Don't let the AWD bashing get you down.

Just make sure the awd is working and the tyres are the same tread depth as different wear can strain the system and break it.

The LPT runs a 9:1 compression. HPTs run at 8.5:1

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 01:05
Cool, another AWD. Don't let the AWD bashing get you down.

Just make sure the awd is working and the tyres are the same tread depth as different wear can strain the system and break it.

I'm not bashing the awd, we've got one too, just look in my garage. I'm just interested in what lies beneath the hood..

smithy
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 01:18

Find out turbo it's got first then remap to suit .i had a 2.5lpt and remapped that and it was dam quick due to the small turbo

vaderboyo
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 01:27
The guy selling it said it had the big turbo?..its not got the correct alloys either. Makes you think that a few bits from a T5 have found their way onto this maybe....let it be a voyage of discovery lol

It will be interesting to compare the AWD against my previous quattros.....buying 4 tyres in one go is always a pain lol

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 09:18
I'm not bashing the awd, we've got one too, just look in my garage. I'm just interested in what lies beneath the hood..

Lol, sorry I meant the bashing to come.

vaderboyo
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 15:51
3 days to go B-)

T5frankie
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 15:53
"the big turbo" lol what does that mean? lol, ask him what turbo it has

V70 Graham
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 21:50
Looks a nice car, will be watching what you do with it with interest.

vaderboyo
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 22:57
"the big turbo" lol what does that mean? lol, ask him what turbo it has

I honestly dont think the guy knows, but he says theres a stack of paperwork detailong what looks like a turbo upgrade done by volvo dealership? Plot thickens yet again.

What are the 2.4 xt engines rated to take then chaps, does smaller turbo equate to more or less pressure on internals?

deathrider311271
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 23:09
I honestly dont think the guy knows, but he says theres a stack of paperwork detailong what looks like a turbo upgrade done by volvo dealership? Plot thickens yet again.

What are the 2.4 xt engines rated to take then chaps, does smaller turbo equate to more or less pressure on internals?

with the right hardware and correct mapping you will see in excess of 300bhp.

Now i know im going to be shot down for that statement, but i have been talking to a guy who is running over 400bhp on this engine.

This is going to be fun!!!!!!!!!!

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 23:14
The 2.4 LPT engine runs a slightly smaller turbo than the HPT which means it spools quicker. Standard boost is limited to ~6psi by the ecu and boost peaks at 4800rpm and drops off after that. So it is held back quite a lot really.

Problem is the engine is a bit higher compression (9:1) so increased boost is more of a problem than on a HPT engine.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 23:16

Now i know im going to be shot down for that statement, but i have been talking to a guy who is running over 400bhp on this engine.

LOL, I'm in the same boat matey. Though mine has broke its probably down to my DIY mapping :(

deathrider311271
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 23:26
LOL, I'm in the same boat matey. Though mine has broke its probably down to my DIY mapping :(

how have you broken it?? DIY mapping?? you running a turbo tuner?

vaderboyo
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 23:27

cheers for the info....now I really cant wait to pick her up :B_thumb:

300 bhp with auto and AWD to get it down properly....can feel a credit card attack coming on :smile:

vaderboyo
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 23:40
The 2.4 LPT engine runs a slightly smaller turbo than the HPT which means it spools quicker. Standard boost is limited to ~6psi by the ecu and boost peaks at 4800rpm and drops off after that. So it is held back quite a lot really.

Problem is the engine is a bit higher compression (9:1) so increased boost is more of a problem than on a HPT engine.

thinking about it that will suit my driving style, i had a mint audi urs4 2.2 5 pot 20v turbo for a few years, it was running a 285bhp mtm ecu and it replaced my first T5, problem was there was loads of lag on the turbo, lots more than what I experienced on the T5. The audi was no slouch getting to a 100, but it was mental over 100mph, all the power came in at the peak of the rev range...wasnt keen on this.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 23:42
how have you broken it?? DIY mapping?? you running a turbo tuner?
Head gasket went around Christmas, replaced it myself in February and it lasted a week before I got overpressure in the cooling system again. So somethings gone wrong, whether cracked liner or cheapo head gasket (didn't use genuine). Have got another engine now, just stripping it and getting forged rods soon (hopefully).

