PDA

View Full Version : broken locking wheel bolts,,grrrr..

local-looney
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:03
anyone had this problem?
havnt had my s60 long,so today took off (most of the wheels) to have a good nose around, one locking wheel bolt sheared half the head off,think they're mcgard ones,so left with about 5mm thick round head on it..
a mate suggested welding a wheelnut on,so did but to no avail..
some muppet has overtightened this one wheel horrendously,any one got any ideas??
thanks in advance...i been tearing my(whats left)hair out this afternoon trying to get this s****y bolt out..:wallbash:

merc85
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:06
Not good mate, if they are standard alloys, i take it there aint enough room around the head of the bolt to hammer a Socket over it?

local-looney
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:09
Not good mate, if they are standard alloys, i take it there aint enough room around the head of the bolt to hammer a Socket over it?

nooo....flat and round and about 5mm thick...with plenty of weld now on it..
dont really want to go the air chisel from a garage route as dont want gouges in the alloys..
just fitted new drop links and it repays me like this..lol

p fandango
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:11
seems a common problem on P2's, quite a few have managed to hit a tight fitting socket onto it & get it off. Another tip is to tighten all the other nuts as much as you can while doing it to try & ease the pressure off the locking one. I cheated lol

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5435/dscf0001bf.jpg

local-looney
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:16
thats a bit too extreme !!!!!!!!!!!!!
i got the other 4 loosened,and they were bloody tight,some numpty had an air gun racked up to its highest setting....
think im gonna cry soon..lol

mind you,if i had a spare alloy,think this would be an option!!

p fandango
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:21
thats a bit too extreme !!!!!!!!!!!!!
we tried welding onto the nut, managed to break the local tyre shops removal tool so gave up. I'd got the spare set off BT anyway

local-looney
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:30
reckon an air chisel from a tyre/exhaust garage would shatter it off?

p fandango
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:33
reckon an air chisel from a tyre/exhaust garage would shatter it off?
afraid not, there made of really strong stuff

Brett855tdi
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:34
Have you tried a locking nut remover? they have always saved my ass.
Thats the thing some people dont realise.... your not supposed to use a gun on locking nuts at all, should always be tightened by hand IMO

local-looney
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:38
Have you tried a locking nut remover? they have always saved my ass.
Thats the thing some people dont realise.... your not supposed to use a gun on locking nuts at all, should always be tightened by hand IMO

can i still use one being as theres crap loads of messy weld on the head of the bolt?

p fandango
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:40
can i still use one being as theres crap loads of messy weld on the head of the bolt?
you should be able to, i bought some but couldn't get them into the wheel recess LINK (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 6491_langId_-1_categoryId_255216)

Brett855tdi
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:41

Yea Its like a socket with a return thread inside, so as along as there is something for it to grip on (like the 5mm u may still have) should come out ok.... u can use a gun on it now tho lol

local-looney
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:44
you should be able to, i bought some but couldn't get them into the wheel recess LINK (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 6491_langId_-1_categoryId_255216)

i got tethy aloys,are these remover sockets bigger than a 19mm socket? that goes into the recess with a bit of play....

looks like your cheater option could become catching!!

local-looney
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:46
Yea Its like a socket with a return thread inside, so as along as there is something for it to grip on (like the 5mm u may still have) should come out ok.... u can use a gun on it now tho lol

you have just lifted my spirits a bit!!
still got the original half a head on the bolt left,just crap loads of weld!!

Brett855tdi
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:51

Trust Halfrauds to be £16.99 i got a set of 12 for £20 off the Mac man a few years back, Failing the removal tool.... if you had a set of proper drill pieces you could start with a pilot and work up in sizes till the head falls off, then work on the rest when the wheels off.
Ive done the welding thing before and welded a cold chisel to the bolt... but you have to get it real hot to get a proper weld on it, "penetration" or it wont hold.

p fandango
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:54
if you had a set of proper drill pieces you could start with a pilot and work up in sizes till the head falls off, then work on the rest when the wheels off
we tried drilling ours, was hardly marking the head let alone drilling into it

local-looney
Saturday 26th May 2012, 20:01
we tried drilling ours, was hardly marking the head let alone drilling into it

same as...made a scratch i think,and when the drill started to smell,thought i had better put it down!!
these bolts are tough!!

Brett855tdi
Saturday 26th May 2012, 20:04
Yep they are tough, i suppose the locking nut is much harder than a standard bolt too... also harder to weld

local-looney
Saturday 26th May 2012, 20:09
Yep they are tough, i suppose the locking nut is much harder than a standard bolt too... also harder to weld

is there a certain size to look for????????

t5 stealth
Saturday 26th May 2012, 20:11
iv got a set of removal nuts that your welcome to borrow,
i can send them to you if you want.

local-looney
Saturday 26th May 2012, 20:17
iv got a set of removal nuts that your welcome to borrow,
i can send them to you if you want.

pm'd !!!!!

Brett855tdi
Saturday 26th May 2012, 20:27
is there a certain size to look for????????

a set is best

M-R-P
Saturday 26th May 2012, 20:51
Find a socket that won't go over what's left and wrap it up in so much tape that it won't fit into the recess where what's left of the bolt head is hiding, then hammer the little begger in, the tape will keep the socket square and stop it bouncing off. I used the same socket for all 4 of my lockers and it only gripped the top 2 or 3 mm of the bolt.

Worth a try. Make sure you use a good Ball - pein hammer not a lump hammer as you will dent the alloy at some point. I have the VPC bag of P2 non-locking bolts I can pass on to you if you need it. I won't use lockers now;)

local-looney
Saturday 26th May 2012, 20:56
Find a socket that won't go over what's left and wrap it up in so much tape that it won't fit into the recess where what's left of the bolt head is hiding, then hammer the little begger in, the tape will keep the socket square and stop it bouncing off. I used the same socket for all 4 of my lockers and it only gripped the top 2 or 3 mm of the bolt.

Worth a try. Make sure you use a good Ball - pein hammer not a lump hammer as you will dent the alloy at some point. I have the VPC bag of P2 non-locking bolts I can pass on to you if you need it. I won't use lockers now;)

good idea!!
if i had 5 alloys...id be down to 4 now!!!!!
just cannot understand the muppetry in some people to overtighten these things..the other 4 had to be undone with a breaker bar..yet the other wheels were as you would expect!!
still,on the upside,new droplinks fitted,and front and rear genuine volvo mud guards fitted..