PDA

View Full Version : chip tuning

chich100
Tuesday 4th January 2005, 18:22
Took car to chiptuning today,had rica upgrade.well impressed with whole set up,but think hamish is a born again non smoker!!!! as far as the car is concerned OH YES!!!!!. :thewave:

grumpybob
Tuesday 4th January 2005, 21:48
Got mine booked in for Friday and can't wait. It's a long drive from sunny Scotland but will be worth it.

Rob

hamish
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 00:08
It's going to be a quicker trip home !!!
Regards
Hamish.

CAMO
Friday 7th January 2005, 09:24
let us know how the car behaves, what sort of difference has it made?, how does it drive like?, it is uncontrollable? what has it done to the fuel consumption?

Murphy
Friday 7th January 2005, 09:35
Which set up are you going for ?!!?

chich100
Friday 7th January 2005, 20:47
Since rica upgrade have spent most of week stuck behind tractors in country lanes on the way to work,but on the few occassions when ive been able to use my right foot the difference in the car is so impressive it just digs in and pulls regardless of what gear your in.You do have to use sense in first and second gear to avoid lighting up the front tyres but thats always been a problem!.Finding optimax is pain as the only one near to me is a motorway services,what about BP ultimate is that a higher octane rating?
Does the abs system disable itself when it detects a fault so that your left with normal braking?

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 8th January 2005, 01:41
Tracs (if you have it) in an 850 only works upto about 30 mph. Tyre choice on the front is key.

ABS warning light will come on if it is disengaged - after detecting a problem.
I have succesfully reconned many ABS ECU units now. If you need yours doing then give me a shout.

You might want to think about a small investment in your front brakes - namely VT's recommended choice of Brembo disks and Ferodo DS pads. You only really need the fronts doing as this is where the majority of the braking effort is done.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 8th January 2005, 01:42
PS BP ultimate is only 97 RON where as Optimax is 98.

Goof
Saturday 8th January 2005, 11:10
I understand that the higher RON value only makes the engine less prone to pinking by making the fuel/air burn slower than lower RON petrol - a higher RON fuel does not offer any increase in power in itself. Any increase in power is from the burn characteristics of the higher RON, not from the fuel itself.
Other added benefits of Shell / BP "special" fuels are the supposed cleaning elements - possibly also making the fuel less polluting.

Correct me if I'm missing the point!

Mrsmopp
Saturday 8th January 2005, 12:22
You dont actually NEED bigger and better brakes after RICA - its personal preference (and you can get brakes from many places not just VT!)

And BP ultimate is the next best thing to optimax

x

volvotuning
Saturday 8th January 2005, 12:39
I understand that the higher RON value only makes the engine less prone to pinking by making the fuel/air burn slower than lower RON petrol - a higher RON fuel does not offer any increase in power in itself. Any increase in power is from the burn characteristics of the higher RON, not from the fuel itself.
Other added benefits of Shell / BP "special" fuels are the supposed cleaning elements - possibly also making the fuel less polluting.

Correct me if I'm missing the point!

Absolutely correct! Hence the reason why we always say to people that you won't achieve your max power if you use 95 RON because the new parameters with full power RICA are optimised for 98, ie if you run 95 you will get knock and the ignition will retard and lose power. The higher RON allows you to run more ignition and boost.

Adam.

Ivan
Saturday 8th January 2005, 17:39
chich100, Did you just get the CHIP remap, or did you go for the "performance package"? I'm thinking of making the drive up from Southampton (VT willing and able to operate on my motor that is!) - so the more details the better.

Re: Petrol - I've been putting Optimax in for about 4-5months now. Changed to BP Ultimate last week, and it actually "feels" smoother, more powerful, and *seems* to be giving me slightly better economy?? This is all just gut feel though! why Ultimate 97, would be any better than optimax 98 I wouldn't know - and I could be mistaken.

chich100
Saturday 8th January 2005, 19:20
Ivan went for the 304 upgrade as filter is done and there not much to be gained by changing the exhaust.Ill try ultimate fuel this week as my truck runs on BP fuel card so ill put a jerry can in the back which is got to better than paying motorway prices for optimax.

DAVE 850R changed discs allround for brembo before getting upgrade used paget pads as they were what GSF were offering at the time.as far as front tyres go,i was a bit skint when i last changed them co went for Falkens and THEY HAVE TO GO!!!!

volvotuning
Sunday 9th January 2005, 13:55
chich100, Did you just get the CHIP remap, or did you go for the "performance package"? I'm thinking of making the drive up from Southampton (VT willing and able to operate on my motor that is!) - so the more details the better.

