PDA

View Full Version : A tale of two Volvo estates...

Turbodave
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 10:49
Given I've finally re-entered the world of 'R' ownership, I figured it makes sense to start a wee project thread. I say 're-entered' as I had an automatic S70R a few years back followed by a rather abused 850 T5 estate before going back to my Vauxhall roots for the past couple of years. On the note, I'm a Vauxhall man at heart though have always liked Volvo's too. Probably blame early 90's BTCC for that. Along with the Volvo's, I also have a Cavalier Turbo which I've had for nearly 10 years and is undergoing a bare shell rebuild and also one of the Cavalier SRi 16v's made, which is currently residing in the garage in case it gets wet. Sad? Probably... Bothered? Not really...

So, Volvo wise... always had a soft spot for the quick stuff and always found myself browsing the classifieds, window shopping. I re-entered Volvo ownership last May after my daily driver Cavalier Turbo (another one) was written off and after several failed attempts to buy a V70R, I gave up and decided to buy an old workhorse as a stop gap. Nothing with a GM badge floated my boat so cut a long story short, I ended up buying a 1999 V70 TDi in red. Well, several shades of red with added dents which I like to think makes it cut through the air better, like a golf ball. It was also the 'Popular Plus' model... I've been in better eqipped cardboard boxes but it didn't matter, it was cheap, local and was only a temporary measure and to use for lifting, shifting and towing plus the good lady had an 2003 A4 TDi V6.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/bigoof2/160520111018.jpg

It arrived and was named Helga. It immediately threw up an issue with the ABS and after a £2.50 second hand sensor failed to sort it, I decided that really... ABS is over-rated and opted to ignore the warning light. Sorted. Many abusive miles followed with minimal fuss and it earned a special place in my heart with it's ability to drag heavy stuff, carry big stuff, return 50mpg and also provide a platform for standing on to see over things. Like walls. It also travelled the length and width of the country numerous times and never put a foot wrong and within a month, quickly replaced the Audi as the 'main' car. Probably as the Audi was utter toss.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/bigoof2/Billing294.jpg

In February this year, I decided the Audi was so toss... it was getting sold. Tears and snotters followed as the good lady, who thinks of herself as a cross between Paris Hilton and Jordan realised her tinted window'd, 18 inch wheel'd pile of German bile was going. Or perhaps it was because it left Helga on the drive... de-valuing the local house prices and upsetting our neighbours witht heir BMW's and Audi's in 'oh-so'cool' Ibis White. It was suggested it could perhaps wash the Volvo. I declined. I pandered to her whining and on a whim, flew to London and bought a Vectra GSi estate in a vain effort to return some bling to the drive.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/bigoof2/IMG_4441.jpg

I drove it 500 miles home, spent 2 days solid trying to sort several issues and then decided it was quite possibly the worst car ever to grace the roads and sold it 3 weeks later. There were more tears and snotters. We made do with the old red Volvo for another few months, generally abusing it so badly that it made those Indian donkeys look like pampered pets and it still refused to give up. Annoyingly I had to spend £7 on a track rod end and had to put four tyres on it. I even had to replace the filters. Bah! With the warmer weather here and the need for two cars increasing, I re-taxed the Cavalier SRi and drafted it into highday and holiday service.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/bigoof2/IMG_4924.jpg

That arrangement lasted for a few weeks then the Cavalier decided it wanted to do it's best Puff the magic Dragon routine and started blowing blue smoke on start up and generally not driving that well. I decided the engine had seen better days and opted to reitre back to the garage whilst plotting it's future. Turbo power makes sense in my head. Along with that, the red Volvo had been on fleet for 12 months and a slightly scary 30,000 miles and was due an Mot... given my total neglect and the fact in 30,000 miles I'd spent a total of £28 on repairs, yes... £28... I decided it was going to fail miserably and thus, started looking for a replacement.

Having looked at R's on and off for ages and explored several possibilities and hit several brick walls, I lost heart and started looking at the alternatives plus she seemed adament that there would be a divorce on the cards should I buy another Volvo once the red one had gone to the scrapyard in the sky. So, keen to keep the peace I went off and bought this...

