PDA

View Full Version : how do you wash yrs.

graemewelch
Saturday 5th May 2012, 13:05
after a full corretion im becoming very cautous about how i was my car. i now jet wash it twice, then use the two bucket method using a meguires lambs wool mitt. i do a 3rd of a panel at a time befor rinsing 3 times in clean water. then on to the next 3rd. i plan to but a snow foam lance very soon. think im starting to get ocd. how do you wash yours and keep it swirl free

AndysR
Saturday 5th May 2012, 13:19
Two bucket method, lambs wool wash mit then a seperate bucket and wash mit for the wheels. Start by rinsing the car down with a hose then wash the roof and glass then the bonnet and boot then the side panels down to the trims then the lower half of the car, sills under bonnet boot and door shuts.

Kingsford G
Saturday 5th May 2012, 13:37
Two bucket method, lambs wool wash mit then a seperate bucket and wash mit for the wheels. Start by rinsing the car down with a hose then wash the roof and glass then the bonnet and boot then the side panels down to the trims then the lower half of the car, sills under bonnet boot and door shuts.

As above but u have to seal it wiv a good wax anyway `c`os just buy that methd of wash I don`t think u`ll avoid swirls for long.

volvokid
Saturday 5th May 2012, 13:57
Power wash, snow foam, power wash, snow foam, 2 bucket method for top half using mit, more snow foam, 2 bucket method lower half using different mit then rinse with open hose then spray with QD and pat dry with a waffle towel

dalhousie2008
Saturday 5th May 2012, 14:03
Arc when i can be bothered

Kingsford G
Saturday 5th May 2012, 14:04
Power wash, snow foam, power wash, snow foam, 2 bucket method for top half using mit, more snow foam, 2 bucket method using different mit then rinse with open hose then spray with QD and pat dry with a waffle towel

no wonder we got that hose ban,looks like acredit to u lot lol

volvokid
Saturday 5th May 2012, 14:05
Scotland never gets it haha :) we have a never ending supply of the stuff

robsv40
Saturday 5th May 2012, 14:27
Power wash, snow foam, power wash, snow foam, 2 bucket method for top half using mit, more snow foam, 2 bucket method lower half using different mit then rinse with open hose then spray with QD and pat dry with a waffle towel

Jesus!
Fairy liquid and cold water won't work then

Kingsford G
Saturday 5th May 2012, 14:30
Jesus!
Fairy liquid and cold water won't work then

Nah, need a bit of cif and a sugar soup lol

Rhys
Saturday 5th May 2012, 14:47
Nah, need a bit of cif and a sugar soup lol

Bit of washing up liquid on the roof and bonnet then let this drought wash it off lol

nosh
Saturday 5th May 2012, 15:27
after a full corretion im becoming very cautous about how i was my car. i now jet wash it twice, then use the two bucket method using a meguires lambs wool mitt. i do a 3rd of a panel at a time befor rinsing 3 times in clean water. then on to the next 3rd. i plan to but a snow foam lance very soon. think im starting to get ocd. how do you wash yours and keep it swirl free

SHOWROOM SHINE "yes as seen on tv" would never use anything else & it only takes 20 mins....

t5 pete
Saturday 5th May 2012, 17:03
A bucket of water with shampoo and then one of them hand thingys and one rinsed down a shamy leather

volvokid
Saturday 5th May 2012, 17:05
A bucket of water with shampoo and then one of them hand thingys and one rinsed down a shamy leather

He wants to know how to stop swirls not put them back :smlove2:

Jamest5r
Saturday 5th May 2012, 17:22
I find the best way is to sit on my ar$e light a fag and watch the local immigrants do there finest :)

t5 pete
Saturday 5th May 2012, 17:23
He wants to know how to stop swirls not put them back :smlove2:

Up to now i dont get any swirls i suppose its because i wax the car quite often

volvokid
Saturday 5th May 2012, 17:26

My R is full of them, and it stands out like a sore thumb to me under certain lights, I cant wait to detail it.

t5 pete
Saturday 5th May 2012, 17:32
lol i ant got a clue about detailing etc all i do is wash it then wax it job done i would take it to the imigrants but i dont like the pressure washers

merc85
Saturday 5th May 2012, 17:38
Be carefull with pressure washer's has it's very easy to lift the laquar from the paint work.

volvokid
Saturday 5th May 2012, 17:42
lol i ant got a clue about detailing etc all i do is wash it then wax it job done i would take it to the imigrants but i dont like the pressure washers

Dont take offence to this Pete but saffys dont show up swirls that badly but your car will be covered in swirls, you just havn't focused your eye to see them, if you did it would probably really bug you if you didn't know how to get rid of them, and its not a simple buff with some polish on a old terry towel, it takes a couple days, Wax fill the swirls a tad but not much. Tip don't go looking for them lol. And dont take it to the foreigners, do you think if they dropped there "sponge" they would go get a new one?

Kingsford G
Saturday 5th May 2012, 18:34

Once u got rid of them thats what u do.I have to say my saffy got them but she is still shiny.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 5th May 2012, 20:51
Problem with pressure washers is people to tend to use the to jet blast the dirt off the paint & the more stubborn the dirt, the closer they get with the nozzle. This tends to push some of the contaminents further into the paint. Repeated use of v high pressure is going to create swirls. Now if you aren't bother about that then fine.

I have a very small weedy pressure washer - the smallest karcher ever made.

My process is to spray bilbery wheel wash into each alloy & then snow foam the whole car as a pre-wash to soften the dirt. Usually I will then rinse that off with the pressure washer trying to always keep 2 feet away & always rinse at an angle. I sweep downwards to help gravity. BTW all my rinsing is done with 0 TDS water (because I live in a hard water area - I use a column to remove any of the calcites from the water). This is very important from anti-swirl pespective as water spots (where the calcium carbonate comes out of solution) will not help in the long run.

I wash with 2 buckets - both with grit guards using a Washmitt. I use that on the top part & a megs M/F wash mitt on the lower - as the edges tend to snag on my washmitt.

I always do the wheels last & always with different tools. Final rinse with the pressure washer & then let it dry. The advantage of the pure water rinse is that I don't get water spots. I use waffle weave drying towels & a waterblade (only on the glass) - often with a spritz of QD to help with the water dispersal.

graemewelch
Saturday 5th May 2012, 21:37
wobbly have you ever tried wolf deironizer on yr alloys. its amazing stuff. ph neutral aswell

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 5th May 2012, 21:47
Used IRON X soap - if that is what you mean?

graemewelch
Saturday 5th May 2012, 22:08
think its the same kind of gear. £10 a ltr and it left my wheels mint, spray on leave ten mins and jet wash.

Haizum74
Saturday 5th May 2012, 22:51
Used IRON X soap - if that is what you mean?

Is this it WD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG0mYehE8pQ&feature=related

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th May 2012, 00:30
Yeah that's the spray on stuff. There is also the iron x soap which is like a gel. I use to remove really the stubborn burnt-on dust. Not common on Betty's but occasionally useful especially when cleaning friends cars

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 6th May 2012, 00:40
Anyone able to polish swirls out of a windscreen?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th May 2012, 00:42
Yep

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 6th May 2012, 00:43
Well the green one looks like it has been cleaned with a Brillo pad.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 6th May 2012, 00:46
You'll ave to wait till August

Caspa-Don
Sunday 6th May 2012, 11:50
I find the best way is to sit on my ar$e light a fag and watch the local immigrants do there finest :)

Ahh... your funny Jamest5r....

Caspa-Don
Sunday 6th May 2012, 12:12
Dont take offence to this Pete but saffys dont show up swirls that badly but your car will be covered in swirls, you just havn't focused your eye to see them, if you did it would probably really bug you if you didn't know how to get rid of them, and its not a simple buff with some polish on a old terry towel, it takes a couple days, Wax fill the swirls a tad but not much. Tip don't go looking for them lol. And dont take it to the foreigners, do you think if they dropped there "sponge" they would go get a new one?

I've hear that the clay treatment is good for this issue of swirling... I've yet to try this on my cars as my cars (Black C70 t5 & Black Met S80 2.4t) and the wife's (Nautic Blue Met S80 2.4) suffer from this badly... my cars have been schedule to have it done in the next couple of weeks... I've also heard (I hear a lot!!!) that those car valeters that you find all over the place these day, use chemicals that will kill your car's bodywork finish very quick.... my standard is... if I don't know what your using... it ain't going nowhere my car...

bubba_1986
Sunday 6th May 2012, 12:16
I've hear that the clay treatment is good for this issue of swirling... I've yet to try this on my cars as my cars (Black C70 t5 & Black Met S80 2.4t) and the wife's (Nautic Blue Met S80 2.4) suffer from this badly... my cars have been schedule to have it done in the next couple of weeks... I've also heard (I hear a lot!!!) that those car valeters that you find all over the place these day, use chemicals that will kill your car's bodywork finish very quick.... my standard is... if I don't know what your using... it ain't going nowhere my car...

The clay barring gets rid of surface contaminates, such as tree sap, tar etc. It is used to give the smoothest surface possible to start detailing on. It does not reduce swirls, as the "swirls" are actually within the top lacquer layer or the paintwork, hence u need to bring the layer down to " get rid of them "

Kingsford G
Sunday 6th May 2012, 12:25

Well my big eared friend,clay cleans yr paint from contaminatsa as far as I know then depending on how bad it is u use a compound of yr choice or a new ish Mag swirl remover (got 1 but haven`t tried yet),good polish and best wax job done.I`d say do it yrself and get some experience rather than like Jamest5r lazy git watchnig others to add more swirls to yr paint lol

Rhys
Sunday 6th May 2012, 12:50
I've got access to a pressure washer and it has a spray attachment withthe bottle underneath..
http://www.cleanstore.co.uk/images/large/4591a.JPG

Can anyone suggest some stuff to put in it and how much do you use?
I have some car shampoo which I usually put a couple of capfulls to a bucket.
Cheers (black cars are a §§§§§§ to keep clean, especially in the stix)

volvokid
Sunday 6th May 2012, 12:58
Claying wont get rid off swirls as bubba says, It only removes the contaminants in preparation for polishing (swirl removing), this is a necessary step because if you dont remove them and start polishing you are simply rubbing all the contaminants back into your paint and this will actually put more marks into your paint.
As for claying it is good but there are other options out there, tardis and iron x, claying WILL mar your paint to some degree but I cant Imagen why you would do this process and not paint correct your panels afterwards. Tardis and iron x require far less paint contact and will reduce marring, so once you have detailed your car these are the 2 products that I would recommend for any fall out that is stuck to your paint, but you will need to reseal your paint after using them as they will strip your wax.
To stop adding swirls to your corrected body work you need to try and keep paint contact to a minimum, easier said than done but thats the only way.

volvokid
Sunday 6th May 2012, 12:59
I've got access to a pressure washer and it has a spray attachment withthe bottle underneath..
http://www.cleanstore.co.uk/images/large/4591a.JPG

Can anyone suggest some stuff to put in it and how much do you use?
I have some car shampoo which I usually put a couple of capfulls to a bucket.
Cheers (black cars are a §§§§§§ to keep clean, especially in the stix)

Megs hyper wash but you wont get the foaming action like you would with a foam lance

Wobbly Dave
Monday 7th May 2012, 01:09
Foam lances are not too expensive

Jimmie
Monday 7th May 2012, 09:11
Foam lances are not too expensive

If you only paid £70/£100 as thats all you could afford for your washer then £40/£50 is quite a lot.But they are an essential bit of kit if your into detailing though.
Im not into detailing myself as they just get dirty again in this country.
I do know someone that i can get to do it though if they are in the mood.:wink::remybussi

Tiny
Monday 21st May 2012, 09:34
Snow foam, jet, 2 bucket method with noodle microfibre wash mitt and Chemical Guys Glossworkz shampoo. Rinse, then pat try with Chemical Guys Wooly Mammoth Drying Towel.

I corrected the paint myself about 6 weeks ago, so its swirl free and just need to keep it that way now.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st May 2012, 12:33
Has anyone tested their water yet for dissolved solids?

volvokid
Monday 21st May 2012, 12:44
How do you do that Dave

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st May 2012, 13:00
With a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter. This is only important for hardwater areas - which is why I use a de-ionising column (11 ltrs) - like a very big Britta filter - for my rinse water. This is the only way I can prevent the dissolved carbonate coming out of solution causing water marks, & subsequent swirls from trying to remove them.

http://www.tdsmeter.co.uk/

this is the one I have...

http://www.tdsmeter.co.uk/products/tds3.html

If you are lucky enough to live in a soft water area (less than 50ppm TDS) then it is something you will never have to worry about.

The column is not cheap & you have to replace the gel once it gets saturated. My car gets washed in purer water than I drink. How sad is that.

bubba_1986
Monday 21st May 2012, 13:02
I can vouch for the §§§§ty tasting water lol

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st May 2012, 13:05
It comes out of our cold tap at a staggering 275ppm - it tastes quite metallic. Britta filter (a new one) reduces it to 200.

bubba_1986
Monday 21st May 2012, 13:09
aye and takes ages to filter through, i hardly drank any water last week due to that. Would find it hard to live with that.You get my pm ?

merc85
Monday 21st May 2012, 13:13
Hose it, Wash n Wax and sponge, leather it, short drive then leather,

Polish, then wax.

v70tom
Wednesday 2nd January 2013, 11:56
Hosepipe, wet down get rid of mug,
Bucket with car wash , washing up liquid, window cleaner,
Rins good up, again hosepipe, cold water just out the tap,
Dry it up, wait an hour or so,
Polish it complete,
Wait another half hour
Then wax it.
I use one off them buffers after that for the big areas and soft cloth for the corners,
If necessary go over missed bits and areas with a soft cloth as well.
Looks ok until going out on the roads again. Lol

Al in all takes a Saturday or Sunday ( up to 3 hours ) .
In between I do the bike and sometimes her v40 if she nags at me. Lol

jotter22
Saturday 12th January 2013, 17:55
Start with ultimate snow foam then rinse,
Then Farecla g3 Detox shampoo 1 panel at a time rinse,
clay if needed,
AG super resin polish,
Megs gold class wax.
And i have ordered a dodo juice Buff daddy DA polisher today mainly for waxing but possible paint correction too

Tony.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 12th January 2013, 22:22
Start with ultimate snow foam then rinse,
Then Farecla g3 Detox shampoo 1 panel at a time rinse,
clay if needed,
AG super resin polish,
Megs gold class wax.
And i have ordered a dodo juice Buff daddy DA polisher today mainly for waxing but possible paint correction too

Tony.

Looking lush - really good depth

The White Knight
Monday 14th January 2013, 17:27
I swear by the autobrite hd snow foam lance....

Wobbly Dave
Monday 14th January 2013, 20:04
the autobrite is a very good snow foam. I get the same stuff from CYC (http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk)

Saaamon
Tuesday 15th January 2013, 22:16
Fairy liquid and sponge, wash all over, hose off then leave dry in sun.

The White Knight
Sunday 20th January 2013, 18:31
I hope the lance lasts, I bought it in the group buy on detailing world after getting through two lances from polished bliss :-(

volvokid
Sunday 20th January 2013, 20:12
I've never had a problem with my lance, I can't see what can go wrong with them?

The White Knight
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 13:12
I've never had a problem with my lance, I can't see what can go wrong with them?

It's bizarre, they just stopped producing thick foam. I stripped them apart and put them back together with ptfe tape with no joy.

Fingers crossed this Autobrite one lasts....

volvokid
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 16:22
Did pb help you out any since they sold it to u?

The White Knight
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 16:34
Did pb help you out any since they sold it to u?

To be honest I didn't even ask them, although those guys are always very helpful.

I think it's because I didn't used to wash the lance through with water after use

volvokid
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 19:35
I never wash it through, what product do u use

claymore
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 20:23
It doesn't matter if mine is dirty or clean, it gets put through the car wash every year regardless.

LiamT4
Tuesday 22nd January 2013, 22:03
In this weather i just put it through a car wash, it does the underside as well.

The White Knight
Wednesday 23rd January 2013, 14:06
I never wash it through, what product do u use

I was using megs hyperwash, but have since switched to autobrite magifoam - goes on nice and thick!