PDA

View Full Version : 'power service urgent' message

zip929
Saturday 2nd June 2012, 15:21
Hi All

Just had this message and then the red battery icon was lit up.
Drove back home with no issues , swithched off and the message has gone.

Is this a sign of a failing alternator, or a battery that is on the way out?
Anyone else had this before?

Thanks

Dave

zip929
Saturday 2nd June 2012, 21:12
No one else been there! Good!
I will report if there are any issues I get fixed related to this.

Dave

M-R-P
Saturday 2nd June 2012, 21:16
When my battery was on it's way out, I just got a message "battery low" if that helps to pin the problem down?

t5 stealth
Sunday 3rd June 2012, 08:39
i believe that is something to do with the charging curcuit (poss alternator)
try checking the connections to the alternator,maybe a bad connection,and check that the alternator is charging properly,
it may be a diode or some internal component inside the alternator starting to die

zip929
Monday 4th June 2012, 12:58
Right! The Alternator is definitely gone, AA guy tested (after I just broke down with a dashboard like a xmas tree ( pretty but not what I wanted to see) and it needs replacing.

Looking online there seems to be several different alternators available for the V70 T5.

Would this be a suitable replacement, or is something else needed?
My car has heated seats, and one site had different alternators depending upon whether there were heated seats or not.
http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=61_509&products_id=6444

Thanks in advance

Dave

t5 stealth
Monday 4th June 2012, 13:38
if you can see the alternater there should be a kind of chassis plate on it,it will have a list of numbers and codes on it,
you need to see what amp your one is,
ie 140 amp,160 amp etc etc.
you need to replace it with a same amp or higher,

zip929
Monday 4th June 2012, 13:40
if you can see the alternater there should be a kind of chassis plate on it,it will have a list of numbers and codes on it,
you need to see what amp your one is,
ie 140 amp,160 amp etc etc.
you need to replace it with a same amp or higher,

I looked in the owners manual and it says the aternator is 140A. I would assume I can get a 140A replacement?

Thanks

Dave

t5 stealth
Monday 4th June 2012, 13:41
thats fine mate,if its says 140 amp then go for 140 amp :)

zip929
Monday 4th June 2012, 14:05
thats fine mate,if its says 140 amp then go for 140 amp :)

Thanks very much for your help.

Dave

bubba_1986
Monday 4th June 2012, 14:35
Me and wobblydave have a nearly new alternator for sale. Off o a 2.3 me7 t5. 60 quid plus postage and u can have it

zip929
Monday 4th June 2012, 14:41
Me and wobblydave have a nearly new alternator for sale. Off o a 2.3 me7 t5. 60 quid plus postage and u can have it

Will it definitely fit my 2.4 T5? If so I would be very interested. Is fitting it a very hard job I should leave to a mechanic or is it relatively stratight forward to fit?

thanks

Dave

bubba_1986
Monday 4th June 2012, 15:02
I'm not 100% sure about fitment. I'll need to find out and get back to u. Fitting s alternator is fairly straight forward.

zip929
Monday 4th June 2012, 15:06
I'm not 100% sure about fitment. I'll need to find out and get back to u. Fitting s alternator is fairly straight forward.

Thanks Bubba. I am not fantastic with the spanners but I am going to give this a go. If you find out the Alternator will fit then we will have a deal.

I will wait to hear form you.

Thanks

Dave

zip929
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 11:19

Hi Bubba

I remembered that I still have some warranty left for the car so I am getting my mechanic to supply and fit a new one. I should be able to claim most of this back.

Good luck with selling your alternator.

Dave