PDA

View Full Version : Earthing upgrade

I want a T5
Monday 28th May 2012, 09:43
I thought I would put this on this section in case others didnt read my thread in the ICE section.

While getting on with my sound system install, one of the main requirements was to make sure the battery to earth link was as good as possible.

My plan was to upgrade from the excuse of an earth cable that Volvo fit with a monster piece of 0AWG cable that I had aquired amongst a few bits and pieces off eBay.

The cable is seriously thick and already had a hefty connector crimped at one end so I needed to crimp a suitable one on the other. This was no problem as I had plenty of connectors and recently bought an hydraulic crimper (which is the dogs danglies for doing crimping with!).

I found a vacant threaded hole and removed the paint around it and bolted the connector up good and tight. The other end, went straight to the battery terminal.

While I was at it, I had a spare piece of 4AWG with a connector each end and connected that to the battery earth and the other end to the engine at the back where there is an earth strap going to the bulkhead. I renewed the bulkhead strap as well as this was one of those flimsy braided things.

The car had suffered a little lumpiness on starting whihc I had thought was due to the MAF but now, the tickover on start, is immediately smooth......coincidence maybe?

The earth lead that was originally on there was no bigger than maybe 10AWG and was not in good condition at all........I stripped all the blue insulation off the length and all of the copper was black and the strands brittle.

Overal conclusion: check your earth strap from the battery to the body and also, from the engine to the battery and the engine to the body. It may surpise you how poor they are and may sort out some silly niggles that could be attributed to something else.

If anyone wants 3 ready made leads to cover the above, I have a fair bit of 4AWG collected over the years and plenty of ring terminals and would be happy to make some up for a nominal cost plus postage. PM me if interested.

The link below is the ICE thread if you want to see some picsa of my efforts.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44136

M-R-P
Monday 28th May 2012, 09:52
I've heard many things about upgrading the earthing system and it's long term advantages. Now I've seen a member give it a go with what appears to be positive results, I'll be looking into it (especially considering the cable and crimps I have available to me at work ;))

d2k
Monday 28th May 2012, 09:54
yeah 'TB3' is very important if running heavy power applications, for the general populous though running a sub & amp (up to 500wrms) the standard cabling should suffice.

i was gonna create an install for my S60 but the 'premium' sound stage is already pretty good, & i wanna keep the standard HU-803 as its pretty well laid out & has great functionality..... its just missing the all important RCA out... & line converters are crap!!

so im in limbo at the moment, id like to add a small sub to capture the lower frequencies (50hz & below) but as its a saloon id need some seroius power just to feel the benifits.

so now im thinking about replacing the 8'' parcel shelf mounts for an 'infinite baffle' setup...

not too sure yet....lol, loads of other stuff to do first.:beer:

I want a T5
Monday 28th May 2012, 10:06
The point I am making here, is that maybe (certainly on the older Volvos out there), it is worth checking the condition of the existing earth straps and replacing with a better strap whether or not a heavy sound system is being fitted.

A clean earth path is vital, especially between the engine and the battery so as to enable all the gizmos to do there stuff unhindered!

Porcine_Aviator
Monday 28th May 2012, 10:22
I said sometime ago that if you have niggling problems the really get you p##d off the first thing to do is check the earth strap. Both body and engine, it's easy to undo the bolts clean up the connection and put it back together. I have to admit you have done a nice job there.

Now all you have to do is clean the engine bay, coz if you don't people will only talk :)

I want a T5
Monday 28th May 2012, 10:27
Actually sir, my engine bay is pretty good compared to when I first got it!

Cheeky bu66er!

Porcine_Aviator
Monday 28th May 2012, 11:27
Actually sir, my engine bay is pretty good compared to when I first got it!

Cheeky bu66er!

:redface::hilarious :hilarious :hilarious :wavey: :ices_rofl

p fandango
Monday 28th May 2012, 17:37
i'd got some 8awg wire & plenty of ring terminals so made some grounding wires up

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/263/mapov.jpg

I want a T5
Monday 28th May 2012, 18:38
Thats a lot of earths! Do you think that this has helped? It certainly can't do any harm.

p fandango
Monday 28th May 2012, 19:16
Thats a lot of earths! Do you think that this has helped? It certainly can't do any harm.
i've not had any fuel in it since i've done them lol

edit = it was your thread here LINK (http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40523&) that got me to do it in the first place ;)

I want a T5
Monday 28th May 2012, 19:22
At least your fuel consumption hasn't suffered then!

p fandango
Monday 28th May 2012, 19:24
At least your fuel consumption hasn't suffered then!
i've binned the trip computer just in case lol

M-R-P
Thursday 31st May 2012, 17:15
Just reviving this thread,
I checked the earth strap from the engine to bulkhead and it was like a metal flatworm and looked pathetic.
I "found" some mig welding earth wire, capable of carrying 380A @ 130V and "found" some crimp ring connectors. Grabbed myself some tools and some emery paper and got busy in my lunchbreak. Result! car starts better and runs better, even Mrs. MRP has noticed! (normally, I could paint the car black and she wouldn't notice lol)

Thank you Mark ;)

I want a T5
Thursday 31st May 2012, 17:39
Great news Martin! Glad to see that I have contributed something towards another member's happiness!

Hope to see you on the 17th with the goods?

M-R-P
Thursday 31st May 2012, 17:45
Great news Martin! Glad to see that I have contributed something towards another member's happiness!

Hope to see you on the 17th with the goods?

I was hoping to but it's looking unlikely now as I have a lot of saving to do for my impending clutch and DMF failure :(

Maybe another southern softie wouldn't mind carrying the package?

I want a T5
Thursday 31st May 2012, 18:01
Shame.......would have been good to meet you and shake your hand in thanks mate.

I am down your way though shortly to drop my boy down in Southsea where he lives. I should be able toconfirm in the next few days.

M-R-P
Thursday 31st May 2012, 19:08
Just name the time mate. I really wanted to put the Sweed up the strip and meet a few more faces on the 17th but i gotta start buying parts :(

swampy
Thursday 31st May 2012, 21:45
upgrading earthes is very popular on the jap scene

the likes of hks and spoon do kits for the impreza and evo, not made from anymore than 8awg cable and they charge alot of koney for it.

i used to supply kits for the 306 gti6 several years ago, they do improve things like the idle and even headlight out put, but of you look on the net there is some compelling evidence that they also help to improve power by a small amount.

oblark
Thursday 31st May 2012, 22:02
Maybe another southern softie wouldn't mind carrying the package?

If the package could be dropped off at Waterlooville I can get it to Romsey then bring it to the next southern softies meet.

shepbomb
Thursday 31st May 2012, 22:08
MMM May have to give this a go

M-R-P
Thursday 31st May 2012, 23:23
upgrading earthes is very popular on the jap scene

the likes of hks and spoon do kits for the impreza and evo, not made from anymore than 8awg cable and they charge alot of koney for it.

i used to supply kits for the 306 gti6 several years ago, they do improve things like the idle and even headlight out put, but of you look on the net there is some compelling evidence that they also help to improve power by a small amount.
Spoon do Honda dude ;)
Yeah the riceburner circuit have this in hand...:)

If the package could be dropped off at Waterlooville I can get it to Romsey then bring it to the next southern softies meet.
The softies meet I can do (Well I sort of have to don't I lol) I just can't afford to go further.

MMM May have to give this a go
Do it dude, It won't do any harm and I challenge you to not notice any difference. I only replaced the engine strap (the others are pretty heavy - probably a plod upgrade) and it made a huge difference. :D

swampy
Friday 1st June 2012, 13:56
id say its defianlty worth doing!

its one of those mods that is cheap to do but does have large benefits!

i have them on my car, one running to each cylinder head (its a v6)
one to the throttle body and one going to earth on the gearbox.

even though my idle is rediculsy low its nice and smooth and the car pulls like a train, wheel spin when shifting from 1st to 2nd in the dry on full throttle and a a small amount from 2nd to third
i would definatly do it

if any one wants any amking up i can do them to your dimensions using a heavy duty crimper and heat shrink to neaten them up,

can even do them in a few different colors, red, blue, silver, black and possibly yellow

I want a T5
Friday 1st June 2012, 14:19
Just made up and fitted some straps for my daughter's Mk2 Clio.

Immediately noticed an improvement in starting, tickover and it feels a little perkier (as much as a 1.2l could!).

Highly recommended (AGAIN)!

swampy
Thursday 14th June 2012, 09:46
has any one else done this yet?

im going to make one up and attach to the rear bank of my v6 today

Jamest5r
Thursday 14th June 2012, 15:43
Can anyone supply me with what I need to do this on an 850 please.

p fandango
Thursday 14th June 2012, 16:10
i just used some 8awg wire i'd got, & plenty of yellow ring terminals to link extra earthing points. I'll have a look see if we've got any more ring terminals spare at work for you

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/7995/driverswing.jpg
close up of the connections, bit of heatshring tubing just to add a bit more protection

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/263/mapov.jpg
diagram of wires i made up

swampy
Friday 15th June 2012, 09:13

if you can provide mw with the lengthes you want them made too i can make a set up.

can do them in a choice of colors
red
blue
black
silver

ends are all heat shrinked etc

Jamest5r
Friday 15th June 2012, 13:55
if you can provide mw with the lengthes you want them made too i can make a set up.

can do them in a choice of colors
red
blue
black
silver

ends are all heat shrinked etc

Thanks for the offer but I'm sorted now cheers