PDA

View Full Version : 850r alarm problem!

jp850R
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 19:02
hello all :)

I have a 96 850R with a standard volvo alarm immobiliser with remote lockin etc and for some reason the alarm goes off all on its own, now and again it started on 1 very wet and very windy nite, every time i stopped it it started off again straight after so i pulled the connection to the alarm horn off just 2 shut it up (was late) :mad: plugged it back in on the next day it was ok 4 a day or 2 then it went again no reason, this time so now the horn is always disconnected and have had no probs! thats ok but if any1 does decide 2 try n steal my car im not gonna no bout it not good! :eek:

So after my essay here,does any1 no what could b causing it? has any1 had this prob? or is it the obvious i need a new alarm horn!!!!!

cheers jon

lance
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 19:12
Have you left any coins in the coin slot as this can make the alarm go off I kid you not

jp850R
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 19:38
No i havnt mate! That is a weird thing tho! :)

wright_t5
Thursday 6th January 2005, 07:59
Hi,

Don't feel too bad... Mine (96 T5) had a habit of the locks not working properly, wouldn't open everytime, then one night on a cold dark night at trowing out time the dam thing wouldn't unlock, of course when you use the key the dam alarm goes off, tried new batteries in the remote, nothing, eventually had to disconnect horn, take a few fuses out to stop flashing lights, then hot wire it to get me home.... I was fortunate that on the way home it disarmed itself so fuses back in and everything is ok, except I can't lock it witht he remote... Took it to my Volvo dealer, they wanted it for two days to find out what was wrong, yeah right at £90 per hour, I can buy an after marlet alram, remote locking for £60 and have a better alarm...

jp850R
Thursday 6th January 2005, 23:51
:eek: nasty stuff electrics they have a mind of there own!
Thanx 4 lettin me no im not the only 1 :thewave:

Tallpointy
Monday 10th January 2005, 21:44
I had a similar problem on a previous car, but it was a Toyota and so may not be relevent....

It turned out that water had made its way into a micro switch which was intended to detect if the bonet was opened (as part of the alarm).

Good luck!

Ivan
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 19:49
Anyone know what was fitted as standard on an 850 GLT T5? (1995) ??
I know I've got some sort of immobilier as the engine is dead as a dodo if I don't press the beeper thingy and have the indicators flash a greeting.

I guess I mustn't have an alarm, or I would have noticed after 4 years of owning it!
(I hope!)

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 20:43
Anyone know what was fitted as standard on an 850 GLT T5? (1995) ??
I know I've got some sort of immobilier as the engine is dead as a dodo if I don't press the beeper thingy and have the indicators flash a greeting.

I guess I mustn't have an alarm, or I would have noticed after 4 years of owning it!
(I hope!)
sounds aftermarket to me, does the immobilizer cut back in after a while if you don't start the engine after pressing the beeper thingy. Could be CAT2 or even CAT1 thatcham meaning cheaper insurance

CAT1 is the highest with an approved alarm & automatic imobilizor
CAT2 is automatic imobilizor (either transponder, key fob or plug & socket)
CAT3 is mechanical anti-theft device (ie steering/gear lever lock)

wright_t5
Wednesday 12th January 2005, 08:24
Having had a similar problem on my 850 GLT 96, the alarm is not that good as it only stops you "starting" the car from the ignition switch, you can jump it at the solenoid if you need to get it started, you have to remove the fuses that makes all the lights flash too... this also means you loose your indicators, but that is a small price to pay for getting home!!!! mine has packed up too, just use the key now.... must get round to putting a new one on, Volvo prices are too expensive for that stuff..

When it was working it did all that was needed the horn sounded and the lights flashed if the bonnet, or doors opened....

Ivan
Wednesday 12th January 2005, 22:29
sounds aftermarket to me, does the immobilizer cut back in after a while if you don't start the engine after pressing the beeper thingy. Could be CAT2 or even CAT1 thatcham meaning cheaper insurance

CAT1 is the highest with an approved alarm & automatic imobilizor
CAT2 is automatic imobilizor (either transponder, key fob or plug & socket)
CAT3 is mechanical anti-theft device (ie steering/gear lever lock)
If I press the remote fob (beeper thingy!) - but don't get in the car, after a while it locks itself and gives a couple of flashes on the indicators (shutdown). I've always presumed this is an imobiliser and not an alarm as it never sounds any horns - but I could be wrong. If it is a CAT 2, aren't they standard?

wright_t5
Thursday 13th January 2005, 07:43
What shape is you remote fob/button thing, The one I have fitted (standard) doesn't have "self" arming... but others in that time period do have self arming... so that might be it, although it should only self arm if the ignition HASN'T been switched on... :)

I have pages of description at home, could email them to yah if wanted to see what the alarms should or shouldn't do.. :shifty:

Ivan
Thursday 13th January 2005, 18:58
It's kinda this shape...

jp850R
Thursday 13th January 2005, 20:08
If I press the remote fob (beeper thingy!) - but don't get in the car, after a while it locks itself and gives a couple of flashes on the indicators (shutdown). I've always presumed this is an imobiliser and not an alarm as it never sounds any horns - but I could be wrong. If it is a CAT 2, aren't they standard?

Mine does the same mate if the car is not openened in any way when u unlock it it self arms! just a thought, does urs have a horn,(it doesnt activate ur normal horns!) as u open the bonnet up, and look at the top near the bulk head? only if some1 B4 u has had the same prob i did they may have disconnected it like me! I have the same remote as in the pic u posted aswell, and when i press it 2 activate or deactivate it never made any beeps or anything (b4 i disconnected it :) ) except the indecators!

Ivan
Friday 14th January 2005, 19:23
Does your have the lonely little red light flashing in the middle of the dash under the windscreen too? I haven't checked under the bonnet for the extra horn yet. The keyfob doesn't really make much sound, just a very very quiet high pitched "bip".

I like the alarm system i saw on a big 4x4 in South Africa - it advises you to step away from the car (which I've heard before) - but after a number of warnings - the damn thing toasts you - with a flame-thrower! :-)) :-))

If only I had one of those to keep cats off my motor...everytime I wash it, next day the M6 of Cat-footprints appears up the bonnet over the windshield, along the top, and onto the boot-lid and spoiler, with the customary pile-up in the middle.

jp850R
Saturday 15th January 2005, 09:48
Yeah mine has that light and my fob makes a very very quiet "bip" all u hear from the car is the c/l going clunk!

Those flamers sound sweet i have heard of somethin like that b4 and also some that if u touch the door handles u get bout 100,000 volts thru u :eek: or some silly amount anyway, rig that to the rest of the car and that moggy aint gonna last long!!!!! :firedevil Fried kitty any1 !!!

(note; hope no 1 gets offended bout the cat thing i have 3 that get treated like royalty) :wink:

jp850R
Sunday 23rd January 2005, 18:08
I have been searchin for this alarm prob again and wonder if this applies? Number 6 on the 3rd section, have looked at all the 850's and all the same!

Automotive Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins for 1996 Volvo 850 R L5-2319cc 2.3L DOHC Turbo VIN 58 B5234T5. Provided by ALLDATA (http://www.tsb.com/TSB/64/96642746.html)

does anyone no if this is the same sort of list volvo tell u as in this Heated Seat Link (http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=372&highlight=heated+seats)
??? :shifty:

chance
Monday 24th January 2005, 08:34
I have a 96 850R with a standard volvo alarm immobiliser with remote lockin etc and for some reason the alarm goes off all on its own, now and again it started on 1 very wet and very windy nite, every time i stopped it it started off again straight after so i pulled the connection to the alarm horn off just 2 shut it up (was late) :mad: plugged it back in on the next day it was ok 4 a day or 2 then it went again no reason...

Sorry to make an obvious comment, and don't know whether anyone has already mentioned it here - but isn't this just a sensitivity issue? Alarms of this type usually have an adjustable sensitivity switch; I had one on a Renault last year that kept going off every time a big vehicle drove past or if it was quite windy. I had the sensitivity turned down (a three hour job at a main dealer unfortunately) and no more problems. Some cars have the sensitivity switch in a more accessible place, underbonnet or under dash, but some like to bury it. Oh, and my neighbours Volvo goes off every time it's windy.

jp850R
Monday 24th January 2005, 21:42
Fair comment and i did think of it but the one thing that didnt add up 2 me was, with the alarm horn plugged in it went off with no wind, no cars in one of the quietest roads i no of, or any apparent reason at all, now its not plugged in it never activates the alarm! :frown: i may well be wrong so ill ask volvo garage how to adjust it (how easy or not!)