PDA

View Full Version : Mis-fire Judder is back and smell of burning oil! Help!!

JamesT5
Saturday 26th May 2012, 22:08
Hi

Ok, unfortunately the mis-fire/judder is back..

I was driving back from work tonight, about a mile from home I did a slight 'hill start' after giving way to a car and the car juddered and it was worse under acceleration. Also, the engine warning light came on intermittently and when I got home, I was even more worried... I could smell a bit of burning oil type smell and there was a little smoke too along with the judder, although the rpm needle wasn't going up and down too much but the engine sounded rough.

I'm really worried now, I don't know whether there is something seriously wrong with the engine or not. Why the burning oil smell and engine warning light? Yikes!

There's been no oil leaks from the engine block and the car hasn't long been serviced. I know the throttle body is the repaired Magnetti unit too thanks to the help of some of you in this forum.

If it's any help, I'd been using the cruise control on the way home tonight for a few miles so is it linked to that perhaps in some way indirectly or directly?

From the symptoms described, has anyone got any ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks for any advice....

Regards

James

Harvey
Sunday 27th May 2012, 08:35
Have you had the pcv looked at yet ,are you using engine oil ?.
Did you see any oil smoke from the engine bay.

crank case breather system - Wednesday 28th March 2012, 19:23
Hi I had the same problem on my S60R the breather system as shot,& some!.
The car also had a full service history from Volvo.

1 The small pipe from the firetrap box to the camshaft cover was broken in a number places.

2 I had steam smoking from the dipstick tube and a lot from the main oil filler cap when removed.

3 The top of the engine where the spark plugs / coils are was full of used engine oil.

4 But the main problem was if i parked not on level ground, slope to the near side ,leave the car start the car from cold then i had a seen from James bond with the level of smoke from the exhaust then check the oil level it would loose about 1/2 l oil.

This was a real problem by now so had the hole system changed.
what i found was a real eye opener have a look at the photos.

what was going wrong when the oil was cold it was thick and would fill up the firetrap box as the drain hole was blocked that went back to sump,then vent pipe that goes to the low pressure (vacuum) side of the turbo would suck the oil from the box and blow it into the engine not good for the cat in the exhaust !!.

All fixed now and have a vacuum at the oil filler cap like it should.

Sorry for the full story but i hope this will help someone .
Harvey
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Harvey; Wednesday 28th March 2012 at 19:41..
Hi found this old thread I did a while ago.

stribo
Sunday 27th May 2012, 09:54
It might be worth checking the rocker cover gasket isn't leaking. Look down the wells were the spark plugs sit, if one or more is full of oil, that's your problem.

JamesT5
Sunday 27th May 2012, 09:58
Thanks chaps, I'll take a look but I'm also thinking, as the problem is intermittent, it could likely be the air flow meter causing a fuel/air inbalance?

I'll keep and eye on it today but the problem seems to occur at the end of a journey when the engine is warm.

Regards

James

M-R-P
Sunday 27th May 2012, 10:22
Have you had a code reader on it yet? Maf can be leaned with some carb cleaner, worth a try. ;)

JamesT5
Sunday 27th May 2012, 23:41
Have you had a code reader on it yet? Maf can be leaned with some carb cleaner, worth a try. ;)

Hi Martin

I'm going to go to the 'main stealer' in the morning to get the reader put on it and hopefully get some straight answers.

The car has been seriously bad today and I had to drive over a mountain road with the engine warning light screaming blue murder at me and the juddering just making the journey very unpleasent. I reluctantly had to rev the guts off it to get to work this morning and it made me late.

I've found out that it's not likely the MAF today because I disconnected the electrical plug from the MAF and the judder/misfire was still there. At one point the car conked out at a stand still and I had to restart the engine.

Someone at work suggested it could be the Lambda sensor that's faulty.

Interestingly, after work I pulled off and the car was juddering like mad but smoothed out after I'd put it on the dual carriageway and given it a run at 60 - 70mph although there was still something not right. I then stopped off on route for a few hours before driving home tonight and no suprises, the car started juddering badly again in almost exactly the same point in the journey as yesterday, around 20 - 21 miles in and about a miles or two from home.

Very odd. I'll hopefully get some straight answers tomorrow. In the meantime, keep the ideas coming.

Thanks!

Regards

James

merc85
Sunday 27th May 2012, 23:47
Hi Martin

I'm going to go to the 'main stealer' in the morning to get the reader put on it and hopefully get some straight answers.

The car has been seriously bad today and I had to drive over a mountain road with the engine warning light screaming blue murder at me and the juddering just making the journey very unpleasent. I reluctantly had to rev the guts off it to get to work this morning and it made me late.

