PDA

View Full Version : Forged rods and boost question

Dave86
Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 19:32
I will be getting a set of forged rods for my t5 engine and i know that bringing high boost in at low revs on standard rods bends them but how soon can i bring the boost in with forged ones?
and by high boost i mean around 1.5bar and as for early i mean around 2k revs

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 19:34
sorry to say mate on forged rods you can only run 0.5 bar and you better leave it until 5900 rpm just to be on the safe side ;) i could be wrong but i doubt it :D

t5 pete
Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 19:37
sorry to say mate on forged rods you can only run 0.5 bar and you better leave it until 5900 rpm just to be on the safe side ;) i could be wrong but i doubt it :D

lol thats totally lost me.
With having forged rods you will be able to have a much more aggressive map bringing in the boost alot sooner

Dave86
Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 19:44

oh dear that's no good i best abandon my project lol

mitchyboy01
Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 20:06
Bring in mega boost whenever you like, the joy of forged rods.

T5frankie
Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 20:26
lol thats totally lost me.
With having forged rods you will be able to have a much more aggressive map bringing in the boost alot sooner

it's called sarcasm pete lol

t5 pete
Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 20:38
Well its a good job weve got you frank to let me know

T5frankie
Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 20:40
Well its a good job weve got you frank to let me know

it's my job to point out the obvious pete you know that lol

t5 pete
Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 20:41
lol

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 22:02
oh dear that's no good i best abandon my project lol

i would mate,like i said before its really not worth it!! not that im jealous or anything :cussing:

Dave86
Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 22:08
i would mate,like i said before its really not worth it!! not that im jealous or anything :cussing:

lol

Dave86
Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 22:11
Bring in mega boost whenever you like, the joy of forged rods.

Cheers that's just what i wanted to hear :)

glock19
Friday 4th May 2012, 02:27
Even with forged rods, you can't bring in the boost too early. There are other weakness in the crank shaft and pistons and if the rods don't get bent/break, any detonation (due to high boost, low rev) will destroy the crank. Most engines (Volvo, Subaru, Evo, etc) have a tendency to knock at the 2800~3600 region and this is where the boost have to be kept in check or you can lower the ignition timing instead.

smithy
Friday 4th May 2012, 16:42
Even with forged rods, you can't bring in the boost too early. There are other weakness in the crank shaft and pistons and if the rods don't get bent/break, any detonation (due to high boost, low rev) will destroy the crank. Most engines (Volvo, Subaru, Evo, etc) have a tendency to knock at the 2800~3600 region and this is where the boost have to be kept in check or you can lower the ignition timing instead.

you wont bend a redblock crank lol

Kingsford G
Friday 4th May 2012, 16:52

Didn`t know that.So u bringing yr 940 to essex meet?

t5 pete
Friday 4th May 2012, 16:55

That only because the car will take 20+ years to be finished lol
couldnt resist

Dangerous Dave
Friday 4th May 2012, 17:34
Did someone say Redblock?

mitchyboy01
Friday 4th May 2012, 17:51

Yes, so basically if it's mapped correctly you can have as much boost as you like as low down as you like.

oblark
Friday 4th May 2012, 18:38
If the compression ratio is lowered then can high boost pressures be run ?

Rob

smithy
Saturday 5th May 2012, 10:48
If the compression ratio is lowered then can high boost pressures be run ?

Rob

i have 7.8 crompression ratio lol

smithy
Saturday 5th May 2012, 10:49
Did someone say Redblock?

yes mate but you dont need to worry about boost lol.

smithy
Saturday 5th May 2012, 10:51
Didn`t know that.So u bringing yr 940 to essex meet?

the car wont be finished for the next meet mate but i will make one very soon though welcome to morgage payments stopping me from getting the car finished

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 5th May 2012, 13:19
yes mate but you dont need to worry about boost lol.
I'm all sad now :(

Cheeky git LOL