PDA

View Full Version : non turbo remap - is it worthwhile??

getcarter1972
Saturday 2nd June 2012, 22:26
Love the idea of remapping my 2.4i v50, but i am getting some conflicting information about whether it is worth doing on a non turbo engine. My v50 is the 170bhp variant, and the remapping advice i have found online only seems to suggest that remapping the 140bhp version UP to 170bhp is possible or even worthwhile? I want a bit more midrange torque/power - would i get this with an off the shelf rica/quantum remap?? If my car is already the 170bhp variant - would it be worth even having a remap? I like the idea of tuning my vehicle, and plan on upgrading the intake and exhaust and suspension systems in the near future. what advice please or just your thoughts on how to proceed.... sorry if the question is dumb but i am quite new to all this - but keen :)

daza-b
Saturday 2nd June 2012, 22:31
u never know with tech these days, but obviously u will get nowhere near the same benefits as turbo cars :)

Rhys
Saturday 2nd June 2012, 23:53
u never know with tech these days, but obviously u will get nowhere near the same benefits as turbo cars :)

I had a BMW E36 318ti compact which had a 1.8 16v engine pushing 140bhp - I had it chipped and all it did for me was remove the flat spot on the auto and maybe give it a couple more ponies - it wasn't a vast difference and if it wasn't that I got it for free I wouldn't have had it done tbh.

I don't know what difference it will make to your car, some places will map it for you and if you aren't satisfied they'll take the map back off and not charge you.

merc85
Sunday 3rd June 2012, 00:00
if you want more power buy turbocharged variant.

Once you start tuning, it's hard not to want more and more lol

t5_monkey
Sunday 3rd June 2012, 00:14
Love the idea of remapping my 2.4i v50, but i am getting some conflicting information about whether it is worth doing on a non turbo engine. My v50 is the 170bhp variant, and the remapping advice i have found online only seems to suggest that remapping the 140bhp version UP to 170bhp is possible or even worthwhile? I want a bit more midrange torque/power - would i get this with an off the shelf rica/quantum remap?? If my car is already the 170bhp variant - would it be worth even having a remap? I like the idea of tuning my vehicle, and plan on upgrading the intake and exhaust and suspension systems in the near future. what advice please or just your thoughts on how to proceed.... sorry if the question is dumb but i am quite new to all this - but keen :)

They were all the 170 version.

Test Drive a T5 version - you won't be thinking of remapping anymore!

Remap worth it on yours? big fat no.

shepbomb
Sunday 3rd June 2012, 16:42
I agree with what everybody else is saying.. with out a turbo I really dont think its worth it, ive had N/A cars in the past and had them remapped and to be honest its hard to tell the difference.

t5_monkey
Sunday 3rd June 2012, 17:02
If you're deffo gonna keep it - get a stainless exhaust + K&N intake because the sound is just something else on the 2.4

turbo-tuner
Sunday 3rd June 2012, 17:04

If your car was the 140 hp version, then yes it would definitely be worth remapping it. Click the following link to see the power and torque curves, and where the improvements are:

http://www.rica-uk.com/viewcar.aspx?vehicle=181

However, since your car is the 170 hp version, then no it's not worth remapping because the gains will be too small to notice.

getcarter1972
Sunday 3rd June 2012, 18:01
I love the car and def want to keep it (for now) IN THE FUTURE WHO KNOWS?? ;)
i wont bother with the remap then - and will concentrate on improving what i can ie. intake/exhaust, suspension etc.... thanks guys. all advice welcome :)