Re: Petrol - I've been putting Optimax in for about 4-5months now. Changed to BP Ultimate last week, and it actually "feels" smoother, more powerful, and *seems* to be giving me slightly better economy?? This is all just gut feel though! why Ultimate 97, would be any better than optimax 98 I wouldn't know - and I could be mistaken.

Well, Ultimate 97 could be better than Optimax 98 for the following reasons -

1. The Optimax station used was swindling you and actually had 95 in the pumps for higher profit.
2. The Optimax station had accidental wrong drops of 95 in the 98 pumps.
3. The Optimax station is not one which uses a lot of 98 so the fuel degrades over time.

Justin has made an attempt at some performance measurements with different fuel grades.

Adam.

rottertron
Sunday 9th January 2005, 14:12
How petrol RON is rated

Petrol consists of two alkane molecules, one is called octane which is made up of 8 carbon atoms in a chain. The other is called heptane which is made up of 7 carbon atoms in a chain. Different percentages of these two molecules make up petrol and the percentage of octane gives it the RON rating.

Ivan
Sunday 9th January 2005, 22:06
Ivan went for the 304 upgrade as filter is done and there not much to be gained by changing the exhaust.Ill try ultimate fuel this week as my truck runs on BP fuel card so ill put a jerry can in the back which is got to better than paying motorway prices for optimax.

DAVE 850R changed discs allround for brembo before getting upgrade used paget pads as they were what GSF were offering at the time.as far as front tyres go,i was a bit skint when i last changed them co went for Falkens and THEY HAVE TO GO!!!!
Should I only consider an exhaust change if the current one is getting a bit tired then?

Ivan
Sunday 9th January 2005, 22:11
Well, Ultimate 97 could be better than Optimax 98 for the following reasons -

1. The Optimax station used was swindling you and actually had 95 in the pumps for higher profit.
2. The Optimax station had accidental wrong drops of 95 in the 98 pumps.
3. The Optimax station is not one which uses a lot of 98 so the fuel degrades over time.

Justin has made an attempt at some performance measurements with different fuel grades.

Adam.
Thanks Adam, I hadn't realised the stuff could go off - it's likely as the forecourt is small and always seems pretty empty when I'm there (low turnover).

Justin
Sunday 9th January 2005, 23:59
I have tried all of the "super" forecourt fuels under controlled conditions as best i could.

All of them were full tanks from as near empty as possible and i reset the ecu everytime i changed fuel, i used at least 3 tanks of each to be sure..

Forget supermarket super, its ££££e....my car will not even hold 1.0 bar of boost with it in the tank.
The rest inc BP ultimate are not too good either, all of them gave poor MPG and again the car struggled to sustain 1.1 bar of boost.
The best out there and what i assertained my results on was Optimax, my car holds 1.2 bar using it and i get 3-4mpg more with it too.
The closest you can get to it is by using Esso super 97 ron, it performs exactly the same as optimax and returns the same economy, i also tried their 95 ron, the results were better than BP ultimate's 97 ron:eek:

So i personally reccomend using optimax for a remapped car, if you cannot get it then find an Esso garage, if they are out of super, fear not as i dont think the 95 ron is too bad either.

Also for those haters of super fuels, and the skin flint mincers who wont pay 4p a litre more cos "its just as quick on Sainsburys fuel", read your manuals, its clearly states that the T5 should be run on 98 ron as standard, let alone remapped.

Just my take on it ;)

lance
Monday 10th January 2005, 00:11
Mrs Mopp will be pleased to know Winnie was mainly run on esso fuel during my ownership as I always have found it good quality, and a place up the road used to sell it and now they sell expensive BP. My other local optimax is now down to 82,9 per litre which is good. Dont like the idea of having knocks and less power so havent tried any thing other than bp or shell or esso yet.

CAMO
Monday 10th January 2005, 17:53
Has Folkes Concidered Putting Octane Booster In The Tank, If You Are Struggling To Find 97/ 98 Ron Fuel. I Know When I Have Has Other Performane Cars In My Younger Days, His Made A Large Diffrerence Without Causing Damage To Your Engines!

Pedro Fandango
Monday 10th January 2005, 18:31
i ran NOS octane booster for the pod once but didn't notice any difference

chriskay
Monday 10th January 2005, 19:10
I'm struggling to find high octane fuel locally. Any advice on octane boosters?

Ivan
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 18:42
I have tried all of the "super" forecourt fuels under controlled conditions as best i could.

All of them were full tanks from as near empty as possible and i reset the ecu everytime i changed fuel, i used at least 3 tanks of each to be sure..