No turbo tuner, cant afford one of those. Just a cheap (£25) chip programmer and a map editing software (Motronic suite and WinOLS) and a shed load of time spent finding maps (as my AWD ecu is different)

t5_monkey
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 23:42
Looks like an interesting project :)

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 23:44
thinking about it that will suit my driving style, i had a mint audi urs4 2.2 5 pot 20v turbo for a few years, it was running a 285bhp mtm ecu and it replaced my first T5, problem was there was loads of lag on the turbo, lots more than what I experienced on the T5. The audi was no slouch getting to a 100, but it was mental over 100mph, all the power came in at the peak of the rev range...wasnt keen on this.
Thats whats good about the LPT, as standard its quick off the mark and picks up really well (as long as everything is working no leaks, etc), but the ecu really holds it back, and theres a lot of room for more, a remap would make a big difference.

vaderboyo
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 23:52
Thats whats good about the LPT, as standard its quick off the mark and picks up really well (as long as everything is working no leaks, etc), but the ecu really holds it back, and theres a lot of room for more, a remap would make a big difference.

I can tell you for sure I wont be doing any diy mapping - last time that I tried that a fried an ECU on the wifes GTi lol

Will give her a good going over mechanically when I get her, check for leaks on boost etc , then after that and sorting the body and doing my little mods, I'll go about getting that remap....happy dayz ahead I hope.

vaderboyo
Saturday 9th June 2012, 00:12
It's like xmas eve in the vader household tonight.....setting off at 11am tomorrow, 3 hour drive to somewhere I've never heard of past Sheffield...car ready for collection after 3pm..:D

merc85
Saturday 9th June 2012, 00:16
Keep us posted mate, Looks a good project ahead

V70 Graham
Saturday 9th June 2012, 08:12
.....waiting for pics :wink:

stribo
Saturday 9th June 2012, 09:06
Lovely looking car, have a fun drive home. ;)

Porcine_Aviator
Saturday 9th June 2012, 14:56
Looking at the reg it's an Isle of Wight so it's not going to have had lots of high speed motoring done in it, if it's OOFN.

vaderboyo
Saturday 9th June 2012, 23:43
cheers all:)

Got home to late to take useful pics, will do this tomorrow, but here goes a written update to keep you all going....

Headed off midday today, took us three hours to get there but well worth the journey.

The big turbo quote remians a mystery, apparently the previous and only other owner declared when she partx'd the car that the turbo unit had been upgraded, but there is no documented evidence of this. I've not checked under the bonnet other than to check oil levels before the journey home..

However, the seller gave me a full volvo dealership printout (cmofdfr display?) showing service undertaken every 10k for the life of car (currently has 130k) all the way back to 1999. Well chuffed, the only thing I cant work out is when the cam belt was changed:smirk:

Radio is locked and is requesting code, but I've found the code tonight written in hanbook justy need to type it in tomorrow:wink:

Anyway onto the car. Body work not bad, list of to do's include:

Respray front and rear bumpers (few scuffs on front, and on lip of rear bumper)
Passenger rear door skin needs repair as previous owner has scrubbed a post!
Tow eye grill cover missing in the front bumper...hunt on ebay to commence
Passenger side fog light needs fixing, but working.
Car needs cutting and polishing to get the best out of the remaining paintwork, but on the plus side its all original paintwork and will come up a treat.

Alloys. tyres and brakes/suspension....All good, 4 alloys could do with a refurb but still very good. Pirelli p6000 all round (good sign) with even tread on each corner. Brakes excellent, no wobbles of vibrations, but..... handbrake awful, needs adjusting only I hope. Suspension perfect, AWD seems fine, couldn't spin her and no funny noises, as good as quattro if not better:biggrin:

Engine and auto box - Again excellent. Engine idles just under 1,000 rpm, pulls away clean with no judering or hesitation. Kickdown excellent especially for overtaing between 45 and 65mph. Car exceptionally quiet on the move, but when pushed 5 pot sounds ace....no problems on the 160mile trip home. Today car averaged 32mpg with me doing 55>80mph.....didn't push her any more than this as I don't know her well enough yet. Temp gauge hovered in the middle of the dial in slow traffic, then dropped down to quarter on the M6.