I've found out that it's not likely the MAF today because I disconnected the electrical plug from the MAF and the judder/misfire was still there. At one point the car conked out at a stand still and I had to restart the engine.

Someone at work suggested it could be the Lambda sensor that's faulty.

Interestingly, after work I pulled off and the car was juddering like mad but smoothed out after I'd put it on the dual carriageway and given it a run at 60 - 70mph although there was still something not right. I then stopped off on route for a few hours before driving home tonight and no suprises, the car started juddering badly again in almost exactly the same point in the journey as yesterday, around 20 - 21 miles in and about a miles or two from home.

Very odd. I'll hopefully get some straight answers tomorrow. In the meantime, keep the ideas coming.

Thanks!

Regards

James

Sounding like coil packs to me

M-R-P
Monday 28th May 2012, 00:16
Sounding like coil packs to me

That's exactly what i was thinking.

Is it using loads of fuel?

JamesT5
Monday 28th May 2012, 00:22
That's exactly what i was thinking.

Is it using loads of fuel?

My money is on the Lambda sensor but I'm quite happy to hold my hands up if I'm wrong. :)

One thing I've almost ruled out is the Throttle Body as the turbo still whistles away and tonight I did actually managed to get some get up and go out of the car (when it beahved itself).

Thanks chaps and watch this space tomorrow night to see if I've got any answers from the dealer.

Regards

James

M-R-P
Monday 28th May 2012, 00:36
I'll be watching with interest mate. Get the stealer to diagnose the problem but if you can hold on, get the parts elsewhere and do the work yourself :D

JamesT5
Monday 28th May 2012, 00:44
I'll be watching with interest mate. Get the stealer to diagnose the problem but if you can hold on, get the parts elsewhere and do the work yourself :D

Ok, I'll get a 'quote' from the 'stealer' to be polite but I'll check out ebay for the parts! ;)

Regards

James

stribo
Monday 28th May 2012, 08:58
Could be a blocked cat, but coilpacks are sounding favourite.

jardon
Monday 28th May 2012, 16:02
Really need those codes read before changing anything.

bubba_1986
Monday 28th May 2012, 20:15
Me and wobblydave have coilpacks for sale if it turns out to be that. Give myself of dave a pm if you need them

JamesT5
Monday 28th May 2012, 22:45
Me and wobblydave have coilpacks for sale if it turns out to be that. Give myself of dave a pm if you need them

Thanks mate, I'll see what the diagnostics turn out. On that subject........

I visited the 'main stealer' today and reluctantly booked the car in for Thursday morning. I'm crying at the price of £76 per hour but compared to the cost of 'guessing' and just fitting random parts at cost, a main stealer will at least be able to tell me what the problem is for definate. I know how many on here share my disgust at the price of the stealerships labour charges so I'm going to try and drop in to my local ATS Euromaster tomorrow and see if they can read my codes for me. If they can't, then I might try some local inde garages.

Failing that, at least I have the option to visit the main stealer on Thursday morning. It's unlikely I'll have the problem fixed there unless the cost is minimal and the hassle will outway the benefit of having it fixed.

2 questions for those who are mechanically minded......

1) How easy are coil packs to change at home and will I need special tools?

2) Where is the Lambda sensor (in case it's that), is it on the exhaust or in the inlet manifold and again is it a DIY job and will I need special tools?

Thanks everyone!

Regards

James

JamesT5
Monday 28th May 2012, 22:48
What ever happens here, I will be sharing the results with everyone so there is a point of reference for anyone else suffering the same issues. :)

bubba_1986
Monday 28th May 2012, 22:49
coil packs are a doddle to change, they just plug in and push down onto the plugs.

The lamda is on the downpipe\cat section and is taken off with a spanner

Harvey
Monday 28th May 2012, 22:51
Coil packs easy to change hard part is getting cover off will need a Torx key,10mm socket.

JamesT5
Monday 28th May 2012, 22:55
coil packs are a doddle to change, they just plug in and push down onto the plugs.

The lamda is on the downpipe\cat section and is taken off with a spanner

When I went on to Euro Car Parts website the 'Ignition Coil' is about £58 for 1. if I've got to buy 6, that's gonna be expensive, or is the ignition coil a different part?....

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volvo_V70_2.3_2001/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/ignition/ignition-coils/?413660180&1&389cb36fe276d67b0fefc303f66304047e64d789&000197

Harvey
Monday 28th May 2012, 22:58
Hi they will tell you if one or more is at fault when computer reads codes.

bubba_1986
Monday 28th May 2012, 23:09
how do you need to buy six ?

you only have five cylinders, anyhoo that is each yes and they are commonly referred to as coilpacks. If they do need changed we can do them cheap for you mate. Don't worry

JamesT5
Monday 28th May 2012, 23:32
how do you need to buy six ?

you only have five cylinders, anyhoo that is each yes and they are commonly referred to as coilpacks. If they do need changed we can do them cheap for you mate. Don't worry

The fact I said 6 shows how little I know about this so I'm grateful for the help and advice. :) I did pick the number 6 as I thought cars have 6 spark plugs. Lol

Regards

James

stribo
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 07:00
Depending where you are mate, someone may be able to give you a hand.

JamesT5
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 15:24
Hi everyone

The mystery deepens because I've been driving around today and the engine warning light has gone out and everything seems to have gone back to normal! How wierd...

I imagine there'll be no fault codes to read now as the fault will have cleared itself when the warning light went out?

I've drawn a blank on this one. Unless this really is an intermittent fault, the only thing I can possibly come up with is that it was related to the fact that I've recently poured in a fair amout of injection system cleaner in to the tank, possibly confusing the sensors or it's loosened a lot of carbon deposits that have been blocking up the injection system causing issues with the O2 sensor etc.

Anyway, I better not speak too soon or the problem could return!

Regards

James

JamesT5
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 15:31
I'm going to get a cheap code reader off ebay for under £20, that should at least allow me to read any codes that might be there or come back. I just hope the plug fits the socket on the car, that's my only worry.

merc85
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 16:44
even with the light out it still should have recorded it bud.

JamesT5
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 17:30
I just purchased this diagnostic reader off of ebay, delivery 4 - 6 days but cheaper than a trip to the Main Stealers. I'm sure there'll be plenty of people here who may be able to assist in translating the codes, that is if the device doesn't tell me already.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200761715531?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It's not the cheapest but it's CAN BUS compatible so I thought I'd spend a few extra quid and get one that will (hopefully) actually work.

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you updated!

Regards

James

oblark
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 17:34
Hi everyone

The mystery deepens because I've been driving around today and the engine warning light has gone out and everything seems to have gone back to normal! How wierd...

I imagine there'll be no fault codes to read now as the fault will have cleared itself when the warning light went out?

I've drawn a blank on this one. Unless this really is an intermittent fault, the only thing I can possibly come up with is that it was related to the fact that I've recently poured in a fair amout of injection system cleaner in to the tank, possibly confusing the sensors or it's loosened a lot of carbon deposits that have been blocking up the injection system causing issues with the O2 sensor etc.

Anyway, I better not speak too soon or the problem could return!

Regards

James

Some "minor" faults clear once you have driven about 50 miles. I started mine once with the MAF dis-connected which put the engine light on but after about 50 miles the light went out.

Harvey
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 18:00
Just thinking about this didn't Volvo have a problem with the loom to the coil packs it would short to earth as the conduit that the wires run in would go very brittle with the heat just a thought.

shepbomb
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 18:08
just thinking about this didn't volvo have a problem with the loom to the coil packs it would short to earth as the conduit that the wires run in would go very brittle with the heat just a thought.

i have no conduit left

JamesT5
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 18:30
All I'll say is I'm interested to see what the code reader will throw up when I get it and plug it in! :)

JamesT5
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 22:33
The cars been as good as gold today, no misfire, no judder and the revs have been smooth. Both times I had this problem I'd recently poured a bottle of Fuel System Cleaner in to the tank and I'm beginning to think the problem may be related to that as yesterday I filled the tank to the brim but haven't treated the tank with any system cleaner such as Millers or BG44K as I did before.

I'll await delivery of the code reader and see what it throws up before assuming anything.

Regards

James

bubba_1986
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 22:45
instead of this fuel cleaner u are using. Use v-power all the time. I have had my car for 7 years and never misfired. never changed coil packs and never used any cleaners. only done 110k mind u

it is worth it in the end, also much better for engine

M-R-P
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 23:20
I've seen a few occasions, with other cars, where a big shot of reddex has caused all sorts of hassle. Like you say, reserve judgement.

JamesT5
Thursday 31st May 2012, 00:24
Well at least my fuel injection system will be so clean now I could eat my dinner off it! ;)

I want a T5
Thursday 31st May 2012, 07:46
Save spending on fuel system cleaners.......they dont shift the really hard glaze that will settle on the injector internals due to heat soak etc. Get them properly cleaned by ultra sound and then just use decent fuel from then.

Had mine done a while back and she runs sweet as a nut!