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/bigoof2/3895152-3.jpg

... and then really upset her buy sticking the red one in for a pre-Mot and getting a rather insignificant list back. A sidelight bulb, rear number plate bulb, two ABS rings, adjust the handbrake and a balljoint. I wept. She meanwhile grabbed the kids, packed her suitcase and threatened to leave if there were two Volvo's on the drive. So, two Volvo's on the drive and a double bed to myself... I set to work on the new one.

So far, it seems to be a good one. A 1997 855R Auto in Olive Green with 140,000k and a couple of owners. Last year it had extensive works with all the suspension being replaced, water pump, cambelt, tyres, wheels redone and then the chaps father used it for a year and racked up 1,600 miles. Being rather surplus to requirements, it was put up for sale with a fresh Mot and well, here we are. Since arriving it's done minimal miles as the red Volvo remains the main car which gave me a chance to get the R sorted out. 3 days cleaning and machine polishing, a thermostat, one track rod end (it was advised at the Mot) and that's about it so far.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/bigoof2/850R3.jpg

The red one meanwhile, it retaliated by throwing a hissy fit and seizing its auxiliary fan belt pulley. Faced with the prospect of a £180 repair bill, which is totally unacceptable given the fact I refuse to spend more than a tenner fixing this thing... I went off to explore other options. Ie, how could I bodge it. Simple... one BMW Z3 pulley later and it was back on the road. Total cost £11.50. Dammit.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/bigoof2/Tensioner2.jpg

R wise... I cleaned removed and cleaned the edges of the indicators along with all the door shut lines, removed the rear lights and cleaned under there and generally got all OCD whilst also getting serious sunburn. I added clear repeaters, removed the dog gaurd as it seems you're not allowd to leave the kids in there whilst you nip to Tesco and finally popped over to see Yosser who kindly read my fault codes and cleared my lambda light after it came on. Disconnecting the ECT loom with the car running probably had something to do with that. My bad.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/bigoof2/IMG_1307.jpg

And so that's where I'm up to with the fleet. The red one's Mot expires on the 31st so I really should disappear up the workshop and start fixing it plus I need to see my local paint throwing expert about sorting the o/s/f wing on the R and also make a wee list of things I need to do to make it as mint as possible. Brakes stripped, cleaned and painted is the next step once the red one is sorted and legal for another year of abuse.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/bigoof2/850R2.jpg

Oh and she came back. Still hates them both... I'll win her round. Maybe.

Cheers

Jamest5r
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 12:51
Quality pmsl :)

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 13:01
Haha, a happy ending lol :)

Kerry_T-5R
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 13:18
Nice R!

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 13:48
Love it, great story buddy :)

t5steve
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 14:24
ha ha ..........made me smile

T5frankie
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 15:46
lol

T5RPete
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 19:11
Fantastic story there and a good lookin R too!

Porcine_Aviator
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 20:03
Oooo R Nice one.

V70 Graham
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 20:18
Looking forward to updates :D

vaderboyo
Thursday 31st May 2012, 22:38
this post made me laugh a lot....:B_thumb:

why do wifes have such big problem with older volvos :rolleyes2

LiamT4
Thursday 31st May 2012, 23:04
this post made me laugh a lot....:B_thumb:

why do wifes have such big problem with older volvos :rolleyes2

I'm lucky there, my mrs loved both my last volvos and was sad when i finally decided to sell my S70R.

Turbodave
Friday 1st June 2012, 11:31
Cheers chaps...

As for the other half, I had a rather bling and silly quick Astra GSi Turbo when I met her and she had an Audi A4 V6 on gangsta wheels (she's bit of a chav at heart...) so going from them to 15 year old diesel Volvo with mismatched panels, numerous scars and an interior styled by the man who did Colditz... wasn't really her idea of of a suitable mode of transport. Kinda ironic really given she has zero regard for keeping cars clean and tends to drive using the well known braille technique, hence all four wheels are ruined and the front and rear bumpers have seen more action than a 1960 C-15 transport plane.

She's warming to the R... at least it's all the same colour and void of dents (for now) but she's still maintains it's an old mans car with all the street cred of an Umbro shell suit. Needless to say she rarely drives it though the old diesel's Mot has now expired so she has no choice. Maybe if it was pink with 22" chrome wheels and had leopard skin interior and some diamonte detailing plus more cubby holes for her GHD's and colour coded i-phone?