So far so good...on the indside, with the exception of passenger side window all eletrics work. One of the cup holders has broken on the central arm rest, and the square plastic caps; which I guess; help hold the door panels in place are missing on driver door and rear passenger door.

No unwelcome lights on dashboard, nothing flashed up on the journey home other than the serv insp logo thay would stay on for a bit after igniton turned. Rear fuel flap and tailgate buttons work.

Front heated seats work, seats extremely comfortable as expected, back pain next to zero on the way home so really pleased on that front....big relief.

Seems to me this has been someones second car, something to take the kids to school and the dogs to the park as it has a volvo dog guard in the back. Car needs massive deep clean, and I need to buy new set of mats as the driver side is missing.

Seats and carpet, headling and door panels all near mint. Boot carpet not mint...but I'm confident it will clean up.

So first impressions which go a long way with me, I'm thrilled, enjoyed the drive home, cant wait to have a proper look tomorrow when its not raining. Have already decided shes a keeper. One thing that's very apparent is that its very different to my old 850 T5. The 850 felt a tad sharper in terms of performance (it should as it at 20bhp more plus lighter) whereas the v70 feels grown up and more poised....just initial thougths- either way I like both:biggrin:

Car will go in for handbrake work and oil, oil filter, fuel filter and grearbox oil change next week. Not sure what's needed in terms of maintenance for the AWD system need to research this more.

Then week after next over to bodyshop for once over.

Sorry this has turned out to be a bit of a novel, but I'm well chuffed (I took a risk purchased without viewing first) and it seems to have paid off for once fingers crossed.

........that remap to get more out over 4,000rpm playing on my mind after today...feel like with 200bhp she is no slouch, but something closer to 250bhp would be better power to weight wise......

thanks for reading

deathrider311271
Saturday 9th June 2012, 23:52
change your thermostat mate (gen volvo) it should sit at 3 oclock all the time once warmed up. sounds like a decent motor

Simon

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 9th June 2012, 23:55
Cool, its nice to be happy with a purchase.

Handbrake on the AWDs is generally crap anyway, I've changed the shoes, discs and cables on mine and its still no better.

As for the AWD system, you could change the oil in the angle gear (just behind the engine in the middle) and change the oil in the rear diff. Check the dust boots on the cv joints at each end of the propshaft and check the centre bearing and cv joints for play. Other than that just keep the tyre wear even by swapping the front and rear wheels over. Only other thing to do is replace the angle gear sleeve as these wear, but is a big job to do.

The fuel filter on the AWD is above the the petrol tank and is a bit of a pain to get to.

The standard ecu map is a bit reserved after 4000rpm unfortunately.

All you need now is some snow :D :D

V70 Graham
Sunday 10th June 2012, 22:58
Really glad you are happy with your purchase, hope you have many (trouble free) times ahead !

vaderboyo
Tuesday 12th June 2012, 22:44
Hi, as promised some pics of me new AWD XT

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2440

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2439

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2438

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2437

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2436

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2441

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2447

missing trim shot...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2445

needs painting a bit...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2446

There's a knocking noise from front left side suspension, think it sounds like top mount is on the way out?

The bumpers need to be resprayed plus the door skins on the rear passenger doors need sorting, once this is done I'll G3 and polish the lot.

Driving within legal speed limits since saturday has returned average of 28mpg, 400 miles from 'nearly' full talk....yawn..lol

Performance is really good, picks up well through the gears, goes like stonk from zero to hero, the awd makes roundabout a breeze :smile: Its very quiet up to 1 hund..cough cough....but does fall off after 4,000 revs. Remap is making more sense by the day....but....

a tiny little blip has appeared on the happy horizon in the form of orange engine management light :slap: Happened this morning. Can anyone point me in the right direction of handheld diagnostic code puller so that I can read the code and re-sett the light please, would be most grateful.

