PDA

View Full Version : Are ph2 cars expensive to maintain?

Tomcat
Monday 4th June 2012, 20:44
Whilst looking around for cars Ive seen a few cheap phase 2 cars,are they still expensive to repair/maintain?, is the ETM / DMF still expensive to sort?

Santa
Monday 4th June 2012, 20:46
They can be depending on failures but normal servicing costs like cambelt changes etc are relatively cheap. (I think)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th June 2012, 20:49
ETM is a lot cheaper that it used to be. DMF - I am not sure. Mine lasted till 155K.

Tomcat
Monday 4th June 2012, 21:08
I read somewhere today that it could be done for sub 200 for the etm, is this true?.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 4th June 2012, 21:15
Not sure - I had mine replaced when they were still expensive. 2nd hand units are cheaper.

I thought the main issue with the phase 2 is the diabolical turning circle.

Tomcat
Monday 4th June 2012, 21:17
Oh, lol, not heard about that...

LiamT4
Monday 4th June 2012, 21:20
Not sure - I had mine replaced when they were still expensive. 2nd hand units are cheaper.

Oh, lol, not heard about that...

Aircraft carriers have a better turning circle. lol

M-R-P
Monday 4th June 2012, 21:52
Past 2004, etm, dim and other electrical gremlins were fixed. Dmf will cost you circa 500 quid. Other than that, they're bloody great :)

S1mon
Monday 4th June 2012, 23:04
On my S60 I've just changed oil/air/pollen/fuel filters, engine and gearbox oil, polybushed front lower control arms and had 4 wheel alignment adjusted. I used genuine parts and fitted it all myself so no labour there and all costed £230. I think that's pretty reasonable for a full service. My cambelt has already been changed but they're only ~£100 for a genuine kit. Only thing I think is expensive that will fail if it hasn't been done already is the alarm siren module. £160.

JamesT5
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 00:03
Whilst looking around for cars Ive seen a few cheap phase 2 cars,are they still expensive to repair/maintain?, is the ETM / DMF still expensive to sort?

I think it depends what goes wrong and when. I haven't spent a fortune on mine but have had lots of niggles with it. Mind you, it has got 225,000+ on the clock!

Regards

James

JamesT5
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 00:05
Past 2004, etm, dim and other electrical gremlins were fixed. Dmf will cost you circa 500 quid. Other than that, they're bloody great :)

Oh yes, "electical gremlins", my worst enemy!

t5_monkey
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 00:19
well my clutch isn't looking too cheap !

M-R-P
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 08:58
well my clutch isn't looking too cheap !

150 for clutch, 120 for slave 500+ for DMF (lightened one is 250-350)

cheap shocks are about 130 a pair, good ones are up to 220.

front 305s are 86 for OE Brembos

10 quid for track rods

hub carrier bolts are 13 quid a set

rubber shock top mounts are 30 quid a pair, as are the top mount bearings.

OE top engine mount is 20 quid, poly is 25.

lower mounts are the same as P1/850

These are all GSF/Euro prices.

Everything is bigger on a p2 - where you would find M12 bolts holding the hub to the shock on the 850, it's M14 on P2 etc. etc.

Harvey
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 09:03
Standard service parts are about the same as most car's this size,it's when the odd stuf goes wrong that the tears start to flow.

d2k
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 10:27
I read somewhere today that it could be done for sub 200 for the etm, is this true?.

yep....... www.volvodiagnostic.com :cool:

the guy's name is Lukas, he'll repair & give 2yr warranty on all earlier ME7 ETM's for £120.

he'll also fix & give 2yr warranty on any failing P2 DIM cluster for £50 (not including delivery)

he also does electronic ABS repairs too.....

he's still on his hols at the moment but will be back in about 2 weeks.....:B_thumb:

local-looney
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 18:49

never a truer word spoke!!

its s***!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mind you,had mine 6 months now,nothing fell off,nothing broke....oh s***..thats done it!!

Sharkey R
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 18:51

Get used to wearing dark glasses and a hat or cap to hide your embarrassment when trying to park in a busy car park. Very little chance of getting in a space first time if there's cars either side.

Tomcat
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 19:27
I think barring a sudden influx of cash that allows me to buy a ph2 V70R I'll be giving the whole Ph2 thing a miss for the time being, they're still out of my price range while I have sod all money.

LeeT5
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 19:32

..Only on the R. FWDs are much better.

LeeT5
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 19:34
Oh yes, "electical gremlins", my worst enemy!

Your just unlucky James!

M-R-P
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 20:02

Really? The r is worse? Is that possible? Theres a spiral ramp in a multi storey in southampton that i have to have the car on full lock to get up.

That'll be the last nail in the proverbial coffin for my future R ownership.

Sharkey R
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 20:07
Really? The r is worse? Is that possible? Theres a spiral ramp in a multi storey in southampton that i have to have the car on full lock to get up.

That'll be the last nail in the proverbial coffin for my future R ownership.

Yeah Sophs D5 has a better TC than mine mate. Best get practicing some Ken Block style 4WD drifting if you wanna do that spiral in an R mate lol

M-R-P
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 20:10
Geez! I remember when I changed my steering stops (black ones) and that must have added about a metet to the tc of mine :eek:

p fandango
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 20:14
are sure theirs a difference, because i'm not

Sharkey R
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 20:16
are sure theirs a difference, because i'm not

Im positive, theres more lock to lock turns in Sophies D5 plus you can turn a tighter angle into a space than mine and that was b4 i put 19s on mine.

p fandango
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 20:41
Im positive, theres more lock to lock turns in Sophies D5 plus you can turn a tighter angle into a space than mine and that was b4 i put 19s on mine.
i can't see why they needed to change anything between them, both have drive to the front. I've even got the same size tyres as an R

Sharkey R
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 20:43
it feels like there is a shorter rack on the R, definitely less input needed for the same outcome as the D. Not driven a T5 so don't know how they compare.

stribo
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 21:09
Geez! I remember when I changed my steering stops (black ones) and that must have added about a metet to the tc of mine :eek:

Black stops are what the R uses, so an R won't be any worse than yours. I assume on the lower spec models with skinnier tyres, the turning circles better, though still not brilliant.

LeeT5
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 21:11
An R has a larger turning circle than a standard P2 fwd. Not sure why, it just does.
I have driven plenty of fwd P2s and the difference is very obvious.

The R's turning circle is 13.2m.
A fwd P2 is 11.8m

Harvey
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 21:26
my old s60 d5 was just as bad was on nebulas as well 235-40-18 tyres