PDA

View Full Version : help front wheel problem

jimmyc
Monday 4th June 2012, 19:13
hi theres a grinding noise on front nearside wheel,when i put lock on it litterally staggered like the brakes where coming on and off and like the wheel bearing had callapsed,i had to drive home from lakes 90 miles and couldnt hear anything and seems ok now, there was a very little play when jacked up, any idea what it could be regards and thanx jim

Harvey
Monday 4th June 2012, 19:24
Stone stuck in disc/pads or cv joint on its way out will sound worse on full lock.

JamesT5
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 00:14
"Grinding on full lock", now where have I heard this one before! This seems to be one of the 'trade mark niggles' with these cars, as mine suffers the same problem on full right lock and I seem to recall another user posting a thread on this saying they have the same problem on their S60. No coincidence, more a design flaw....

You'd think that if Volvo knew about these common problems they'd issue recalls and fix the problems they created when they designed the cars. But no! :mad:

As for the problem, I don't think it's brake related, I think it's got something to do with the steering where the suspension joins on to the wheels (sorry I'm not that knowledgeable on specific parts), but it's probably a worn rubber bit/spacer allowing the scraping sound.

I'd be really interested to get a proper solution to this one and get some straight answers because no one seems to know for certain what causes it. The fact the sound is there means there is a problem somwhere, it's just finding it. Annoying isn't it!

Regards

James

Harvey
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 08:46
Hi if it's the wheel rubbing the wheel arch liner then it's tyre soft,steering stops worn,wishbones bushes worn,tracking out,bent wishbone,one or a bit of all of them.
Also have you had new tyres fitted as make of tyres can make a big difference.
But it would not start out of the blue it's would just get worse very slowly.

JamesT5
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 11:03
Hi if it's the wheel rubbing the wheel arch liner then it's tyre soft,steering stops worn,wishbones bushes worn,tracking out,bent wishbone,one or a bit of all of them.
Also have you had new tyres fitted as make of tyres can make a big difference.
But it would not start out of the blue it's would just get worse very slowly.

That reminds me, I'll have to get a sound recording of my wheel grind/scrape and post it on here for people to listen to. That way we can all compare notes and see if it's the same sound we're all getting.

Regards

James

M-R-P
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 11:09
Good idea, I'll try and incorporate it with the DMF chirping lol.

JamesT5
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 11:19
Good idea, I'll try and incorporate it with the DMF chirping lol.

We'll get on to the site mods and ask for a sound clips section so people can diagnose problems using the sound clips. :cool:

jimmyc
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 21:54
thanx for reply guys,the plot thickens,like i said i drove 90 miles ,no probs,i must point out at this stage that my abs lights come on and stay on since i distrurbed the wires whilst changeing the drop links, the reason i mension this is that i noticed that the noise was there as i set off this morn and sort of braked on full lock but went normal as soon as the abs lights come on wtf so im thinking it has something to do with the abs system , any ideas as i have no idea how the abs works