PDA

View Full Version : Boost leak

T5frankie
Saturday 26th May 2012, 12:24
i have a boost leak and i cant find it when it gets over 8 psi it squeals like a pig, could it be the intercooler?

dalhousie2008
Saturday 26th May 2012, 14:56
Thats a strange one, at least you have a spare.

Chad
Saturday 26th May 2012, 15:03
have you checked the hose coming off the throttle body?? very common.

T5frankie
Saturday 26th May 2012, 16:00
have you checked the hose coming off the throttle body?? very common.

yes mate i hope its not the intercooler just can't be bothered in this weather lol

dalhousie2008
Saturday 26th May 2012, 16:04
fab a leak test from some tube

T5frankie
Saturday 26th May 2012, 16:19
fab a leak test from some tube

how? by doing what?

dalhousie2008
Saturday 26th May 2012, 16:23
Get a piece of tube same diameter. Drill hole put in a bolt on or push fit tyre valve and compress it to 15 psi and listen for leak, easy to do.

Can use dye or washing up liquid for double checkingif you've found leak

T5frankie
Saturday 26th May 2012, 16:44
Get a piece of tube same diameter. Drill hole put in a bolt on or push fit tyre valve and compress it to 15 psi and listen for leak, easy to do.

Can use dye or washing up liquid for double checkingif you've found leak

metal tube? and put where?

dalhousie2008
Saturday 26th May 2012, 16:47
Just put it on a boost hose, use an old one cut it in half and put your new fabed pipe in the middle. Make sure it's in a convenient place

Always handy if you need to use again

T5frankie
Saturday 26th May 2012, 16:50
Just put it on a boost hose, use an old one cut it in half and put your new fabed pipe in the middle. Make sure it's in a convenient place

Always handy if you need to use again

where do you get valves from? halfords?

Brett855tdi
Saturday 26th May 2012, 16:51
I made a simple little gadget for a leak on the TDI

Cut a circular piece of MDF or similar the same size as the pipe onto the maf,
drill a hole in the new piece to take a tyre valve, (i cut one from an old inner tube)
clamp it into the hose using the original jew clip and blow some pressure in with any sort of pump (i used an airline) the leak will become very obvious very quickly ;)
P.S din pocket on its way

dalhousie2008
Saturday 26th May 2012, 16:53
I made a simple little gadget for a leak on the TDI

drill a hole in the new piece to take a tyre valve, (i cut one from an old inner tube)
clamp it into the hose using the original jew clip and blow some pressure in with any sort of pump (i used an airline) the leak will become very obvious very quickly ;)
P.S din pocket on its way

exactly what i mean all different ways but all do the same, i used a piece of pipe as it was more secure.

Brett855tdi
Saturday 26th May 2012, 16:54
where do you get valves from? halfords?

Anywhere that does tyres will give you one for nothing

Brett855tdi
Saturday 26th May 2012, 17:00
exactly what i mean all different ways but all do the same, i used a piece of pipe as it was more secure.

i used 25mm MDF once i had tightened the clip up... would have taken more pressure than the rest of the system, and i didnt have to waste any spares :)
Also by putting it in at the start before the turbo the system would hold the pressure instead of just blowing past the turbo.....

Kingsford G
Saturday 26th May 2012, 17:31
Leave it as is frankie so when we kick off at 1/4mile I`ve got enough time to make a cup of tea at the other end by the time u arrive lol

dalhousie2008
Saturday 26th May 2012, 17:35
i used 25mm MDF once i had tightened the clip up... would have taken more pressure than the rest of the system, and i didnt have to waste any spares :)
Also by putting it in at the start before the turbo the system would hold the pressure instead of just blowing past the turbo.....

Ill give that a try. I found mine ok and i have a few spares, but everyone should have one in the tool box as its a quick way of finding the leak.

You should do a how to guide for the forum, be useful for members.

T5frankie
Saturday 26th May 2012, 18:23
Leave it as is frankie so when we kick off at 1/4mile I`ve got enough time to make a cup of tea at the other end by the time u arrive lol

lol but i got my map through today and i cant even feel the benefit ffs lol

Kingsford G
Saturday 26th May 2012, 18:27
lol but i got my map through today and i cant even feel the benefit ffs lol

Get it sorted before the meet so u might b the one making tea than lol

T5frankie
Saturday 26th May 2012, 18:58
Get it sorted before the meet so u might b the one making tea than lol

i dont drink tea nor do i ever make tea lol

p fandango
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:16
thanks for the idea, just made myself one. I used a 76mm hole cutter (i'm using 3" pipes) to cut the mdf, then just drilled & tapped a spare air connector into it. Just need a pump now lol

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/696/26052012585.jpg

Brett855tdi
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:26
Yes! that's the proverbial badger!
I used a shrader valve tho... then with a tyre inflator you can see the psi ;)
And yes perfect tool to have at the bottom of the tool box!
On mine i even put a little handle to pull it back out again lol

p fandango
Saturday 26th May 2012, 19:41
On mine i even put a little handle to pull it back out again lol
& i thought i was bored lol

T5frankie
Saturday 26th May 2012, 20:30
ill have to make something up tomorrow

Brett855tdi
Saturday 26th May 2012, 20:40
& i thought i was bored lol

i have a weird OCD only goes with cars tho lol

Kingsford G
Saturday 26th May 2012, 21:01
i dont drink tea nor do i ever make tea lol

Uuuuuuuuuuuu lol

T5frankie
Sunday 27th May 2012, 10:53
boost leak sorted jubilee clip lol the one nearest the turbo wasnt tight at all lol, i only foud out after taking all the boost pipes off though lol, so whilst i was at it i decided to fit my silicone jobbies induction kit and dump valve

leeboy
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 20:09
a while ago i said about a horrible noise coming from the engine on boost
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43808&highlight=jet+engine

but today after making a cap and presureizing the system i found this under the intercooler

it kind of looks like something is ment to be there. anyone able to shed some light? gonna get it blocked up.

p fandango
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 20:11
after making a cap and presureizing the system i found this under the intercooler

it kind of looks like something is ment to be there. anyone able to shed some light? gonna get it blocked up.
it's put there to drain any oil that collects in the intercooler

bubba_1986
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 20:16
a while ago i said about a horrible noise coming from the engine on boost
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43808&highlight=jet+engine

but today after making a cap and presureizing the system i found this under the intercooler

Same thing happened to mine, just blocked it off with a nut and bolt. Was a pain to find where it was coming from though

T5frankie
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 20:21
no boost leak now car is boosting lovely thanks to some new bosch super plus yttrium plugs