:B_thumb:

deathrider311271
Tuesday 12th June 2012, 22:57
do you have an android phone?? if so download Torque pro its only £2.95 and get yourself an Elm327???? bluetooth less than £15. then start having fun with all the functions on Torque

vaderboyo
Tuesday 12th June 2012, 23:03
do you have an android phone?? if so download Torque pro its only £2.95 and get yourself an Elm327???? bluetooth less than £15. then start having fun with all the functions on Torque

No way! I have a HTC sensation...will defo try that....off to ebay now :wavey:

V70 Graham
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 09:54
Nice looking car you have there, you must be pleased.

vaderboyo
Thursday 14th June 2012, 00:56
Nice looking car you have there, you must be pleased.

Very pleased thanks. I suspect the ETM needs doing on it as the idle is eratic when I'm off the throttle, but I dont mind sorting these issues out the car only cost be £795 :biggrin:

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 14th June 2012, 12:04
Is it definately the ME7 engine with the ETM?

Erratic idle might be a leak somewhere so check all the intake and vacuum piping just to be sure.

Nice car buddy :D Hope you have many happy days in it!

vaderboyo
Friday 15th June 2012, 20:37
Is it definately the ME7 engine with the ETM?

Erratic idle might be a leak somewhere so check all the intake and vacuum piping just to be sure.

Nice car buddy :D Hope you have many happy days in it!

cheers will check this, typical me always thinking the worst first lol....

I have to say I really like it, the fact that I can boot it on the roundabouts and it just goes whatever the road conditions are is brilliant.

I need to remap it though, if I could get standard T5 performance from it (power wise) it would be me ideal motor :D

deathrider311271
Saturday 16th June 2012, 00:21
cheers will check this, typical me always thinking the worst first lol....

I have to say I really like it, the fact that I can boot it on the roundabouts and it just goes whatever the road conditions are is brilliant.

I need to remap it though, if I could get standard T5 performance from it (power wise) it would be me ideal motor :D

Eratic idle can be a number of things, MAF sensor, bad lambda, vac leak, throttle pedal or ETM, you need to get the codes matey, any lights on the dash staying on?

There is a cheap fix if it is ETM

Simon

vaderboyo
Saturday 16th June 2012, 01:14
Eratic idle can be a number of things, MAF sensor, bad lambda, vac leak, throttle pedal or ETM, you need to get the codes matey, any lights on the dash staying on?

There is a cheap fix if it is ETM

Simon

cheers, just waiting for bluetooth OBD adapter for torque app so that I can pull the codes.

Been on the RICA web site earlier, they do a 239bhp upgrade with bags of torque, guessing this is still on the conservative side as not to put turbo/engine under to much pressure. something to ponder over ;)

vaderboyo
Saturday 16th June 2012, 01:17
cheers, just waiting for bluetooth OBD adapter for torque app so that I can pull the codes.

Been on the RICA web site earlier, they do a 239bhp upgrade with bags of torque, guessing this is still on the conservative side as not to put turbo/engine under to much pressure. something to ponder over ;)

sorry yes engine management light came on Thursday morning, car still goes like stonk though :D

deathrider311271
Saturday 16th June 2012, 11:09
sorry yes engine management light came on Thursday morning, car still goes like stonk though :D

if its just the engine management light its not going to be your ETM, more likely to be MAF or lambda sensor

simon

vaderboyo
Saturday 16th June 2012, 11:19
Ive got a lot to learn....

My 80 quattro had no ECU and old bosch mechanical fuel injection lol

vaderboyo
Wednesday 20th June 2012, 23:02
First two small mods, new number plates with the Welsh Dragon, always useful when you get lost people will see this and point me in the direction of Wales :)

Also, AWD badge removed for a very valid reason. The roadholding ability of my big Volvo is pretty ace. Ive noticed of late a few people tailing me, trying to keep up lol, they do their best to stay with me on roundabouts and sharp bends.....now that Ive removed the AWD badge they wont realise how much grip I have and its just a matter of time before someone pushes their car to far trying to keep up :banana:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2458

Need to get her to a body shop asap to sort the rear door skins...althought it may work out cheaper just to buy replacement doors...will have to see.

Have started to price up lowering springs, and on the look out for some 17" alloys.

Need new fogs for the front, and have plan to modify the grill and the lower three piece grill sections also.