Forget supermarket super, its ££££e....my car will not even hold 1.0 bar of boost with it in the tank.
The rest inc BP ultimate are not too good either, all of them gave poor MPG and again the car struggled to sustain 1.1 bar of boost.
The best out there and what i assertained my results on was Optimax, my car holds 1.2 bar using it and i get 3-4mpg more with it too.
The closest you can get to it is by using Esso super 97 ron, it performs exactly the same as optimax and returns the same economy, i also tried their 95 ron, the results were better than BP ultimate's 97 ron:eek:

So i personally reccomend using optimax for a remapped car, if you cannot get it then find an Esso garage, if they are out of super, fear not as i dont think the 95 ron is too bad either.

Also for those haters of super fuels, and the skin flint mincers who wont pay 4p a litre more cos "its just as quick on Sainsburys fuel", read your manuals, its clearly states that the T5 should be run on 98 ron as standard, let alone remapped.

Just my take on it ;)
Thanks Justin, interesting stuff. I guess I'll look for fresher Optimax! I can't find anywhere cheaper than 91.9per litre round my way at the moment though :-(

(I did hear a rumour that BP Ultimate is actually refined to 97RON, where Optimax is octane boosted to 98RON - but then I woudn't know if that was a good or a bad thing! and I certainly couldn't comment on it's accuracy.)

Goof
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 19:19
i've tried all sorts-
superstore petrol = unrefined p155
non-superstore = lots better
Ultimate = plenty of oomph
Haven't tried Optimax yet, maybe I'm in for a nice suprise!
(MrsMopp - is that Shell station open yet near Mill on Soar?).

Justin
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 20:22
Yes it is mate, used it 2 weeks ago ;)

Goof
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 23:27
Great! - BIG foot time between now and Friday so I can fill her up with Opti!!

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 12th January 2005, 08:46
Great! - BIG foot time between now and Friday so I can fill her up with Opti!!

No doubt I'll be seeing you around then if your over my neck of the woods!! :wink:

x

Goof
Wednesday 12th January 2005, 17:39
I *should* see you every day - I leave home and head up the new perimeter road past the windmill pub!
To date I think I've seen you once!
You're always welcome to pop in anytime - Belle Vue Road off A47 - come and say Hi to Mrs Goof and the rest of us sometime!? - is Stamford Hall still under consideration?

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 12th January 2005, 20:49
I *should* see you every day - I leave home and head up the new perimeter road past the windmill pub!
To date I think I've seen you once!
You're always welcome to pop in anytime - Belle Vue Road off A47 - come and say Hi to Mrs Goof and the rest of us sometime!? - is Stamford Hall still under consideration?

Have you seen me driving about then?

I'd feel a bit rude just poleing up and inviting myself in for tea! but maybe one weekend when steve is up here too we can meet you you and mrs Goof and go for a drink and a natter?

Yes Stamford hall is still in consideration - I'd like to go for definate!

x

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 19th January 2005, 12:35
Goof!!!!

Wanna meet me and steve @ the pub one weekend with the Mrs?

Its funny - i didn't see you for the first few months you had the car now I have seen you twice in the last 2 weeks!! (And stop chasing other volvo's :dgrin: !!!)

x

jp850R
Wednesday 19th January 2005, 15:51
I guess I'll look for fresher Optimax! I can't find anywhere cheaper than 91.9per litre round my way at the moment though :-(

Hi Ivan i go all around southampton a lot (my girl friend works in west quay), i dont no if u actually go thru the centre much or not but there r 2 shell garages that i use 4 optimax (Shell, thomas lewis way, swathling so17 3ed)
i filled up there the other day at about 83p/L if any help. :) Dont no the address of the other 1 but its on the tripple carrageway commin from west quay past millbrook flyover just on the left dont no price tho!! possily the 1 u say bout 91.9p/L!!!!!

Dont no if this helps there is one not far from j9 m27 goin 2 fareham if u say u go there now and again! :) (quite cheap 2)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 20th January 2005, 01:35
Price of Optimax in Brum is down now to 82.9 which is good news

Ivan
Thursday 20th January 2005, 21:18
Thanks jp, prices have come down recently (thank goodness!). I know the place you mean off Thomas-Lewis way, I don't go through the city much tho - I'm on the east side so usually just jump onto the M27 at jn 8.

I'm on Esso Super at the moment. mpg is about 25.5, seems pretty good stuff.

Bracer
Friday 21st January 2005, 07:53
82.9 :eek: I just pay'd 88.9 :cry: