PDA

View Full Version : 2004-2007 R Ram air

Harvey
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:11
Hi just looking at this ram air kit looks a nice simple mod not in your face.

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5679/113179-r-model-intake-kit

Has anyone got one of these fitted as a cant find any video to give a idea of noise level
Cheers harvey

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:12
Get it cheaper from Demon tweaks. I have a spare intake cone w gauze if you want it?

Will make no difference to the noise. You'd have to change the airbox to achieve that.

Ask Santa (our venerable leader- not Mr Claus) - he has a nice induction kit fitted on his R

Harvey
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:16
Hi thanks for the info will have a look

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:18
I made my own larger intake - cost about 40 quid. Bit of plastic surgery on the bottom valance - & it works well.

volvokid
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:21
Me and lee have the AMS kits have a look in my pictures and you will see it fitted to my car, its off just now until I get some glitches sorted out with running it

Harvey
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:25
I like the idea of it using the front foglight vent which will just keep it looking nice and plane not to boy racer after all it's a Volvo :-).

Harvey
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:30
Hi just looked at your photos nice looking motor ,at least you have filled up that bit if the engine bay looks great ,but what are the problems running it ?

volvokid
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:36
Hi just looked at your photos nice looking motor ,at least you have filled up that bit if the engine bay looks great ,but what are the problems running it ?

Thanks for that. When I first fitted it, the car threw a wobbly it just run like a bag of nails then it threw a error code, so I booked it into Volvo, they suggested a couple things one of which was my MAF so I changed it out, and it still didnt work. So its off and the car runs perfect no errors, Lee has had no issues, I have read it can be to do with the standard map on the ECU doesnt allow for the extra air flow, but lee has run it with his standard map and it works fine, the only thing I can think is that our cars are different MY so there might be differences there I dont know.
If you notice IPD dont sell the kit anymore + they never replied to my emails about it, Elevate still sells it

Harvey
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:51
Hi thanks for the info sounds like a headache to get to the bottom of the problem,I do think the ram air kit looks good as it very near factory looks but I just wanted to no if it's to loud / can hear it inside the car or stood at the front of the car.

volvokid
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:56
Do your research on it and come to your own conclusion, im not going to say yes or no to the kit, but if I get it to work, It is a brilliant piece of kit, if not what a waste of hard earned cash.
With the sound proofing on I was very disappointed by the sound, I hardly heard it in the cabin. I took it off and it sounded brilliant, this is the only reason I want it to work because it looks good and sounds good I didnt expect any performance gains from it.

Al115
Friday 27th April 2012, 09:30
Volvokid, if you ultimately decide to get rid of the Elevate kit, give me a shout as I am quite keen on trying to fit one to my R. Seems a bit of a lottery as to how well it will work though!

volvokid
Friday 27th April 2012, 09:34
I will bare that in mind Al hopefully that doesnt happen though. IF you want I can send mine to you if your keen on trying it to see if it works, instead of spending out and finding it doesnt, then just give me it back, or keep it and order me a new one :) have a think about it. My filter is basicly brand new, it really hasnt done much, under 50 miles i think

Al115
Friday 27th April 2012, 10:10
Thanks Martyn - that is very kind of you! Will give it some thought! :)

volvokid
Friday 27th April 2012, 10:31
okay just send me a PM or something when you decide

Harvey
Thursday 10th May 2012, 19:41
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/IMG00345-20120509-0701.jpg
Just had to have it looks OK.
fitted it this afternoon the pipe is 2 1/4 od big hole saw to cut away a panel in behind grill. It took its time to turn up i think it must have came over on a boat.

volvokid
Thursday 10th May 2012, 19:54
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r499/harveysr/IMG00345-20120509-0701.jpg
Just had to have it looks OK.
fitted it this afternoon the pipe is 2 1/4 od big hole saw to cut away a panel in behind grill. It took its time to turn up i think it must have came over on a boat.

got any pictures of the engine? you better watch those deep puddles now ;)

Harvey
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:02
No sorry a bit to wet ,had to fit it asap as her indoors was at work or it would be, do we really need it on the car !!!.
you cant see it fitted at all, as it fitted under the air box near the snow valve cheers

volvokid
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:04
No sorry a bit to wet ,had to fit it asap as her indoors was at work or it would be, do we really need it on the car !!!.
you cant see it fitted at all, as it fitted under the air box near the snow valve cheers

Ah doesnt matter then, and I get it in the ear all the time to it sucks!!!
How much was it all in then?

Harvey
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:07

only $140 then 22uk to the taxman

volvokid
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:09
only $140 then 22uk to the taxman

Its quite expensive for all that it is, and I doubt you will gain anything from it. I could say the same about my ams though lol

Harvey
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:10
Its quite expensive for all that it is, and I doubt you will gain anything from it. I could say the same about my ams though lol

Yep must be a air box thing.

volvokid
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:12
have you noticed a difference ?

Harvey
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:22
fitted it then got indoors to get changed as doing paper work this afternoon:),will give it a go at the weekend as the blue ring is bonded to the air box and not dry yet.
i am thinking of making up a flap for the air box to block off it if i feel that there might a problem but i just don't use it very much.

Harvey
Thursday 10th May 2012, 20:34

Have you had any luck getting it to work yet.

volvokid
Friday 11th May 2012, 06:41
I'm not trying again until after my wedding next month, then I will have a bash and possibly spend some penny to get it to work, I think the TCV is my next part to replace

Harvey
Friday 11th May 2012, 06:46
Yep got to keep her indoors happy at all costs or there will be trouble ahead .

volvokid
Friday 11th May 2012, 08:58
Yeah too true, I have secret savings account, that isnt that secret lol but its for my car stuff, so hopefully I will get the AMS sorted soonish, I really want a remap, i've never had a car mapped before so I really want this

Harvey
Friday 11th May 2012, 09:49
I have throught about a map and some but the engine liners are a worry very big bill the only time I heard of a problem is with a tuned motor.

960kg
Friday 11th May 2012, 10:33
I don`t know why nobody has yet mentioned it but these type of extra`s only may work on NA motors...... The turbo determines the amount of air going in so long as the supply to the airbox is ample which it is. It is also still ambient temp. air.

Sharkey R
Friday 11th May 2012, 10:43
I have throught about a map and some but the engine liners are a worry very big bill the only time I heard of a problem is with a tuned motor.

I was thinking about either a RICA or MTE remap but the liners issue has held me back from going ahead with it.

Think for longevity I'm sticking with just a Ferrita cat-back which is getting fitted next Thursday and probably stick with the pipercross replacement filter I currently have.

I love the look of the AMS though!

volvokid
Friday 11th May 2012, 11:20
The liners have cracked on non tunned models too, I guess its pot luck but also how you drive, if you are constantly thrashing your car, that IMO is going to weaken the block due to it always being heated and cooled, much more than under normal driving.
I'm thinking of going for the MTE tune it is supposed to be a less aggressive map.

Harvey
Friday 11th May 2012, 11:21
Hi yes but the turbo sucks the air in and blows it but if it dosent have to suck as hard you will get more air in

Harvey
Thursday 17th May 2012, 22:27

Hi just got card bill was £85total inc shipping £20uk tax not to bad.

volvokid
Friday 18th May 2012, 08:30
cool so have you took it for a blast yet

Santa
Sunday 20th May 2012, 15:17
Mine haven't cracked (well yet) and its been running in its current form for around 2 years. Was actually running without a FMIC for a bit before then.