PDA

View Full Version : Problems on full lock

Pauld
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 14:16
Hi

When of full lock, right hand down, the front wheel(s) are catching so such an extent that it can stop the car.

Any thoughts as to the cause, i original thought it was the wheels as they were aftermarket and wider 215 vs 195 but changed them today (to originals) and if anything the problem is worse, i.e. it is catching with less lock.

Thanks

foammanmark
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 14:41
Is it the tyres catching the wheelarchliners? Can you see damage to the wheelarchliners?

Shadow
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 16:26
cheack the steering stops on the lower wishbones. they can fall off and this lets the wheels turn further than there suposed to.

foammanmark
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 16:29
Exactly what I'm thinking. I've had to have thicker stops put on my p1 V70 T5 as I'm running 225/45 17's and had bad rub. If the stops have dropped off then that's the reason.

Pauld
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 17:34
I have been having a look and think I have worked out the problem:-

The track rod is banana shaped, and has been fitted the wrong way round.

So, either it is the wrong part i.e. a nearside track rod fitted to the offside.

or, the track rod end needs to come off and replaced correctly.

Is the track rod a complete unit, with the track rod end?

Help I have just been out and the turning circle is terrible! Any recommendations gratefully received.

Shadow
Wednesday 6th June 2012, 10:27
the track rod is seprate from the track rod end. is quite an easy job to replace the track rod is just screwed on to the end of the steering rack. just remove the gaiter from the end of the rack and you'll see where it comes apart.