PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump

Tommy t4
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 10:54
Just done a full rebuild, when engine starts it then cuts out running on three cylinders, (sounds like a scooby) only code cones up is lambda sensor, I had run the fuel pump dry but can still hear it prime, I know it's 45psi at fuel rail but how could I check the pumps faulty?
Cheers tom

Al115
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 11:03
Check the fuel pressure by the schrader valve on the rail when you have the symptom?

Tommy t4
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 11:05
And that's the only way to see if pumps faulty? Was looking for another way as I don't have a pressure gauge.

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 13:25
Unplug the outlet pipe work and switch it on and see if it sprays like a jet wash... If not then it might be broken... Don't light a fag whilst doing it though..

Tommy t4
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 13:30
Ok will try that then, but it primes fine just don't know if it works at right pressure, and If it won't start with fuel pipe off, will it pump at full pressure on start up? Or does it have to be running for that?

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 13:33
With out the proper gauge we'd just be guessing, but even if it just priming I would have thought is enough to run at Idle???

Maybe go back to basics..?

Al115
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 14:03
And that's the only way to see if pumps faulty? Was looking for another way as I don't have a pressure gauge.

That's the way a garage would test it. Indeed when my fuel pump was failing on my T5, that's how they DID test it.

Maybe worth 30 mins diagnosis at your local indy if they have the kit?

Tommy t4
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 14:23
Yea looks like I may have to invest in one, car won't move and driveshafts are still out.....

Al115
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 15:32
Or swap the pump for a known good one and retest? Maybe buy a Walbro instead of spending the money on testing the old one, probably better use of the cash.

Tommy t4
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 15:46
It had a walboro 255lh in already bout a yr old now, but am going to get new one neway only 60quid spose, and need a new lambda to. Think I'm going to replace all the sensors.

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 18:53
If the fuel pump is only a year old I doubt it's that. Have you got another pump you can use to test? Shame to waste £60 if it's not that. A stock T4 pump is a Walbro 190 lph pump which will flow 400odd bhp so I don't know everyone upgrades to the 255's anyway. Even a tired stock T4 pump will flow more than enough for 99% of tuned T4's.

Looking forward to seeing yours soon Tom, we should meet up again soon, there is a lad near me I met up with yesterday who has an 2.0LPT, I'm sure we talk him into getting a T4 =)

mitchyboy01
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 18:57
Just done a full rebuild, when engine starts it then cuts out running on three cylinders, (sounds like a scooby) only code cones up is lambda sensor, I had run the fuel pump dry but can still hear it prime, I know it's 45psi at fuel rail but how could I check the pumps faulty?
Cheers tom

I think I spoke to you before mate but still think it sounds like coilpack or plug/lead. Also, Have you compression tested it since the build?

Tommy t4
Tuesday 8th May 2012, 19:36
He'll have to buy one when he see ours go, this isn't the fully forge engine this is another standard t2 lump, I ran the pump dry after rebuild could hear it sucking and gurgling, the walboro pump was second hand anyway so dnt care bout that. Compressions fine mate just haven't tested fuel pressure, and have swoped coilpacks plugs and loom, have just got one code up a p0141 which is lambda. But that wouldn't make it miss surely.

The-Les
Thursday 10th May 2012, 10:10
I'm near dover and have spare pump, coils and lambda sensor. :)

Tommy t4
Saturday 12th May 2012, 10:11
I'm near dover and have spare pump, coils and lambda sensor. :)

Sweet mate I take it they are all working, I think I'm gona start with the pump as it's running now and when it's plugged in to diagnostics, it's saying the fuel pump is faulty under load, can tic over but won't supply. How much you want for the pump mate.

The-Les
Saturday 12th May 2012, 13:07
The pump was working fine when i took it out, was replaced coz I had the same problem but on mine it was the fuel pressure regulator and valve stem oil seal. Not thought about a price but open to offers if it gets you on the road.