PDA

View Full Version : wheel paint

T5Tom
Thursday 10th May 2012, 19:19
The time has come for my tritons to get a refurb, I'm going to attempt this myself so the results should be interesting lol! I couldn't manage to get all the dust off them with acid or anything like that as its way to 'in there' now and they're not the prettiest looking wheels at the moment so I'm going to shot blast the paint off and repaint them...hopefully, the edges will also need filling on some is the fronts are pretty badly kurbed. I've heard of filler primer but how effective is this?

I have an olive 850 t5 and I've seen that the grey titans look great on green, so I think I'd like to go for that colour, can anyone recommend a decent paint to use? Also does the paint have to be anything special as its on wheels which get a lot of stick?

Sort of not looking to painting the tritons as they look a paint to do but I'm hoping they'll look good when I'm done :)

Cheers
Tom

Jamest5r
Thursday 10th May 2012, 19:58
Dont now about paint etc but go for black chrome looks best on olive's :)

stevie69
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:12
the right colour is the same as that 5 wheel steel you get..

M-R-P
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:13
Filler primer won't cope with much bigger than a small stone chip mate. Kerb gouges will need to be filed to get the protruding burrs off, then filled. I used normal body filler, sanded the chips and then got busy with the filler primer. Lots of filler primer. Take your time mate It's worth it. The finish on mine is really good but the gay blue colour hasn't gone down well lol.

Harvey
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:25
Filler primer won't cope with much bigger than a small stone chip mate. Kerb gouges will need to be filed to get the protruding burrs off, then filled. I used normal body filler, sanded the chips and then got busy with the filler primer. Lots of filler primer. Take your time mate It's worth it. The finish on mine is really good but the gay blue colour hasn't gone down well lol.

Why did you use blue as its a bit odd choice.

T5Tom
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:27
Dont now about paint etc but go for black chrome looks best on olive's :)

Black chrome? Do you mean a black wheel with a chrome lip?

Oh so normal filler will do the job then? Haha mate I've not seen your 'gay' blue wheels have you got any pictures?

M-R-P
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:28
Why did you use blue as its a bit odd choice.

Lol, the tin said "silver lightning" and the cap was a nice dark silver. When i sprayed the wheels they lookes fine till I got the top coat on and it took the diffusion out and "Ping" blue in some lights :eek:

Harvey
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:30
nice basecoat then

T5Tom
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:38
the right colour is the same as that 5 wheel steel you get..

Not sure what you mean bud?

M-R-P
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:52
Here ya go...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/21289C36-orig.jpg

Filler primer does make a difference btw ;)

T5Tom
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:55
Here ya go...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/21289C36-orig.jpg

Filler primer does make a difference btw ;)

...hello sailor!

Harvey
Thursday 10th May 2012, 21:08
That not to bad ,nice finish you got,lets see what the tire fitters can do to it.

the young mechanic
Thursday 10th May 2012, 21:13
matte black

T5Tom
Thursday 10th May 2012, 21:15
Hmm not sure about matte black tritons?

the young mechanic
Thursday 10th May 2012, 21:25
Hmm not sure about matte black tritons?

you never now till you try

graemewelch
Friday 11th May 2012, 00:46
etch primmer is a must. i just paid 150 to mine powder coated. not worth the hassle for what it would of cost in materials

M-R-P
Friday 11th May 2012, 00:53
That not to bad ,nice finish you got,lets see what the tire fitters can do to it.
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/EE6F3D77-orig.jpg
pre-top coat
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/B6BD8299-orig.jpg
Bloody good finish lol.

I left the bit between the rubber and the outer part of the bead in primer, so as not to give the fitters anything to scratch ;)

matte black

Budding Chav :D Get that lad a white Addidas baseball cap!