PDA

View Full Version : Noooo........ ETM failure!!

d2k
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 15:26
great........ just as im starting to make the car look better my ETM has started to fail.

common idle symptoms ive seen from others.... its fine once im past 2krpm but pulling up at ANY junction & she coughs & splutters & wants to die!!

fking typical..... im not gonna let myself hate the car though as its a common fault & its the original ETM so it was only a matter of time..

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!:cry:

M-R-P
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 15:48
Oh dear! PM Niles mate, he's had some experience with these things, he might be able to point you in the right direction. Don't give up mate, once you get the ETM sorted, all the crappy ford bits will have been fixed ;)

T5frankie
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 15:49
dave has one for sale cheap

stephenevans99
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 15:59
The guy on eBay who does DIM repairs also repairs ETM's, apparently he's quite well known for his quality work....

ETM Repairs (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Throttle-Body-Repair-Service-Cheapest-Ebay-/120897172496?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c26087410)

d2k
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 16:00
thanks martin....... that's exactly what i just said to the wife (after she told me to chuck it off a cliff!!), the ETM is the last big 'common' failure i have left to change...

frankie..... thanks.

dont these ETM's fall under the recoding crap, i didnt know you could just change them..???

:smile:

d2k
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 16:03
The guy on eBay who does DIM repairs also repairs ETM's, apparently he's quite well known for his quality work....

ETM Repairs (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Throttle-Body-Repair-Service-Cheapest-Ebay-/120897172496?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c26087410)

lol..... i rang him about 2hrs ago, he can fix it ... the problem is he's going on holiday in a few days & wont be back for 3 weeks :cry:, & there's no way i'll get the thing out of the car by then..

again....... typical

stephenevans99
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 16:10
He does an exchange service too - I think. Doesn't he have an exchange one you could pay a refundable deposit on?

d2k
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 16:14
He does an exchange service too - I think. Doesn't he have an exchange one you could pay a refundable deposit on?

ooh........ im not sure, ill find out.....

if i was to wait the 3 weeks for his return, will driving it like this damage anything..??

Chad
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 16:19
Some of the ETM's are interchangeable if magnetti marelli (make)

d2k
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 16:22
ah....... mine is one of those 'Magnetti' jobbies.

who is 'dave' ..??, & how cheap is cheap :P, i know these things are quite expensive..

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 16:59
I have one going cheap. Came off a MY 99 ME7 C70 today.

d2k
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 17:21
here's a pic of my ETM..... its not a magnetti one, its Bosch.. does this mean its new..??

http://i49.tinypic.com/2qi4h09.jpg

does anyone have code reading capabilities near me, ive ordered a reader (was told it was UK stock but still not here after a week), i need to get the codes read to be sure it is the ETM, cant see it being anything else given the symptoms.... but..

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 17:32
That isnt an ETM AFAIK?? The etm is suspended upside down under the inlet manifold. - you'd be hard pressed to see it.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 17:37
I might be going a bit wobbly here - but it may look very different on the phase 3 - so feel free to ignore me.

d2k
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 18:11
that is suspended upside down under the inlet manifold....

its the same as this one....... (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/00-06-VOLVO-T5-2-3T-THROTTLE-BODY-S60-S80-V70-XC70-C70-30650013-02W232-BOSCH-/290702832609?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43af3d33e1#ht_1479wt_941)

lol.... sorry about the sig pic.. i must remove it, i have a P2 S60, not P3

1260pete
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 18:13
looks like the etm to me lol,, i had the same issues on my p2 mate and monday night i stripped it and cleaned it and its now smooth as a babies bum on tickover took a good couple of hours but well worth it

d2k
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 18:28
looks like the etm to me lol,, i had the same issues on my p2 mate and monday night i stripped it and cleaned it and its now smooth as a babies bum on tickover took a good couple of hours but well worth it

how hard was the removal..?? is yours turbo..??

if so...... dont suppose you could give me a quick breakdown on the way its taken out....

thankyou pete.....

1260pete
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 18:44
how hard was the removal..?? is yours turbo..??

if so...... dont suppose you could give me a quick breakdown on the way its taken out....

thankyou pete.....

not done one before mate is your engine is the same as mine t5 me7 if so i'll tell you no problem

d2k
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 18:46
right...... Lukaz @ volvodiagnostic.com just got back to me after i sent him my ETM pic, he assures me my problem IS NOT a failing ETM as this one is pretty new..

he said it could be a MAF problem or maybe a broken boost hose, but without a code reader im fked.....

this could end up being a far cheaper fix...lol :smile:

bubba_1986
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 19:40
Not same one as me and Dave have for sale. Sorry mate

M-R-P
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 19:48
you got a bosche etm. which is odd, they didn't fit those on 2002 models unless the MM one had already failed and the bosche one was a warranty job. AFAIK, the bosche jobbies were 2003 onwards :)

Try unplugging the maf and see if anything changes. If not, it's the maf. after that, go searching for holes in boost pipes and in the I/C or little vac hoses knackered.

:D not the ETM yay :beer:

d2k
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 19:55
thx guys..... these posts are filling me with hope, off i trott to unplug the MAF.:saint:

& to think i had no stored or active codes present when the car was serviced, im gonna have a fk load now.

1260pete
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 20:03
Why? did ya get the codes checked when it was serviced?

d2k
Wednesday 16th May 2012, 20:09
Why? did ya get the codes checked when it was serviced?

codes were checked about 3 or 4 months ago, there was none.......

surely unplugging the MAF is gonna store a new one, the current issue im having must have at least one stored.... & the fact the DIM has died since the service & ive got the stupid SRS warning up which has no doubt thrown another up there.....

i hate pesky codes....lol

d2k
Thursday 17th May 2012, 08:33
ok....... here's a few vids of the problem, in this first vid i did not touch the throttle once, it seems like its misfiring then dying.

View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/17bz1w/6)

in this 2nd vid..... with MAF disabled it ticks over @ 1krpm perfectly.. so im guessing MAF problem maybe..??, would that cause misfires..??

View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/14jun1v/6)

after unplugging the MAF, my engine fan fired up & would not stop even when i got out & locked the car..???, i had to disconnect the batt to get it to stop..?? WTF!!

excuse my poor video skills....

M-R-P
Thursday 17th May 2012, 09:06
Ok, disconnecting the battery may have helped the problem (clears some faults and codes) It does look like the maf is at fault. IIRC, when cold, the engine uses the maf differently to when it's warmed up a bit. this could be why it runs at 1krpm then drops and dies.
Get some carb cleaner and clean the maf (carefully), I've whacked one with the back end of a screwdriver before lol, seemed to help. If you get a new maf, don't be cheap about it, get one from Rufe or P.F.V..

good luck dude.

M-R-P
Thursday 17th May 2012, 09:08
Oh, the fan running on is a safety thing because the engine can't see the maf. does it for a lot of reasons but this time it's the maf ;)

d2k
Thursday 17th May 2012, 09:19
ah.......... right, thank god!!

lol...... i was gonna mention the £40 pattern MAF's out there on ebay, but i wont bother now :o

i'll take it off & see what we can do with it before i buy one......

cheers martin.:)

M-R-P
Thursday 17th May 2012, 09:22
Might be worth cleaning the contacts on the maf plug and socket first, in case it's just some corrosion stopping it making contact.

bubba_1986
Thursday 17th May 2012, 09:41
we have a bosch maf for sale aswell btw, im sure they are the same if you are interested ?

M-R-P
Thursday 17th May 2012, 09:50
Volvo OE mafs are bosch mate ;)

It'll be worth trying a known working maf if you can find one.

bubba_1986
Thursday 17th May 2012, 09:56
yeah a know, i was half asleep when posted that. Been breaking a car for past two days, bit tired lol

d2k
Thursday 17th May 2012, 09:59
we have a bosch maf for sale aswell btw, im sure they are the same if you are interested ?

sweet...... how much bubba.??

right..... giving the contacts a clean & smacking it with the screwdriver a few times, it seems to be working again :):banana:, so at least im now 100% sure its the MAF.

but i need to get it replaced or get another one i can clean, then swap... ill get a pic of my MAF bubba..

cheers lads...:cool:

M-R-P
Thursday 17th May 2012, 10:01
I think our P2 ones may be slightly larger than P1/850 ones... ok everybody - whip it out and get measuring ;)

JamesT5
Thursday 7th June 2012, 23:57
I've just read this thread and it sounds like my misfire problem. I sympathise!