PDA

View Full Version : Ipd tcv

d2k
Friday 27th April 2012, 17:44
well........ what can i say, other than ...WOW!!!!

a mate sent me over this TCV as it kept throwing codes up on his P2 V70, so i thought id give it a try before i buy a standard BCS from Volvo.

my god!!!!.... the boost is now SAVAGE!!, my original unit must of been seriously clogged or just super lazy, b/c the thing has turned into a rocket....

got a 6 mile long dual carriageway right by our house so it was quite easy for me to 'teach' the ECU after installation.... 2nd & 3rd gear are phenomenal, my GF nearly got whiplash when i planted my foot in second gear..

lol.... so this is how a T5 should boost...:smile:

volvokid
Friday 27th April 2012, 17:47
Nice there was one for sale on here recently, wish I bought it now it was very cheap.

t5_monkey
Friday 27th April 2012, 17:49
I changed to a brand new stock unit as one was available on STOC cheap.... seemed to make quite a difference and the stock one was just 7 years old with 55k miles.

d2k
Friday 27th April 2012, 17:54
i actually burst into laughter in the car when i put my foot down, it was shocking...

over on T5D5 (where i got the TCV) they frown upon them big time, but the difference is night & day..

i just wanna be out in it all the time now......''whats that honey, were out of milk... i'll be back in a few hours'' lol

this TCV coupled with a decent remap is gonna be EPIC!!!

volvokid
Friday 27th April 2012, 17:57
Yeah I have read a lot of bad things about them, but like everything else you don't know until you try it on your car.

t5_monkey
Friday 27th April 2012, 19:04
I can't see how it's that much difference to a mint stock one but I haven't tried it so I wouldn't know!

d2k
Friday 27th April 2012, 19:20
im sure its not...... but im now CERTAIN the BCS i had on there had never been changed.

i can actually hear the turbo out the window now, never did before.... tbh it actually sounds like its leaking from somewhere, not sure if its supposed to sound that way.

i think ill try & record it... if there was a small leak before this TCV has made it big, fat & wide!!!

sounds like a hefty leaf blower, not a turbo spool...???, bloody quick though.

t5_monkey
Friday 27th April 2012, 20:48
When my car was last in the garage they found a boost leak in the TCV valve piping and it made a big difference to how it held onto boost over 5000rpm.

Mine sounds like a demented hoover on full boost.

http://www.geeks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/henry-hoover-sex-risk.jpg

deathrider311271
Friday 27th April 2012, 21:00

a mate sent me over this TCV as it kept throwing codes up on his P2 V70, so i thought id give it a try before i buy a standard BCS from Volvo.

my god!!!!.... the boost is now SAVAGE!!, my original unit must of been seriously clogged or just super lazy, b/c the thing has turned into a rocket....

got a 6 mile long dual carriageway right by our house so it was quite easy for me to 'teach' the ECU after installation.... 2nd & 3rd gear are phenomenal, my GF nearly got whiplash when i planted my foot in second gear..

Out of interest what did you have to do to teach the ECU??

Simon

d2k
Friday 27th April 2012, 21:34
When my car was last in the garage they found a boost leak in the TCV valve piping and it made a big difference to how it held onto boost over 5000rpm.

Mine sounds like a demented hoover on full boost.

http://www.geeks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/henry-hoover-sex-risk.jpg

yeah...... gotta get it fixed, i'll just change them all...

is this a hard job..??

Out of interest what did you have to do to teach the ECU??

Simon

IPD state the unit needs to be properly bedded in when installed, the ECU needs time to recalculate the more sensitive boost response

this involves a bloody long / clear bit of road (luckily i have)

1... after install drive car 'below boost' just to warm up engine

2... bring car up to half boost & hold for 5-7 seconds then slow to 30mph... repeat process 4 times, i was told 3rd gear 4000rpm should suffice without a boost gauge to be sure.

3... pull over switch off engine for 12 minutes & allow the system to calibrate

4... start car & off you go.

t5_monkey
Friday 27th April 2012, 21:47
They said they found a hold at the end of the tube and just cut the last 2 inches off... POP (piece of p...) from what they said.

LeeT5
Saturday 28th April 2012, 08:26

I fitted one to my car last year and it did make a big difference over the stock bcs. Most noticeable difference was not just in boost but also in the whole driveability, even at low speeds and idle seemed better too with much better throttle response.

Martyn, if your looking at this then it might be worth replacing yours with a new stock one and then refit your AMS and see if the car drives better.
Fact is, a faulty or worn BCS, FPS, MAF will all cause irractic, lumpy and generally bad running problems. Adding the AMS just exposes the weak link but in your case, not being able to put your finger on the culprit!

volvokid
Saturday 28th April 2012, 13:51
I fitted one to my car last year and it did make a big difference over the stock bcs. Most noticeable difference was not just in boost but also in the whole driveability, even at low speeds and idle seemed better too with much better throttle response.

Martyn, if your looking at this then it might be worth replacing yours with a new stock one and then refit your AMS and see if the car drives better.
Fact is, a faulty or worn BCS, FPS, MAF will all cause irractic, lumpy and generally bad running problems. Adding the AMS just exposes the weak link but in your case, not being able to put your finger on the culprit!

Thanks Lee I will remember that when I put the AMS back on.