PDA

View Full Version : ME7 engine strip questions

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 28th April 2012, 22:31
I've started the strip down of the ME7 engine. I am a struggling a bit with the cam cover.

Just 2 things - the exhaust cam sprocket has a T50 cover - under that there is another T50 bolt. I've put a screwdriver through the sprocket to stop it rotating - but I cannot get it loose?

Anyone removed it before?

Next thing - getting the cover off - do the torx bolts near the coil pack holes need to be un-done too?

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 28th April 2012, 23:30
No-one?? :cry:

Volvostorm
Saturday 28th April 2012, 23:39
Got a picture of said sprocket?

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 28th April 2012, 23:51
Will post some in the light tomorrow - probably just me being overly cautious.

burnout8488
Sunday 29th April 2012, 05:49
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c20/burnout8488/7b266fc2.jpg

I believe it's a T55, T50 probably fits initially but it might slip once you really get the torque on it!

burnout8488
Sunday 29th April 2012, 05:54
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c20/burnout8488/CAMTOOLINSTRUCTIONS001.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380422749039?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2939wt_940

If shipping wasn't $87 USD I'd sell my tool set to you after I'm done!

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 29th April 2012, 12:57
I will double check that - but I take it then it is just a case of giving it some force?

I will probably buy the S60 manual anyway - just the removal is not listed in my x70 haynes.

That is exactly the issue I am facing.

To remove the cover do you need to remove the 20 or so torx bolts on the inside portion of the cover?

t5 pete
Sunday 29th April 2012, 13:14
How come your taking the pullys of the cams dave

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 29th April 2012, 13:18
I am not sure it is necessary - I am just following what it said in Haynes book of destruction. I also phoned a friend. If I can leave them in place & split the cam cover then all will be well.

The main objective is to get the head off. I have the cleaning tank all set up. I wasn't looking to do that much with the head anyway.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 29th April 2012, 13:21
The other reason for getting the head off - I can't lift the engine onto the stand on my own.

shepbomb
Sunday 29th April 2012, 13:51
Have you had a look at VADIS

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 29th April 2012, 14:25
Erm nope - because I don't have a copy of it.

burnout8488
Sunday 29th April 2012, 17:31
The reason for the cam locking tools is to keep the cams with the top half of the cam cover. If you remove the cover and the cams are at any sort of angle, you will crack the cam journals in the head. This just happened to a member on SwedeSpeed.com forums a few months ago.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k628/brankool/DSC_1480.jpg

Since the valve springs are always pushing up on the cams, there is a very uneven force being applied to them. Using the Volvo tools keep the cams attached to the cam cover when you finally lift it off (there's some special brackets in it).

And yes, there are 43 bolts up top you need to remove if I remember correctly!

With all that said..... I was able to remove the cover by using my father as help. We both put on gloves and held the cams as tight as possible to the upper cam cover before gently tapping the cover off. It came off straight and no cracking! But, I'm going to need the tools to install the camshafts, so I had to pick them up.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 29th April 2012, 20:56
Bought the S60 manual & a rubber mallet - TBH it's all for the scrapheap now - even if I had read the post above. I don't know if I have managed to combine the ultimate cocktail of stupidity, impatience or incompetence.

I spent quite some time creating a steel tool to hold the flywheel end of the crank in place - but I couldn't get the crank pulley nut to come loose. Not easy on yr own. I tied the engine down braced it against the shed door frame - but it wouldn't budge. So I gave up on that.

I did take off the VVT pulley with the T55 socket - I have no idea why other than that's what it said to do in the Haynes manual.

Worst of all is when trying to brace the engine and undo the head bolt I didn't realise the socket wasnt quite on properly - so I have an attrition rate of 50% of rounded-off headbolts & no idea what to do next.

This isn't the first time I have take a cylinder head off - admittedly it's been 10 years or so since I last did. I think the major issue is the other time the engine was attached some to a car!

FFS I've only had this engine a week. Going off now to sulk. No doubt Hamish will be ringing me up to congratulate me on my efforts.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 29th April 2012, 20:58
ps I'd pay the shipping costs for the tool if you wanted to sell it.

p fandango
Sunday 29th April 2012, 21:11
I couldn't get the crank pulley nut to come loose. Not easy on yr own
the trick to the crank pulley nut is giving it a sudden jolt. When i tried it by hand with a ratchet it just turned the engine over. Instead i used a £10 12volt impact driver & came off easily

t5 pete
Sunday 29th April 2012, 21:16
Quite true what burn out has said but if your care full and undew the rocker bolts even and then lift the rocker cover off square that in the pic wont happen it just as he says when either one side has been undone un-equal to the other or when some one lifts the rocker cover at just one end it tends to snap/fracture worst case it just buy another rocker cover

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 29th April 2012, 21:23
I will look at the cover & see if there is any damage.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 29th April 2012, 21:49
I am hoping to use an undersize imperial socket to make good on the 5 rounded head bolts?

Whaddaya think?

t5 pete
Sunday 29th April 2012, 21:56
Yep just make sure to knock the socket on square

burnout8488
Sunday 29th April 2012, 22:06
Behind where the starter motor sits is a hex plug. Remove the plug, stick a screwdriver in, then turn the crankshaft counter clockwise until it stops. This will stop it from turning.

The crank bolt required a breaker bar and a 2 foot long pipe for me to get mine off... Ridiculously tight. Same with all 12 of the head bolts. I had to have someone stand on my engine stand while bracing it against the side of the garage or else it would roll around everywhere.

burnout8488
Sunday 29th April 2012, 22:08
I'll keep you posted once I'm done with the Volvo tools, hopefully within a week or two.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 29th April 2012, 22:16
Think on this occasion I could do with a hand - if nothing else it would be good to get the damn thing on the engine stand.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 29th April 2012, 22:57
Dave, you picked the wrong week to do your engine buddy, I'm away for days. I would have come over to give you a hand. Offer still open for next week though.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 29th April 2012, 23:19
Smithy is coming around this week - hopefully the headbolts are not too bad.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 29th April 2012, 23:49
Headbolts are easy, I use a 6 foot piece of scaffold bar to crack them, they go with a bang!

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 29th April 2012, 23:51
half of them did - half of them vpcuk-ed up

Also I think you'll find the critical word being scafold pole. Something else I don't have.

Don't worry they will surrender eventually.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 30th April 2012, 00:10
half of them did - half of them vpcuk-ed up

Also I think you'll find the critical word being scafold pole. Something else I don't have.

Don't worry they will surrender eventually.
You need these bits of kit if you have an AWD. :D :D

And you forgot to add Muhahahahahahaha ;)