PDA

View Full Version : How much to swap out a blown head gaskette?

Tomcat
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 16:27
Just been looking at an 850R with a blown headgaskette online, what sort of money are we looking at in parts?.. Not done a head gaskette on one of these yet but that doesn't worry me, are we talking warped heads or just replace the gaskette and Roberts your mothers brother?.

Car was advertised as a manual but sadly it's a fekkin auto, I can buy it and have it brought home for less than 650.

oblark
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 16:35
A head gasket is around £30 and about a day to change.

t5 pete
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 16:37
Tomcat your old 850r comes to mind you bought that wanting to do it up and in the end you just wished you had bought a good one by the time you had wasted all your money on ti

Tomcat
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 16:40
Tomcat your old 850r comes to mind you bought that wanting to do it up and in the end you just wished you had bought a good one by the time you had wasted all your money on ti

I know Pete the difference this time is I don't have any extra money, I have a limited amount of time and cash so I'll have to take what I can find, I don't mind a fixer upper if the price is right.

dps1973
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 16:57
Personally I would steer clear of that mate, could have other issues. And if the head needs skimming cold end up costing a few quid mate. Just my 2 peneth worth.

p fandango
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 17:00
i've seen 850's sold dirty cheap because the head gaskets said to have gone, & turns out to the oil cooler in the rad

claymore
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 17:03
Cheaper to throw another engine in it

Tomcat
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 17:11
Cars 500 if you include about 140 to get it to my house it's still a bargain.

T5frankie
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 17:14
i have an engine for a £100 if you want it

dps1973
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 17:15
Cars 500 if you include about 140 to get it to my house it's still a bargain.

True

Tomcat
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 17:46
i have an engine for a £100 if you want it

Cheers for the offer, what would it cost to ship to me up here in the cold cold north?..

leet5r
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 17:50
might aswell do the belts and water pump then ya know its sweet , av just sold a complete head with a fresh skim with all the bolts and gaskets

Tomcat
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 17:52
might aswell do the belts and water pump then ya know its sweet , av just sold a complete head with a fresh skim with all the bolts and gaskets

Thanks Lee.....that's not helping,lol...

daza-b
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 17:54
Cheers for the offer, what would it cost to ship to me up here in the cold cold north?..

about 50 quid with palletways

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 18:04
Headgasket kit is about £90 nowadays, new head bolts £40, timing belt £20-30, head skim £??, water pump £40, plus various stuff such as sealant for the rocker cover, etc. Time wise mine took 2 days, but that was with me dismantling the head and changing the stem seals. Longer if you have to get it skimmed.

Thing with a new headgasket is that you know its sorted, and a new cam belt fitted gives peace of mind. Mine was blowing oil out all over the place, changed the stem seals and not a drop now.

Tomcat
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 18:15
Cheers for that, I don't know the mileage yet so I suppose it just depends on that, if it's mega high mileage I may just stick another engine in it.

daza-b
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 18:16
if u need help with it ill help best i can bud

Tomcat
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 18:18
if u need help with it ill help best i can bud

Cheers, it's good of you to offer.

daza-b
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 18:21
Cheers, it's good of you to offer.

not a prob bud lol i have engine cranes and everything if u wanna do engine changes and access to trade parts etc :)

shaun850
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 18:23
Tc if your serious i can sort you out with parts via pm

Tomcat
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 18:29
Thanks for the offers guys, tried ringing him back but he's not answering the phone, what sort of guy who's trying to sell his car goes out without his mobile when someone who's interested says they'll call you back later?

dps1973
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 18:31
Thanks for the offers guys, tried ringing him back but he's not answering the phone, what sort of guy who's trying to sell his car goes out without his mobile when someone who's interested says they'll call you back later?

A jebend kind of guy

nottsgreent5
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 21:38

In all fairness ive got the car now i no tc did alot to it but ive had it 6 month ish apart from the dodgy hand break and a whining bearing its bin bang on