Have also been researching ways of upping power. 240bhp seems very achievable via remap, so will sort breathing and exhaust first.

Got some carbon fibre wrap today as have some ideas re bits of trim.

Also, pondering over whether to open up the left hand side exhasut section in the bumper and replace rear box to match..think it woud look good.

vaderboyo
Friday 29th June 2012, 19:00
Massive thank you to stephenevans99 for donating his prancing moose decals towards my project, stuck them on the car today and well chuffed. Just hope thay are left alone as sometimes things get pinched from works car park. Also got grill bade and spare set of decals on order with d5kerry, so prepared for all eventualities now.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2476

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2477

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2474

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2475

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2479

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2478

Well chuffed thanks Steve

stephenevans99
Friday 29th June 2012, 19:13
You're very welcome mate.....consider yourself truely Moosed Up.

vaderboyo
Monday 2nd July 2012, 11:12
Couldn't find one of these on flebay or wanted section so popped over to my local volvo part dept this http://www.dealer.volvocars.co.uk/uk/en/dealerpages/2109/default.aspxmorning and picked up this for £10.80 :biggrin:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2480

Looks much better now....

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2481

although you cant really see it in this pic lol. While doing this noticed that the drivers side fog lamp was shot and passenger side not aligned correctly...I hadn't tried them since I purchased the car, did so and neither work....so that's another job on the list.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2482

Got round to cleaning the exhaust tail pipe yesterday, just need some wire wool and polish now, it was truly disgusting...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2483

Also got quote for respraying both bumpers and sorting out the door - came in at £150 at local backstreet sprayer....he's done some work for me /mates before his work is top notch, so thats going to get sorted next week. Also had quote for tinting the windows...hmm more than I expected but they are big windows lol

The only downer at the mo is that one of the moose badges has started to peel off its backing :(think it was a combination of heavy rain and seagull crap (I kid you not) going to try and glue it back..

V70 Graham
Monday 2nd July 2012, 11:52
Do you not mean the drivers side fog light was shot AT lol
Nice to see your getting there bit by bit, looking better all the time.

timbo
Monday 2nd July 2012, 12:31
Hey Vaderboyo, congrats on the stealth AWD, I had the same problem as you, eratic idle and Lambda light on feared the worst, got codes read but no codes found, inspected rubber hoses and found two had split from the actuator to boost control valve, replace them and problem solved! Hope its a simple fix for you!

Dangerous Dave
Monday 2nd July 2012, 13:00
Looking good there buddy!

vaderboyo
Monday 2nd July 2012, 20:52
Do you not mean the drivers side fog light was shot AT lol
Nice to see your getting there bit by bit, looking better all the time.

it does look like someone has had a pop with an air rifle doesn't it lol

vaderboyo
Monday 2nd July 2012, 20:55
Hey Vaderboyo, congrats on the stealth AWD, I had the same problem as you, eratic idle and Lambda light on feared the worst, got codes read but no codes found, inspected rubber hoses and found two had split from the actuator to boost control valve, replace them and problem solved! Hope its a simple fix for you!

cheers for this, I need to spend some time on the engine bay, need to inspect the cambelt also as I have no idea when it was last replaced, nothing on service records and no stickers in the engine bay.....it could so with a good steam clean and some engine bay cleaner.

Will check the hoses asap :B_thumb:

vaderboyo
Sunday 8th July 2012, 15:13
Got round to fixing the badges today. The purists wont like what Ive done with the badge on the rear...but its how I like it. Had to trim the edges of the grill badge to get it to fit, but I really like the result, much better than the original one.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2486

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2487

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2488

Also, had some 3m carbon fiber spare so did my own rear bumper cover....not perfect but I like the look

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2489

vaderboyo
Sunday 8th July 2012, 15:25
Rose tinted glasses and all that but I really like the way Rebel Ship is coming on...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2490

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2491

Need to sort out the stance and wheels asap, had ordered set of apex springs but turned out to be wrong fitment.....

Started to get rid of the roof mounted mobile phone aerial, might fit a shark version instead as not entirely sure how I'm going to plug the hole without it looking pance

vaderboyo
Sunday 8th July 2012, 15:33
Better close up...might order another one just to get it 100%.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2492

Need to black the st of the grill now.