Anyways, zero progress... with both, so best away and start weilding the spanner.

Cheers

Yosser
Friday 1st June 2012, 13:05
Nice write up, and nice R too :D

martybelfastt5
Sunday 3rd June 2012, 13:20
quality read......love the R too :)

Turbodave
Sunday 3rd June 2012, 23:17
Had an rolling road event with one of the Vauxhall clubs yesterday so put the Volvo on at the end with limited joy. Couldn't a 'clean' run as it was either kicking down or simply not producing enough boost when the power was fed in gradually and thus, wasn't hitting overboost etc. They did manage to get a couple of scrappy runs out of it and it recorded 233bhp and then 266bhp. And exploded a CV gaitor in the process.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/bigoof2/IMG_1481.jpg

On the plus side, fuelling and AFR is spot on and the holding boost perfectly.

Sorted

Turbodave
Monday 4th June 2012, 14:39
Great success!

Wheel off and discovered the exploded CV gaitor was actually a small hole in the crease of the boot. Given the diesel is currently dead in the water, quick repair was needed with what ever was available to hand...

1 x box of cotton buds
1 x packet of Sally Services make up removal pads
1 x bottle of nail varnish remover
1 x tube of false nail glue
1 x tube of clear instant gasket

Yes, you're probably all double face palming as we speak but frankly my dears, I don't give a damn! Cleaned the offending area with aforementioned nail varnish remover and cotton pads then cleaned the 'hole' with cotton buds. Drop of glue followed by another and another, let it dry then a smear of instant gasket. Cleaned the grease and went for a drive. No more grease... granted probably because it's all over the dyno, my wheel and the inner arch liner but hey. Will do a 'proper' repair when time allows but this week time does not allow.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 4th June 2012, 15:24
LOL, love it. Have done that before, brand new cv gaitor put on and the bloody clamp cut the boot a bit so I bunged some superglue in it.

Rhys
Monday 4th June 2012, 15:36
Brilliant read, thankfully my other half loves the Volvos - kids prefer the green one (which is SORN'd) but love the sound of the black one..

I remember my dad having an old Cavalier 1600 GLS Sports hatch (manta shape), that was a lovely car (classy bronzy goldy colour with beige interior).

Looking forward to updates :)

Turbodave
Monday 4th June 2012, 16:47
Cheers chaps

Having a bit of an issues with them both as we speak. The red one which has been utterly reliable over the past year is sat without an Mot and I've just declared it sorn. That's my fault, too many things on the go so didn't sort what it needed for it's test in time. Just awaiting a lower arm to arrive (bloody jubilee!) and then hope cleaning the ABS rings and popping a new sensor one cures it's ABS fault. If so, Mot test then retax it. If not, more diagnostics/swearing needed.

The green one has been fine aside for the CV gaitor but it needs some attention this week. Brakes stripped, cleaned and adjusted and an oil flush and change before it's off to Northampton on Saturday then over to Birmingham and then back north. Wasn't my plan to take it but due to laziness/work commitments, the red one is out of service for the time being which I'm rather annoyed at myself about. According to the internetz, the trip will cost me an extra £55 over the diesel.

Not the end of the world, plus working aircon could be a bonus. Roadtrip!

T5frankie
Monday 4th June 2012, 16:50
Cheers chaps

Having a bit of an issues with them both as we speak. The red one which has been utterly reliable over the past year is sat without an Mot and I've just declared it sorn. That's my fault, too many things on the go so didn't sort what it needed for it's test in time. Just awaiting a lower arm to arrive (bloody jubilee!) and then hope cleaning the ABS rings and popping a new sensor one cures it's ABS fault. If so, Mot test then retax it. If not, more diagnostics/swearing needed.

The green one has been fine aside for the CV gaitor but it needs some attention this week. Brakes stripped, cleaned and adjusted and an oil flush and change before it's off to Northampton on Saturday then over to Birmingham and then back north. Wasn't my plan to take it but due to laziness/work commitments, the red one is out of service for the time being which I'm rather annoyed at myself about. According to the internetz, the trip will cost me an extra £55 over the diesel.

Not the end of the world, plus working aircon could be a bonus. Roadtrip!

not far from me

Turbodave
Monday 4th June 2012, 18:31
Indeed chap, in fact heading to sunny Wellingborough on Saturday, stopping overnight.

Anyways, back on the Volvo front. My bodged CV gaitor appears to be holding well, fingers crossed it survives the trip south and until the diesel is back on the road then I'll take the R off and administer some bufty spec TLC. Looks like it's leaked grease from the inner boot too so I'll whip the shaft out and do both. Just need to strip and clean the brakes and change the oil and then hope it capable of chewing big miles.

On the red front, ordered a lower arm via Euro then sulked as that's pushed my running total for repairs over the past 30,000 miles up to around £60. Bah! Went out to clean the driver's side ABS ring, popped the bottom arm out and took the shaft out and found what appears to be a component from the Titantic. Muchos rust which would in turn suggest the passenger's side shaft has been replaced at some stage as it's nigh on perfect. Anyways, the ring was beyong saving...

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/bigoof2/IMG_1503.jpg

So cut it off, cleaned up the CV with a file and taped the new ring on. Didn't bother heating it, she was making macaroni in the oven and given I've already used her beauty supplies and her hairdryer for car related antics today, I figured I was already sailing close to the wind. So, new ring on and shaft back in, arm back on and fingers crossed it's ok.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/bigoof2/IMG_1502.jpg

Really need to roadtest it to see if the ABS issues are now resolved but that means putting the old arm back on the passenger's side and I cannie be bothered. Hopefully Euro Car Parts will be open tomorrow (sodding jubilee... again) and I can go pick up the new arm and get it on and it back on four wheels. I've got a spare couple of sensors and an ABS control unit but judging by the state of the corroded ring, I'm hoping that'll cure it.

Onwards!

LiamT4
Monday 4th June 2012, 19:00
Unless i'm getting mixed up, when on a dyno with a 4spd auto, you put it in winter mode (which only uses 3rd and 4th) then move into gear position 3 (which won't let the car go past 3rd), then that keeps it in 3rd....................................maybe.

dalhousie2008
Monday 4th June 2012, 19:03
Unless i'm getting mixed up, when on a dyno with a 4spd auto, you put it in winter mode (which only uses 3rd and 4th) then move into gear position 3 (which won't let the car go past 3rd), then that keeps it in 3rd....................................maybe.

sound far too complicated

Turbodave
Monday 4th June 2012, 22:22
Ahhh, now that makes sense. I had it in 3rd but not in winter... hence it was constantly trying to kick down which in turn was creating mayhem. Not to worry, wasn't really bothered about pub talk figures, more interested that it was fuelling well and the boost was nice and progressive.

On another note, went out and rebuilt the red one... stuck the old arm on for the time being and ran it up with the wheels clear of the ground. Good news is the ABS issues are sorted, bad news is I knackered the N/S/F driveshaft. Think I pulled the shaft too far out, thus dislodged the balls in the inner CV so removed it, spent 3hrs trying to rebuild it only to discover a hairline crack in the cage and in my frustration, I damaged the splines so new shaft needed.

Anybody know if the shafts are bespoke on a TDi or if other manual shafts will fit?

One step forward, two back...

Turbodave
Wednesday 18th July 2012, 20:36
Been a while...

Red TDi... has sat on the drive for weeks minus an MOT, surplus to requirements as I was running the old Cavalier for a couple of summer shows but today I've been out and fitted a new arm and in the process, hauled the inner CV joint apart (again!) but it's all rebuilt and now at the MOT station for a test first thing and will then be drafter back into daily service because the...

Green R... has been tentatively up for sale for the past few weeks and is set to be collected tomorrow morning and will be headed south.

Sad times but needs must.

martybelfastt5
Thursday 19th July 2012, 00:17
im sure ive read the t5 and tdi share the same shafts

Turbodave
Thursday 19th July 2012, 10:09
im sure ive read the t5 and tdi share the same shafts

The first shaft was ruined so after some exhaustive research I found that yup, the T5 and 2.5T share a coomon shaft. Thing is, I couldn't find one locally so figured a 2.4 N/A shaft would work... and it did, right up until the point I hauled the inner CV apart whilst dismantling it (again) to fit the new arm. On the bright side, it's now been put back together and working fine. Currenty awaiting a call from the MOT station whilst also just about to wave the R farewell... it was a short affair, but good fun non the less. Another car ticked off the bucket list. Next... M3 time I reckon.

Turbodave
Saturday 5th January 2013, 19:15
Been a while...

The 850R... well it went up for sale as it was just too thirsty, too insane in the wet and required a banksman to reverse it into a space in Tesco plus it wasn't really being used and when I was, I was paranoid about stones chips and getting it dirty. The irony of that last comment will become all too clear shortly. Anyways, bunged it up for sale on Pistonheads and a couple of weeks later a nice Englishman rang "I'm in London etc etc" and "I'm buying it for somebody else" so alarm bells started ringing. Deatils were exchanged and it transpired it was the producer of Top Gear and Clarkson would be having the car for one of their forth coming challenges. How I laughed. A week later, I watched said 850R being driven off by two chaps from the Top Gear production team. All a bit rushed, seemingly it was booked onto a boat bound for Africa the following Thursday.

You couldn't make this §§§§ up...

Anyways, never heard anything after that and so I mourned the loss of my beloved R and then got annoyed at the daily phone calls from the man at the local Shell station asking if I'd perhaps died or something as his profits had taken a bit of a whack recently. I went back to running the TDi daily... got quite attached to it again, sourced some dent free doors in red, sourced heated leather, replaced the discs and pads, put new tyres on it... hell I even drove it through a puddle to get rid of some of the dirt. It then threw it's dummy out, the timing belt went slack, the doomsday boys feared the worse and started quoting figures in excess of £700 for a belt kit and labour. I laughed (again) and opted for tightening up the tensioner (ish) and deploying the "Ah, fack it... she'll be a'reet" option. That was 5,000 miles ago.

Lovely.

One car was beginning to create issues again (Cavalier has since been retired to the garage for winter) so I needed something cheap, small and reliable to get the three miles to work and back. Under no circumstances was the 'second car' to be anything stupid and no way was it to be a Volvo, let along one that did single figure MPG and required a police escort when trundling up the M8. I humoured her and looked at an Astra in a kinda of "Oh look, there it is" way and §§§§ed off to Gumtree to get something that my needs. Which were... "reliable, cheap, big enough for a mountain bike" but definitely not a Volvo. Estate. With a turbo. Divorce remember...

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/bigoof2/DSC_1329.jpg

I'm enjoying staying at my Mums and eating microwave meals for one.

Gumtree and Cidre strike again. Enter stage left a slightly ruined T5 estate with 10,000,000 miles, it's own smoke screen system, Runway tyres, paint by Stevie Wonder, "I deal drugs" esque windows and about 25 minutes MoT. It also clunked, rattled and hauled itself over the road like an escaping shopping trolley and 4th gear... well it's clearly fed up with being a gear and has since departed, well, half of it has. However... it is massively funny thanks to zero grip and excess boost and it has an air of "Really? I mean... REALLY? Do I look like I give a §§§§?" about it which means it's unbelievably good at scaring children, pregnant wimen and Audi drivers. The duct tape front bumper (no, really) looks like it has seen many a battle.

On arrival I stuck it in for an Mot and it failed. Brakes, suspension mounts, drop links etc etc... nothing to see here etc etc... I then sourced a second gold T5 saloon and set about removing everything of use and swapped it all over. Headlights, boost pipes, airbox, top mounts, interior bits, brakes and then it passed. I did also remove my knee cap when one of said springs took a dislike to the clamps and made a bit for freedom. That'll also be another dent in the side of the TDi. A week later and with the swelling, bleeding and crying stemmed.... I set about replacing some of the dodgy colour coded bits and decided that I actually liek it's §§§§ness and I'm actually quite attached and even though there's a fair old 'to do' list, my bike fits in the back so all is well.

As for the 850R and it's Top Gear based antics...

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/bigoof2/850R_zps87128e79.jpg

New series starts next month. Purists... probably best sit this one out!

Cheers

volvokid
Saturday 5th January 2013, 22:59
No way, so they never really told you what it was being used for? How much did u get for it then, I wonder if it will be the same price they mention on the show

T5frankie
Saturday 5th January 2013, 23:07
brilliant

V70 Graham
Saturday 5th January 2013, 23:11
Can I have your autograph.....:redface: