PDA

View Full Version : Heater Matrix is FUBAR......

Wally Dog
Wednesday 23rd May 2012, 09:52
Hi chaps,

I've been experiencing some wispy condensation at the bottom of my windscreen for a week or so and last night (after dispatching a Mk 6 Golf GTI & giving a Civic Typr R a good run for its money) it decided to grow somewhat and cover my windscreen with condensation!

Having just spoken to Volvo, I feel weak and faintly sick - they want £194.40 for a replacement matrix!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have any experience changing these over and if so, are the after-market ones (£56 + VAT from GSF) any good?

Many thanks....

V70 Graham
Wednesday 23rd May 2012, 09:56
This should help.....

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40269

M-R-P
Wednesday 23rd May 2012, 09:59
The GSF ones are fine afaik, not heard any bad things about them :D

bubba_1986
Wednesday 23rd May 2012, 10:14
doing mine today, so will let u know. Though to be fair ill have whole interior out as changing it :D

M-R-P
Wednesday 23rd May 2012, 10:17
Don't forget to disconnect the battery for a couple of hours before you start or you'll trigger a permanent srs warning when you unplug the seats...:( (if it's a phase 2 model)
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42794

oblark
Wednesday 23rd May 2012, 10:23
Have you tried delhousie as he's break a 850

960kg
Wednesday 23rd May 2012, 10:28
Just done mine yesterday £38 from the bay with 2yr warranty, the "O" rings are from Volvo £1.85 each not from Parts Monster £3.25 each , some matrix come with the rings!

Just pull back the carpet easy to get to no taking up plastic to get carpet up or any seat moving, i just caught mine in time as the screen just started to mist and water down in reservoir by only 1/2" so decided on a quick change because of the hot weather.

Don`t worry about the coolant in the cabin, when it was time to pull off the matrix from the pipes my friend was on one side and i was on the other and held a bin liner up behind the pipes and when disconnected about a litre of coolant just simply fell into the bag with no panic and no wet carpet or towelling which were at the ready. Took about an easy 2 hours.This link is good (http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=47045)

Forgot to mention, i never used the clamps on the heater pipes at the bulkhead, i just pulled off the bottom hose to the radiator this is lower than the heater pipes so most comes out and will use a fresh mix of antifreeze etc.

T5frankie
Wednesday 23rd May 2012, 14:51
think i have a spare matrix mate

Wally Dog
Wednesday 23rd May 2012, 17:08
Have you tried delhousie as he's break a 850

Thought about it - I met Steve and Rob (Oblark) on Saturday and Steve popped his ECU into my car - WWWWOOOOOOOHHHHHHOOOOOOO - I want a re-map for Christmas! Just gotta get the suspension sorted and brakes upgraded! Great guys, sorry it was such a fleeting visit.

Upon reflection, I think it's probably best to invest the £38 in a brand new one with warranty and make the time at the weekend to do it before it explodes, especially if it's so relatively easy to do. Thanks to Frankie for the offer but it's probably going to be just as quick & easy to get one mail order as to get it sent down from up North.

Cheers.

Wally Dog
Wednesday 23rd May 2012, 17:09
Special thanks to V70Graham and 960KG for their useful info

siamblue
Wednesday 23rd May 2012, 17:33
Would you like a hand doing it?i will be in.Portsmouth on Sunday,but not until about 5.

Gary

Ps.it will.only.take.about half.an.hour to do.it.