PDA

View Full Version : S60 t5 scrape noise full lock

Dreadheadtom
Sunday 27th May 2012, 19:06
Just been to view a 53 reg T5 geartronic, was very nice, all smooth etc bar one problem. When on full lock, and rolling slow back into the car park/pulling outta junctions there's a grinding noise, guy says he'll sort it out, but just wondered what it is likely to be, I didn't think brake pads as it doesn't make any difference if you're on the brakes or not. Another thing was, it seemed to be on winter tyres that looked a size too wide, they scrape on full lock, I'd expect this as they look too wide compared to the rear but thought I'd mention! Any help would be massively appreciated guys!!

foammanmark
Sunday 27th May 2012, 19:10
Might just be the steering lock stops need to be a size bigger, or the tyres/wheels a bit narrower. A quick look under the wheelarches would be worthwhile, to see if that's the reason for the noise.

Harvey
Sunday 27th May 2012, 19:46
Just have a look at the stops on the lower arms to see if they are worn,the tyre size max is 235/40/18 which will rub at full lock a bit they have wear plates fitted in the wheel arches for this problem,if the bushes on the lower arm are worn this can cause some rubbing as well.

Dreadheadtom
Sunday 27th May 2012, 22:47
Ok, I will bear that in mind. What about the metallic grinding noise then? Any ideas?

Thanks for the replies so quick!!

JamesT5
Sunday 27th May 2012, 23:28
Just been to view a 53 reg T5 geartronic, was very nice, all smooth etc bar one problem. When on full lock, and rolling slow back into the car park/pulling outta junctions there's a grinding noise, guy says he'll sort it out, but just wondered what it is likely to be, I didn't think brake pads as it doesn't make any difference if you're on the brakes or not. Another thing was, it seemed to be on winter tyres that looked a size too wide, they scrape on full lock, I'd expect this as they look too wide compared to the rear but thought I'd mention! Any help would be massively appreciated guys!!

Hi

I've got exactly the same problem on the V70 2001 T5!

I wonder if it's the brake pads and discs rubbing but apparantly acoording to the garage it isn't. I've also got standard wheels and tyres on the car so I'd be interested to compare notes on this one to determine the problem.

My grinding sound is more like holding a piece of cardboard in the blades of a fan type sound and only that noticeable on full right lock, not full left lock.

Sound familiar?

Regards

James

Dreadheadtom
Monday 28th May 2012, 08:16
It does, but only from previous experience as either wheel bearing or CV perhaps, difficult to say! This sounds exactly like when the brake pads are down to the metal and it's that metal on metal grinding noise (like a train, but I work on track so don't know how often you notice/hear that lol). Thanks for response though, 2's better than 1! My Dad's popping by for me this aft as it was 140 odd miles away from me up here so saves me a long round trip again!

Thanks everyone, keep ideas coming! :)

M-R-P
Monday 28th May 2012, 08:25
Just to add, mine has new bushes, shocks, topmounts and steering stops and it still rubs on full lock with 225/45/17 wheels. it's a known issue with some P2 cars and there's even an MOT cover note from Volvo so thousands of cars don't fail every year. When mine rubs on the wheelarch armor, it sounds metallic, as if it's something worse. Have a look in the front portion of the arches to rule it out.

JamesT5
Monday 28th May 2012, 10:34
Just to add, mine has new bushes, shocks, topmounts and steering stops and it still rubs on full lock with 225/45/17 wheels. it's a known issue with some P2 cars and there's even an MOT cover note from Volvo so thousands of cars don't fail every year. When mine rubs on the wheelarch armor, it sounds metallic, as if it's something worse. Have a look in the front portion of the arches to rule it out.

A cover note from Volvo? How do I get hold of this or is it just a 'memo' that's been sent to MOT centres?

Regards

James

M-R-P
Monday 28th May 2012, 11:46
A cover note from Volvo? How do I get hold of this or is it just a 'memo' that's been sent to MOT centres?

Regards

James

It's a memo type thing. If you fail on rubbing, tell them to double check, as it's a known trait of the P2 cars. Volvo publicly admitted there was an issue and most MOT places will not fail it.

Liddo
Monday 28th May 2012, 12:19
it COULD be a stone between the disc and the splash shield. I had this on my old BM 5 Series. Made a horrible "nails down the blackboard" noise :(