PDA

View Full Version : Scratch Removal

t5_monkey
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 00:00
The monkeymobile needs a good clean!

Well, I've clayed it and polished it (autoglym before you ask)

There's a few little nicks esp on the front bumper.

I need tips for scratch and nick removal - someone with OCD enlighten me!

bubba_1986
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 00:05
I am just about to detail mine in next couple of days. Borrowed wobblys porter cable. If u want u can come over to my mums in erskine and we can correct the paintwork

t5_monkey
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 00:10
I am just about to detail mine in next couple of days. Borrowed wobblys porter cable. If u want u can come over to my mums in erskine and we can correct the paintwork

Cool thanks when bud? I'm away at York this weekend

bubba_1986
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 00:14
Well I'm just waiting on pads coming through from clean your car. Was hoping to start on wednesday. Going to take me couple of days. Would of said Friday but if your away at weekend we could sort something next week. Drop me a pm and I'll pass on my number.

I ain't brilliant at it btw. Done it once with wobbly on mine few years ago. I have major correction to do on mine so hopefully should learn quickly

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 20:31
for stone chips you will need to look up the wet-sanding technique on DW (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk). Requires nerves of steel & a touch-in paint pot & a steady hand (well it does when I do it)

Doing the whole car with a DA will take sometime mind.

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 20:35
I was also checking out these techniques today following my not entirely successful scratch removal efforts...

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=217520

bubba_1986
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 20:57
Yeah a know it will take time, i aint doing the sanding, Just providing some compound, polisher and a finger to use to point an laugh with :p

jking ofcourse. Sent you a pm mate

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 21:04
I think my issue is I didn't spend enough time getting all the dirt out of the stone chips.

bubba_1986
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 21:06
How were u getting dirt out, with a cotton bud or something ?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 21:17
I was using tardis. I should have used a bud & some Isopropyl alcohol - perhaps then the edge of the chip & surrounding clearcoat wouldn't have had the edge around it. gonna try some more on the front bumper as that is gash anyway.

JamesT5
Thursday 31st May 2012, 13:38
My technique is bung the touch up pen in the scratch (Halfords ones are great as they are super thin brushes). Then, let the paint dry, get some extrremely fine wet and dry paper and just take off the top 'lump' off the top of the paint where you have touched it in, then T-Cut back to a smooth finish before finishing it off with a coat of high grade wax like Mcguires Carnauba Wax. Job done!

Just don't get too overzealous with the wet and dry or you can go down too far through your clear coat making it hard to get the shine back on it.

Regards

James

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 31st May 2012, 14:23
I've had a few issues in the past with clearcoat strikethrough. :cry: