PDA

View Full Version : Volvo 850 brake conversion

Murphy
Tuesday 4th January 2005, 16:07
I was surfing around looking for something appropriate. Came up with a brembo conversion

Volvo 850 94-96

320x28 with 17" wheel

£1,220.00 + VAT + fitting.

So it is an expensive buy, however a group buy may help ???

Any interest ?

(http://www.m-p-c.demon.co.uk/mpcreddot.html)

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 4th January 2005, 16:09
OUCH!!!!!!!

x

855t5r
Tuesday 4th January 2005, 16:25
You can go AP for £1240 plus VAT!

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 4th January 2005, 16:28
the AP racing converstion used to be £1500 :eek:

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 4th January 2005, 16:30
OUCH again! you people have more money than sense lol

x

Murphy
Tuesday 4th January 2005, 17:15
I have no brakes to speak of, so i would say despite the cost it could be the best thing i could do to the car !

855t5r
Tuesday 4th January 2005, 17:26
I agree, the brakes on the T5s are appalling and I think £1500 is a small price to pay for safety!

My moto is 'If youve got a 10 dollar head then buy a 10 dollar helmet'

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 4th January 2005, 17:35
My moto is 'If youve got a 10 dollar head then buy a 10 dollar helmet'

You paid just 10 dollars for your head???? :eek: That explains a lot :wink:

x

855t5r
Tuesday 4th January 2005, 18:05
You paid just 10 dollars for your head???? :eek: That explains a lot :wink:

x

no it came free with my body (I think it was on a special offer!)

hamish
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 00:51
Hi,
I think you need a cost effective brake upgrade !!! My's quicker than most ( isn't it justin) and i haven't spent anything like that on the brakes ! £250 is all you need to spend on brakes that will terrify a subaru!! If you don't believe me me give me a call at volvo tuning !

Regards,
Hamish.

lance
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 11:02
I can vouch for good stoping power too since upgrade

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 11:18
Whats wrong with the standard brakes then?

x

volvotuning
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 11:56
Whats wrong with the standard brakes then?

x

Nothing. But it does depend on driving style, and the types of roads you drive on when pushing the car hard.

Adam.

Murphy
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 12:00
My set up is pretty s**t, but auto's need the brakes so much more and the uprated brakes is an econamical option - i will take that as the first step and see how i go on !

Edited by J, NO BAD LANGUAGE PLEASE !

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 12:40
Nothing. But it does depend on driving style, and the types of roads you drive on when pushing the car hard.

Adam.

Mine seem to work ok and I drive on all types of road, seems like a gimmick to me. I can understand Auto's uprating their brakes but I can think of better things to spend £1500 on.

x

adamt5r
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 13:00
£250!!!!! so wot have you done then??? braided hoses, pads and fluid??? please tell more as stopping would really help out......;-)

wright_t5
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 13:08
Hi,

Just upgraded mine to EBC turbo discs, red stuff pads, now they stop yah quick, the hotter the pads/discs get the better yah stop... and it was a lot lot less than £1000..... only £260... unless of course you have loads a money to spend, then go for it.... me I like small budgets... Umm, that's why I only do 20 MPG :eek: well 22 if I am careful.... :) but it's 20 most of the time!!

lance
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 13:41
I think the standard brakes find there limit when pushing really hard ie 100- 0 regularly ie fast stop starts big roads with loads of roundabout and no traffic.

Murphy
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 14:30
Hi,

Just upgraded mine to EBC turbo discs, red stuff pads, now they stop yah quick, the hotter the pads/discs get the better yah stop... and it was a lot lot less than £1000..... only £260... unless of course you have loads a money to spend, then go for it.... me I like small budgets... Umm, that's why I only do 20 MPG :eek: well 22 if I am careful.... :) but it's 20 most of the time!!

That is a shame. I have the same set up and they are utter ££££e. All warped and heat marks all over them, only 4-5k on them and they are scrap. if it wasn't for my lack of £££ they would have been long gone by now !!!!

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/rwyb_aug_04/wonderous_wheels.jpg

lance
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 14:47
get youselves to Vt for some brembo discs and ferrado pads they may not look as nice as yours Murphy but ive found them good and they have been tried and tested by many others.

Pedro Fandango
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 14:58
my EBC turbo grooves are ready for the bin aswell, got faint cracking on the discs

wright_t5
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 14:58
Umm, that's interesting, cos I have already had a new set replaced under warranty... cos they were shaking..... the new ones seem ok (most of the time) but time will tell...

Pedro Fandango
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 15:02
i had the OE spec EBC's fitted at first but they warped & the pads fell to pieces, convinced the shop to upgrade me to turbogroove & greenstuff pads when they replaced them under warranty.

Fancy going upto 302's next time i change my brakes anyway

wright_t5
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 15:03
I agree with Lance, the standard brakes give up when you really don't need them to, I was always running out of road into round-abouts, and when trying to stop hard, others could out-brake me all the time, the EBC have cured that bit, but I think they will not last.... so it might be time for a saving spree....... :eek:

855t5r
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 15:28
Ive got titatnium compound crossdrilled and grooved front discs and originally they had Mintex fast road pads on them. Initial bite was good but the fade was quite frightening sometimes especially if you were coming upto a roundabout quickly!

The mintex pads didnt last 5000miles and ive now got OE Volvo ones fitted until a lovely set of APs find thier way onto the front!

Im amazed that some people actually think that the standard set up is OK!

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 15:38
I find the standard set up fine tbh. I overcome the hair raising moments coming up to roundabouts and the like by applying my brakes before I hit the island - problem solved see! LOL

x

wright_t5
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 16:16
Umm,

Now I run 17's I could go bigger too.... means I won't have the 16's as me Pod wheels.... :eek:

Bracer
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 16:17
I will soon be able to supply the new mounting bracket required to fit the 302mm disc's :wink:

Pedro Fandango
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 16:26
I will soon be able to supply the new mounting bracket required to fit the 302mm disc's :wink:
i'll be interested in a pair aslong as the price & quality is ok :wink:

Bracer
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 16:28
i'll be interested in a pair aslong as the price & quality is ok :wink:

Have no fear Bracer is here :wink:

:bow_kneel

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 16:32
Have no fear Bracer is here :wink:

:bow_kneel

Be afraid! be VERY afraid!!! LOL

Just kidding babe!! Love ya really!

x

Bracer
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 16:40
Be afraid! be VERY afraid!!! LOL

Just kidding babe!! Love ya really!

x

And I was going to give all the Moderators a free pair, but you've gone and spoilt it for the rest of the team now :rolleyes:

Unless you can think of a very good way of saying sorry :wink:

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 16:41
And I was going to give all the Moderators a free pair, but you've gone and spoilt it for the rest of the team now :rolleyes:

Unless you can think of a very good way of saying sorry :wink:

LOL! Opps! I'll make my offer on msn!!! :wink:

x

Bracer
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 16:43
LOL! Opps! I'll make my offer on msn!!! :wink:

x

Its probably best, so not to offend anyone with a nervous disposition :hidesbehi

Justin
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 18:50
Ok, i get sick of hearing this, "standard brakes are pants" nonsence....When your car left the factory those brakes were awesome, hardly any fade and real tight, but after 1**+ miles things get left deserted, ie, bang some cheap pads in and that will do, same with disks. The police complained to Volvo regarding them fading on later 850's and so the 302mm disk was introduced, after that the old bill never mentioned it again.

Now i drive fast, and i mean fast....but i dont ever drive mine as hard as the plod do and if its good enough for them its ok with me.

Point being the standard setup is fine as long as they are all in good order, but you DO NOT need £1500 worth of AP kit to have good brakes, its a waste of money, infact they are illegal due to them being race brakes, if you want a good setup buy Brembo disks and Ferodo DS2500 pads, they will cost you about £250 inc fitting and you'll go through the dam windscreen, believe me.

The money you have left is a bonus ;)

mac855t5r
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 20:27
Justin.

Interestin that you think the AP's are illegal...! Perhaps you should inform AP of your findings... i'm sure they'd be glad that you did......

THEY ARE NOT 'RACE' BRAKES - THEY ARE NOT ILLEGAL.

Oh, and the best money i've spent on the ovlov. All the other setups i've experienced don't even come close. Feel... Power... NO FADE... over and over and over.

Brembo didn't have a great rep for quality control... lots of warped discs out of the box, annealing probs (causes cracking). Maybe things have changed.

As for standard, the plod always complained about the brakes in the 850, whatever disks were fitted. Took a mate from S.Wales traffic out in mine on some twisty highlands roads just after i'd fitted the AP's and he couldn't believe it... 17000 miles later, pads still good, still stops like a good un.

Murphy
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 20:36
Well - maybe not such a bad idea after all :)

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 20:40
What a load of TOSH! If you have £1500 to pish into the wind (which effectively is what you are doing as you will never get any return for your money) then waste it on pretty brakes. If you learnt to drive your car effectively then you would find the standard brakes do their job very well indeed.

I paid 2.5k for my car - It just isn't rational to spend over half of the value of my car on fancy brakes when the originals do the job well.

x

Tomcat
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 20:56
I've already got 302's so I don't need em :dgrin:

I'm running motorfactors brake pads and replacement discs all around and don't have a problem. Then again I can't drive around like a loonatic with my 5 year old daughter in the back now can I?.....

855t5r
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 20:59
What a load of TOSH! If you have £1500 to pish into the wind (which effectively is what you are doing as you will never get any return for your money) then waste it on pretty brakes. If you learnt to drive your car effectively then you would find the standard brakes do their job very well indeed.

I paid 2.5k for my car - It just isn't rational to spend over half of the value of my car on fancy brakes when the originals do the job well.

x

Maybe ive got too much money to spend......eh?

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 21:03
Maybe ive got too much money to spend......eh?

Your excused - you cant help being all posh and loaded and stuff! LOL :wink:

x

Murphy
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 21:53
I think the idea goes beyond the initial monetry cost, and certainly doesn't involve factors relating how good you are or not at driving.

The bottom line is, these brakes are better than standard. Take it or leave it. It may not be economical, but the facts are clear.

855t5r
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:27
I think the idea goes beyond the initial monetry cost, and certainly doesn't involve factors relating how good you are or not at driving.

The bottom line is, these brakes are better than standard. Take it or leave it. It may not be economical, but the facts are clear.

Couldnt have said it better myself! :)

Justin
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:32
True, but only after you have driven 3 miles to warm then up, maybe it was just the car i went in with then, but if they are all like that then they ARE illegal, your insurance is invalid. Fact!!!

I aint gonna argue with anyone, the brakes on a T5 are good, not excellent but theres nothing wrong with them, and the police were more than satisfied with the 302mm disks and uprated police spec pads. Fact!!!!
So to conclude, if you have more cash than the tsunami appeal to spend, either, spread the wealth or go and buy brakes that you dont need.

855t5r
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:35
True, but only after you have driven 3 miles to warm then up, maybe it was just the car i went in with then, but if they are all like that then they ARE illegal, your insurance is invalid. Fact!!!

Surely thats down to the pad compound?

Justin
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:43
Yes which is a characteristic of RACE PADS ;)

855t5r
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:44
On the subject of Police cars and brakes, did you ever see the episode of that TV program with the Sheffield traffic police where a Police V70T5 was responding to a call and was tanking up a motorway slip road and a lorry didnt see him and was pulling out to turn right?

The Police car couldnt brake enough (although he was already on the brakes as he was approaching the junction) to avoid hitting the back of the lorry!!!

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:46
On the subject of Police cars and brakes, did you ever see the episode of that TV program with the Sheffield traffic police where a Police V70T5 was responding to a call and was tanking up a motorway slip road and a lorry didnt see him and was pulling out to turn right?

The Police car couldnt brake enough (although he was already on the brakes as he was approaching the junction) to avoid hitting the back of the lorry!!!

Thats one police car out of many others and whose to say he wasn't due for a change of brakes?

x

855t5r
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:46
Yes which is a characteristic of RACE PADS ;)

Not trying to be pedantic Justin, but arent DS2500 pads race pads?

as it says in Ferodos bumf 'Developed for light inertia race cars' ;)

Justin
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:47
Or a poor example of a response driver ??

I didnt see it but accidents happen to us all, especially the plod flying around after criminals...

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:48
Not trying to be pedantic Justin, but arent DS2500 pads race pads?

as it says in Ferodos bumf 'Developed for light inertia race cars' ;)

Key word - developed :wink: .

x

Justin
Thats not pedantic mate, yes thats right, but there are huge differences mate in the designs, ie, Ferordo's dont take time to warm up to be effective, they just are constantly.

855t5r
Or a poor example of a response driver ??

I didnt see it but accidents happen to us all, especially the plod flying around after criminals...

Hed have been fine if he was running a lovely warmed up set of APs ;) ;) ;)

rottertron
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:50
If your brakes dont stop you in time you can always use an airbag!!!

Or you could always use a traffic light which I saw one bloke used on Xmas day morning!!!

Justin
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:51
There is no way of knowing what state the brakes on the car were in though, so he may have been fine if he had new brakes, or he wasnt picking his nose, or....... its endless, and way off topic now.

855t5r
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:53
Oh! I give up!

Hows this then? If I buy a set of APs (through my company so im not really paying for them) and get Ferodo pads in them can I play?

Cos I think you are all ganging up on me now (and I need Murph to make it even???)

:)

Justin
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:55
No one is ganging up, its down to preference, your choice after all.

And you are retaliating to be fair so what did you expect, everyone just agree with you lol ??

If you want them, go get em, but IMO they are a waste of money because you can have the same ability with Ferodo.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:56
Oh! I give up!

Hows this then? If I buy a set of APs (through my company so im not really paying for them) and get Ferodo pads in them can I play?

Cos I think you are all ganging up on me now (and I need Murph to make it even???)

:)

LMSO!!!! We ARE ganging up on you Hun! Your not paranoid! :wink:

I'm right your wrong - womans perogative!

x

855t5r
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 22:58
No one is ganging up, its down to preference, your choice after all.

And you are retaliating to be fair so what did you expect, everyone just agree with you lol ??

If you want them, go get em, but IMO they are a waste of money because you can have the same ability with Ferodo.

Christ! I was only jesting!

Ill leave you to it then!

Night

Justin
Wednesday 5th January 2005, 23:01
:wtf: Ahh come on spoil sport .......

Bracer
Thursday 6th January 2005, 09:52
Morning peeps, that was a frantic little discussion you lot had there for a while.

Can I just add that your ability to stop is only as good as the weakest link.

I.e. if your tyres are poo but you have cracking AP set-up then your just gonna run into your ABS and that will take longer to stop than if you had good boots and stock brakes and the ABS wasn't kicking in.

I'm one of the very few peeps that find the stock stoppers fine and I've never touched the front set-up in over 2 years and dont even know what’s in there, as for the back I overhauled that a month or so ago.

But to put this into context I've had a car with 325mm discs and race hats coupled with Willwood 4 pot Superlites so am used to great stopping power, and the Volvo does just fine.

If you have poor brakes

1) An overhaul consisting of New Discs / Pads and Fluid you may need.

2) An AP or other Big Brake Kits you most defiantly dont !

Regards

Steve
(Performance Guru)

:wink:

Murphy
Thursday 6th January 2005, 09:54
What have i missed ?!?!?

Bracer
Thursday 6th January 2005, 10:05
My Ex Stoppers

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/710000-710999/710474_22_full.jpg

:wink:

volvotuning
Thursday 6th January 2005, 14:35
Well said Bracer!!!!

And just to add to that, the other weak link in the braking is the SUSPENSION!!! If your suspension is old and crap and tired, your brakes will be no where near as effective as they should be. So that needs to be fixed first.

Adam.

lance
Thursday 6th January 2005, 14:50
Yeah think my suspension will need doing before the years out ! But im waiting cos everytime i buy somthing for her theres a special offer the following month that I just miss out on :shifty:

mac855t5r
Thursday 6th January 2005, 19:09
horses for courses. I spent the money I had on stopping and handling... Using a harder compound pad, big cast iron disc = long, dependable life, not a brake-dust hell... My reply was to an ill informed view on the legality of AP brakes.
I may have spent 'too much' in your opinion, but not in mine.

Running 'Volvo Sports Pack' Adjustable Ohlins... They do the job, just as Ohlins have every time I've used them... Bikes, Rally cars, Off road, even drag racing.. and no, they don't cost what 'people' say they do. They took the car down just a tad more and on Michi's, my god, what a joy.

300+ bhp in a FWD..... no thanks.

Justin
Thursday 6th January 2005, 19:29
Thought you were only jesting Mac ?????

No one is having a dig at you personally mate, just the majority of us dont seem to warrant those brakes.

Cheer up ffs :)

855t5r
Thursday 6th January 2005, 20:34
horses for courses. I spent the money I had on stopping and handling... Using a harder compound pad, big cast iron disc = long, dependable life, not a brake-dust hell... My reply was to an ill informed view on the legality of AP brakes.
I may have spent 'too much' in your opinion, but not in mine.

Running 'Volvo Sports Pack' Adjustable Ohlins... They do the job, just as Ohlins have every time I've used them... Bikes, Rally cars, Off road, even drag racing.. and no, they don't cost what 'people' say they do. They took the car down just a tad more and on Michi's, my god, what a joy.

300+ bhp in a FWD..... no thanks.

Maybe its just a T5R owners thing ;)

In fact I might get some APs for the rear too :)

Bracer
Friday 7th January 2005, 09:30
LMAO @ you BB Boys :anmflower

hamish
Friday 7th January 2005, 20:13
Just thouht I'd pipe up. We've got the hangers on the shelf if you want to move up to the 302mm discs. You will also need some slightly longer front brake hoses which we keep in S/S Braided and are less than Volvo's,

Call me at volvotuninguk.com

Hamish.

Bracer
Monday 10th January 2005, 10:24
Just thouht I'd pipe up. We've got the hangers on the shelf if you want to move up to the 302mm discs. You will also need some slightly longer front brake hoses which we keep in S/S Braided and are less than Volvo's,

Call me at volvotuninguk.com

Hamish.

O sorry you guys I didn't realise you already had this covered !

Hamish the only reason why I was gonna offer this was because I'm going up to the 302's soon and wasn't going to pay the silly dealer price for them and was going to Machine my own.

Maybe you could PM me some prices and I'll see if it would be just as cheep for me to get the bits from your self ?

Thanks

Steve :wink: