PDA

View Full Version : Rear Wiper Arm replaced - here's the story...

JamesT5
Friday 25th May 2012, 22:57
Hi

Well, this really is more for your reference and information rather than me seeking guidance (for once). :bounce:

Ok, I'll try and keep this as short as possible but I'll start at the start....

I brought the V70 T5 in March and I noticed the rear wiper arm was 'loose' and not seated properly against the window. Consequently the wiper was not clearing the window properly.

So, after examining the problem, I noticed the retention spring that keeps the wiper pressed against the window wasn't there and had fallen off at some point prior to me owning the car.

My 'bright' idea was to replace the whole arm with a brand new unit and so thinking a 'main stealer' would want a small fortune for supplying and fixing the problem, I went on to ebay and brought one... from Poland! :slap:

Why Poland? Well it seemed like a 'good price' (£25 incl shipping), and the seller had a good feedback profile. About a week later the part turned up but to my horror, it was for a left hand drive car and a later model, despite the listing saying it would fit a 2001 V70 T5 model (refund request now sent to trader by the way). :shockedbi

The later wiper blade arm has that extra plastic bit on the end that ended up clipping my rear spoiler plus the wiper blade was intergrated with the plastic arm, something I didn't discover until I'd fiddled around sweating my backside off in the sun forcing the new blade on to the old 'wiper arm stub' (the metal arrow/kinked but that connects to the spline).

I could have taken the spline off (or tried in vein), but there seemed little point seeing the replacement part was kinked the wrong way as it was for a left hand drive car, hence I forced the main arm on to the old 'stub' and attached the retention spring that came with the Polish kit.

At this point, I changed the plan and though I'd take the new wiper arm off and just use the spring on the old wiper arm and that way I won't be taking the paint off of my spoiler everytime it rains. Good plan? Errr, well......no! :redface:

What happened was in the process of trying to stretch the spring so I could take the 'new' arm off the stub, I snapped the stubb in half ( :tombstone )and couldn't remove it from the spline. So, I went to my nearest Volvo dealer (read on), and this is where I struck lucky....

The technician removed the old stubb for me free of charge :shockedbi and then I went to see the parts guy. He was really helpful, they happened to have a part sitting on the shelf they were trying to get rid of because one part of it was broken, but thankfully not the part I'd broken myself. The part that was broken on their new bit was the clip on the arm where the wiper blade clips in to. The stubb was brand new and in perfect condition.... Perfect for me!

In the end, I agreed £7 for cash with the parts chap, fitted the wiper arm and there we have it, the problem is solved.

Who said 'main stealers' are expensive? Well I know they are really but in this case a trip down to the dealer paid dividends.

Thanks for reading this rather long story but the moral of the story is, speak to your local dealer because you never know what you may get back in your favour!

Regards

James

merc85
Friday 25th May 2012, 23:15
Who was the main dealer????

JamesT5
Friday 25th May 2012, 23:51
Who was the main dealer????

Keith Price Garages, Abergavenny. :B_censore

Send them a 'Gold Star' and a Lolly in the post.... :)

LeeT5
Saturday 26th May 2012, 06:49
Good result!

I always phone my main dealer as some of the time there not really that expensive. Plus i get that good feeling knowing its a genuine part.

JamesT5
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 21:21
The streaky, loose wiper arm was driving me insane. Now it's sits firmly against the window and does a clean sweep. I even put a new blade on for good measure. The only thing is, the blade/arm seems to have a habit of sitting on the paitwork just below the window, even before the repair. Annoying to say the least!

Regards

James

T5frankie
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 21:25
just put a renault clio wiper on much more modern and better looking

merc85
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 21:28
just put a renault clio wiper on much more modern and better looking

Thats a good idea, Lighter too lol

T5frankie
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 21:31
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/volvov70rnew1.jpg
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/volvov70rnew2.jpg

JamesT5
Tuesday 29th May 2012, 22:21
Is it me or does it look a little small?

T5frankie
Wednesday 30th May 2012, 05:36
Is it me or does it look a little small?

It's exactly the same size mate