V70 Graham
Sunday 8th July 2012, 20:13
Coming along nicely, quite like the look of the bumper cover.

vaderboyo
Friday 10th August 2012, 22:35

blacked the grill today, two coats of matt black, just need to laquer it now to protect it from stone chips.

Gave the body a good going over with G3...great stuff.

Thinking about taking the roof rails off now.....hmm..

Also got AWD shocks and springs on order, thought about it long and hard and decided she will be no good in the snow slammed to within an inch of her life, so AWD R height better than standard AWD and a fair comprimise.

vaderboyo
Friday 17th August 2012, 17:52
Still waiting for my AWD suspension, will have to chase it up over the weekend.

Debadged the rear today and modified the grill a bit more, think I know where I'm going with this now

vaderboyo
Friday 17th August 2012, 18:04
cant get the hang of this photo size thing anymore, every pic I load goes tichy on me sory lol

V70 Graham
Friday 17th August 2012, 18:52
cant get the hang of this photo size thing anymore, every pic I load goes tichy on me sory lol

Would be a lot easier if you used a site like photobucket, very easy and free too.

vaderboyo
Saturday 18th August 2012, 00:33
Cheers, think I'm getting the hang of it now lol

vaderboyo
Saturday 18th August 2012, 00:34

vaderboyo
Saturday 18th August 2012, 00:50
and one from the back..

vaderboyo
Saturday 18th August 2012, 00:52
and hit this the day before :mad:

damage to tyre wall passenger side....will need to change both fronts now

vaderboyo
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 15:22
These arrived yesterday..AWD R set up

in great condition, no leaks and top mounts sound..just need some cleaning and painting up.

got some other bits stored and a few more parts to be sourced over the coming weeks.

JamesT5
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 15:24
Fingers crossed this will shortly be project "Rebel Ship".

After asking a few daft questions and generally pestering members I took the plunge today and put a deposit on this:

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2434

It's a completely standard V70 AWD with 240bhp, FSH, auto, 130k on the clock with half cream leather interior. It needs some cosmetics done to it but nothing some G3 and a fresh coat of paint here and there won't sort.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=353&pictureid=2435

I was all set for an 850 T5, then the wife saw this and took a shine to it...."half the battle" I thought to myself :deal:

Plans for this are going to be modest, full service first, sort out any mechanical issues and then sort out the bodywork. The hyperdrive will be given the once over by chewee once he's finished coughing up that furr ball.....

Would like to put her on 17" alloys, slight drop in ride height and subtle tint to rear windows, nicer grill and some nice mats for the inside..nothing major.

Picking her up this saturday, will post pics as I go along :B_thumb:

Mechanicals first and then cosmetic stuff is a really good plan mate. That's what my plan is with my V70, the mechnicals have proved to be top priority, and my logic is, get it working and then think about making it look pretty.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

Regards

James

vaderboyo
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 22:23
Old AWD shocks off and replaced with R spec all round...it has made a big difference and I'm well chuffed but not been able to take a decent photo.

Fifi bag optional extra...

vaderboyo
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 22:25
Thinks its dropped the front my about 2 inches...

vaderboyo
Sunday 9th September 2012, 01:38
Better pics....before

and after

close up lol

need to get some bigger alloys now :smileypul

kfc
Sunday 9th September 2012, 09:49
That looks better. Nice job so far.

V70 Graham
Sunday 9th September 2012, 11:17
That looks a lot better, but as you said brings attention to the wheels more now lol

vaderboyo
Sunday 9th September 2012, 12:20
yep lol......on the lookout for 17 or18" pegs.

Hoping to get her in the bodyshop next, some fresh paint will make a huge difference.

Just need the R front bumper and cream leathers / window tints and jobs done :-)

Whats next on your list Graham....cant be much left to do ?

V70 Graham
Sunday 9th September 2012, 13:49
Whats next on your list Graham....cant be much left to do ?

Still searching for a wood and leather steering wheel, apart from that not a lot left, may replace tailgate struts at some point.

vaderboyo
Wednesday 12th September 2012, 20:26
good luck with your search...will keep an eye out for one on bay the thieves :-)