PDA

View Full Version : Dual mass flywheel / clutch wear symptoms?

Turbodave
Saturday 12th May 2012, 19:00
More questions...!

My daily driver (1999 V70 TDi) has always had a couple of clutch/pedal related issues which have slowly been getting worse. When I say slowly, I mean as in they were there when I bought it and now, 30,000 miles later it's happened on a more regular basis and I'm not sure what it is.

Clutch pedal...
It's rather heavy and when you press it down, it creaks like an old rusty springs being stretched. When it's pretty much nearing the floor, there's randomly a "twang" or a rather heavy clunk from down near the footwell. The bite point is fine, it just feels like the pedal is about to snap something when it's under tension.

Clutch...
This has started to happen more often, but when I pull away swiftly and especially if I've been holding the car on the clutch briefly, there will be chirp, as it takes up drive. It only happens when pulling away and there's no juddle or slip evident. Just this odd, low pitched chirp. Quite hard to explain and nor can I make it do it. it's totally random though perhaps worse if the clutch is warm. It was particulary bad when I was dragging a trailer.

Appreciate it's not a 'performance' model but perhaps somebody can offer some advice? The car's been brilliant ober the past year/30k but now needs taxed, Mot'd, two tyres, an ABS issue sorted, handbrake sorted and whatever else is found at the Mot... and I'm at the stage where I may simply not bother investing anymore time and money, especially as I'm looking for an 'R' plusd if the above is symptoms of the dual mass flywheel or the slave cylinder going, then I'd rather not spend £500 or so on tax, Mot and tyres if it's on the road out.

Any thoughts gents?

Cheers

t5 stealth
Saturday 12th May 2012, 20:24
the chirp you hear is probably the clutch release bearing,
it seems to be a common thing with this model,seen a few with same prob...mine included but it dont affect the car.
as for the pedal being heavy,stick your head under the dash and check the pedal,it may just be dry and want a squirt of wd40 or something like that,
if its seizing up where it pivots then the pedal would get heavier as time goes by.

popuptoaster
Saturday 12th May 2012, 21:34
My 940 makes a sharp "Oooh!" type groan when the clutch is engaged, I suspect thrust bearing, i'm ignoring it untill I can afford to change the whole lot for a non dual mass jobby, its been doing it for a year now. :D

Turbodave
Saturday 12th May 2012, 21:49
I've had a look around the base of the pedal and drowned it in silicone spray but it made not difference. It's not creating a probelem, just my passengers go "What to hell was that!" when it does its weird creaking followed by an almighty clunk routine. If it breaks, it breaks but given the cars age/value I'm in no rush to inbvest time on money sorting things that aren't critical. Though sods law, I'll spend a few quid getting it through it's MoT and the slave cylinder will give up or the clutch will §§§§ itself!

Mine has got slightly worse over the last 30k but it doesn't effect the way it drives so I'll continue to ignore it for the time being along with the cambelt renewal schedule!