PDA

View Full Version : 'Start Prevented' Message

JamesT5
Tuesday 22nd May 2012, 20:43
Hi

Anyone know why the car would throw up a 'Start Prevented' message, any speical reason etc?

It happens totally at randon and as far as I can tell it's the immobiliser preventing the engine from starting up. The method to reset it generally seems to be, key out of the ignition, lock vehicle, unlock vehicle and then attempt a restart.

Regards

James

Harvey
Tuesday 22nd May 2012, 20:47
Hi have you got a lot of keys metal near the key fob as this can upset the receiver on the steering column.

JamesT5
Tuesday 22nd May 2012, 20:51
Hi have you got a lot of keys metal near the key fob as this can upset the receiver on the steering column.

I do have quite a few keys on my key set, yes! Maybe that's the issue I'm having?

LeeT5
Tuesday 22nd May 2012, 23:19
That fault is the Transponder reciever on the back of the ignition barrel not recognising the transponder chip in the key.

As Harvey says, lose ALL your other keys from the bunch and just have your car key in the ignition.

I only have my house, garage and bike lock keys on my car keys and they are attached via a small carabiner. When i get in the car i unclip the carabiner and place the small key bunch in the drivers door pocket, leaving just the car key in the ignition.

Other vehicle keys will interfere with the key. Also you should replace your car key battery at least once every two years.