PDA

View Full Version : Shocks for s70r

Kingsford G
Saturday 19th May 2012, 22:11
Regardless what car my project MAD undergoing I`m choosing some bits.As I wont b spensing crazy money just was thinking what is best value for money make of shock absorbersr.Been looking at sachs and kyb tbh never had any experience wiv any of those.I`m more afte combination of comfort and performance.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 19th May 2012, 22:15
Koni FSD are worth a look. I had a set for 75K miles - they were really good.

M-R-P
Saturday 19th May 2012, 22:23
OE Volvo ones lasted 173k on mine with 123k of trafic plod abuse. I now have Boge Automatic shocks on the front and they are superb - 190 quid the pair.

Kingsford G
Saturday 19th May 2012, 22:39
Whats the ride and cornering like on the above shocks?

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 19th May 2012, 22:42
Koni FSD are progressive - the more you rock & roll the more they stiffen up - so there is a good balance of ride comfort & sporty ride without it being too uncompliant. they are also good VFM.

M-R-P
Saturday 19th May 2012, 22:49
Whats the ride and cornering like on the above shocks?

still on plod springs but it rides firm but smooth. I have to be really stupid in the corners to have it let go and even then, just letting off the throttle brings it back in line. turn-in is helped by polybushes and good tyres but after fitting cheap shocks to my mates P1 V70 2.5T, I can say the Boge jobbies are the mutz nutz ;)

Kingsford G
Saturday 19th May 2012, 22:51
Ouch £500+ just for the shocks.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 19th May 2012, 22:56
That's good value for performance shocks.

t5_monkey
Saturday 19th May 2012, 23:04
Bilstein B8's are awesome.

Won't tell you how much they cost tho :)

What about coilovers ?

Kingsford G
Saturday 19th May 2012, 23:05
If they r as good as they say (smart tecnology) than they r indeed.

Kingsford G
Saturday 19th May 2012, 23:06
Bilstein B8's are awesome.

Won't tell you how much they cost tho :)

What about coilovers ?

Never used coilovers tbh.My cuz had them on his BMW 520 only paid about £190 they were good.

LeeT5
Sunday 20th May 2012, 17:53
Regardless what car my project MAD undergoing I`m choosing some bits.As I wont b spensing crazy money just was thinking what is best value for money make of shock absorbersr.Been looking at sachs and kyb tbh never had any experience wiv any of those.I`m more afte combination of comfort and performance.

Mate, with respect, if you want a daily runner and your not looking to track your car then spending hundreds on fancy shocks will be a waste of money and you won't really notice the difference.

If you buy oe equivalent, ie SACHS the you'll notice a huge difference over your current shocks if they are badly worn and save your back pocket too.

I bought Bilstein shocks for my T5 and the difference was amazing.

Make sure you replace all the top hats and bearing support plates cos these account for at least 50% of suspension noise and will compliment the new shocks.

t5_monkey
Sunday 20th May 2012, 19:44
Mate, with respect, if you want a daily runner and your not looking to track your car then spending hundreds on fancy shocks will be a waste of money and you won't really notice the difference.

If you buy oe equivalent, ie SACHS the you'll notice a huge difference over your current shocks if they are badly worn and save your back pocket too.

I bought Bilstein shocks for my T5 and the difference was amazing.

Make sure you replace all the top hats and bearing support plates cos these account for at least 50% of suspension noise and will compliment the new shocks.

I'd say you'd definately notice the difference between stock and bilstein - however it's all down to how much ££ you want to spend at the end of the day.

Kingsford G
Sunday 20th May 2012, 19:59
Had bilstein streetline kit on my mk2 golf,the ride wasn`t smoother but handlled well and after 3,5years sold it still in perfect condition.My car has no plans to go on a track.4xsachs`ll probably cost me about £200+,bilsteins r more expensive but last longer rpobably go for B4 ones.I`m dredding to think how much u paid for yr B8`s Monkey.The ones on mine not bad just thinking of doing it to tip top condition.

LeeT5
Sunday 20th May 2012, 20:02
I'd say you'd definately notice the difference between stock and bilstein - however it's all down to how much ££ you want to spend at the end of the day.

Sorry Monkey, what i mean't was....YES he will of course notice the difference when fitting new Bilsteins, it will be night and day, especially if his current shocks have done 80k +.
Just mean't as a daily runner and from a comfort point of view theres no point spending £1000 on a pair of shocks....and that's just for the front!

A Bilstein B4 shock is only £90 from PFV. So that's £180 a pair + postage. Then the rears of course + top hats and support plates.

Kingsford G
Sunday 20th May 2012, 20:45
Sorry Monkey, what i mean't was....YES he will of course notice the difference when fitting new Bilsteins, it will be night and day, especially if his current shocks have done 80k +.
Just mean't as a daily runner and from a comfort point of view theres no point spending £1000 on a pair of shocks....and that's just for the front!

A Bilstein B4 shock is only £90 from PFV. So that's £180 a pair + postage. Then the rears of course + top hats and support plates.

No way I`m spending £1000 on shocks.Bilstein B4 and Sachs price diff is about £50-60 max just wondering which of those a better ride.Having a bad back need it to b a smoother than it is now.

LeeT5
Monday 21st May 2012, 11:17
No way I`m spending £1000 on shocks.Bilstein B4 and Sachs price diff is about £50-60 max just wondering which of those a better ride.Having a bad back need it to b a smoother than it is now.

From memory i think the SACHS ones will be smoother as they are oil filled. Volvo OE shocks are made by SACHS.
Bilsteins are gas filled. Personally i think you'll get a better ride with Bilsteins and if you get the B4s the ride won't be harsh either.