PDA

View Full Version : HID woes!

S1mon
Thursday 17th May 2012, 20:49
OK, so I'm going to eat my hat here after some discussion on a previous thread!

I have always used a UK company called Lightec Autostyle for HIDs and they're brilliant. The S60 is however the 1st CANBUS car I've ever fitted to and you guessed it...I have a bulb out message!! :( Even though the kit is CANBUS specific. I know Lightec will refund me but I'm wandering...the kit is installed so do I try a CANBUS cancelling adapter from Lightec (£12.99) or do I bite the bullet and buy an HIDS4U kit? (£145)

JamesT5
Thursday 17th May 2012, 21:07
I've thought about putting HID's on my 2001 V70 T5 and I heard about the 'canbus' thing, i.e. the engine management system doesn't like HID kits so there is an adaptor with some of the HIDS4U kits. I think there is another site too but I'm racking my brains for which one it is, they have kits for about £80 that are canbus types.

S1mon
Thursday 17th May 2012, 21:12
Once you've had HIDs it's really not very pleasant driving at night without them which is why I'm keen to get these sorted. I am considering using the adapter harness from Lightec as it saves pulling the kit out after spending so much time fitting it nice and neatly. I really want to hear anyone's experiences and/or opinions of the these adapters. Last thing I want is damage to the vehicle electrics.

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 17th May 2012, 21:17
Drill thy shunt!

Do a search on here for 'drilling shunt'. Basically you modify the shunt resistor that the ECU uses to detect if the bulb is working or not. It's a very simple process and works in most cases.

Regarding the 'canbus compatible' kits - I'm not so sure about the difference of these. From an electrical engineering and systems point of view, the kits won't have a CANBUS module in them, and they certainly will not be programmed to reply to messages from the vehicles ECU. More to the point, what would that be replacing? Your standard H7 filament bulb definatley cannot talk CANBUS!

I think at best the canbus kits have better noise filtering to stop any nasty high frequencies from the ballast unit which may upset some ECU's.

Any error cancelling harnesses/modules will just have an additional load resistor to bring the total power consumed back up to the value of the original filament bulb. Some have capacitors to help with the high frequency noise.

The error cancelling harness/module with a load resistor will be using the extra power and turning it into heat. This is a waste. By modifying the shunt, the car is looking for a lower power to start with.

S1mon
Thursday 17th May 2012, 22:25
Cool, found that. I've just been out for a quick drive now it's dark and I'm not too happy with the beam pattern! This, again is odd as I've always been so very happy with these kits. The light on the road is very patchy. Just going to email Lightec and see what they say.

deathrider311271
Thursday 17th May 2012, 22:39
fitted this kit to my dads 2012 Ford Kuga and my sisters 2010 C30 with no problems at all, expensive isnt always best, i have been using this kit for the last 5 years and have only just had to replace the ballasts bulbs are still good

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-35W-New-Brand-Car-H7-4300K-Super-Slim-Hid-Xenon-Bulb-Ballast-Conversion-Kit-/250964193789?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a6ea1b1fd

Simon

p fandango
Friday 18th May 2012, 04:46
there must of been a big software update/change early 2003, as my 52reg S60 doesn't mind HID's or the LED interior lights. Yet my old man's 03 throws a bulb failure for the HID's & his LED's give a permanent faint glow which mine doesn't

i also warn about drilling the shunt as we tried it & ended up with no working lights at all on the front of the car

JimmyBurnWorld
Friday 18th May 2012, 05:49
Fair comment Pedro.

Get yourself a spare shunt before you embark on the mod, they're approx £6 from the main dealer. That way you have a fallback if you don't hit the target with the drill.

stephenevans99
Friday 18th May 2012, 07:50
It seems silly not to Buy n Try the £12.99 cancelling adapter - if that works great, if not then send the whole caboodle back for a refund.

I've been looking at HIDS4U but also a company called HIDSDirect who do a suitable kit for £69.99 with a 2 year warranty.

Their kit is described as ...."Canbus-Terminator boasts the most technically advanced digital ballasts that are compatible with all of the latest smart canbus systems that we know of. This includes all Volvo's, all BMW incl. e90, all Saab, all Mercedes & more..."

I'm waiting for a trip into Manchester next week and I was going to call in to the look at the quality of the kit. If it looks cheap, I'll be ordering a kit from HIDS4U.

Brett855tdi
Friday 18th May 2012, 08:40
The C70 98 i bought the other day came with some of the real cheapo 35w £45 ebay HIDs and im really impressed with them! for a cheap kit thats cost as much as ive spent on bulbs alone before, really good!
Also i dont have any problems with the bulb error system,
however i did find some led side lights in the boot and blue halogen bulbs in the lights..... so im guessing they dont like led side lights?

S1mon
Friday 18th May 2012, 09:42
Your C70 will have no issues what so ever with HIDs/LEDs as it doesn't have the CANBUS system. It's done with good ol' fashioned wires and switches with no computer in between! It's only the P2-on that are soooo bloody fussy!! Worse than my missus at 'that time of the month!'