PDA

View Full Version : Wet front left footwell

MobyUK
Thursday 26th April 2012, 14:55
Hi folks. Just noticed that my left front footwell is absolutely saturated and it appears to smell of screenwash.
Is there anything in the screenwash system that might leak into the footwell?

stribo
Thursday 26th April 2012, 15:00
Cougar's suffer from this problem, it happens when the pollen filter gets blocked, then starts breaking up, water runs down the air intake for the heater, and onto the passenger floor. Of course Volvo's may be totally difference, but worth checking.

M-R-P
Thursday 26th April 2012, 15:22
It's the heater matrix springing a leak. Relatively easy to change - I think.

stribo
Thursday 26th April 2012, 15:38
It's the heater matrix springing a leak. Relatively easy to change - I think.

Surely that wouldn't smell of screenwash.

Moby, if it is the heater matrix, you'll be loosing engine coolant, so worth checking that as well.

Harvey
Thursday 26th April 2012, 15:38
Hi have you checked your coolant for the engine sounds like it will be low or have you been topping it up ?,remove the trim pull carpet away to see if it is coolant.

dalhousie2008
Thursday 26th April 2012, 15:40
Is it a saloon? And have you parked facing downhill at all, had it on two of mine the boot lid guttering pipes get blocked

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 26th April 2012, 15:43
betcha 9/10 that it's a leaking heater matrix. Not that hard to do on P1 x70 cars.

daza-b
Thursday 26th April 2012, 15:52
this will help:

Try this
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40547

Note: this is for a left hand drive car, so any time it mentions drivers side, it's the passanger side

M-R-P
Thursday 26th April 2012, 15:56
Surely that wouldn't smell of screenwash.

Moby, if it is the heater matrix, you'll be loosing engine coolant, so worth checking that as well.

Aah, didn't read the screenwash bit.
I know on P2s the pipe for the rear screenwasher goes above the drivers head. dunno about the P1 tho.

MobyUK
Thursday 26th April 2012, 16:21
Thanks for all the replies.
It's not the heater matrix as I changed that a few months ago, and, as stribo said, it wouldn't smell fo screenwash.

dalhousie, it's an estate I'm afraid.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:23
Still be inclined to double check the joints for the matrix.

volvokid
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:43
Still be inclined to double check the joints for the matrix.

Especially if its just been change

Martin-t5r
Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:51
The couplings for the matrix can be right pigs, sometimes they literally will not seal up again, as mentioned above, double check joints at bottom, and into bulkhead

MobyUK
Thursday 26th April 2012, 22:27
I take all the points about the matrix coupling etc and I'll check that out, but, why does it smell of screen washer?
If it was the matrix leaking, surely it would smell of anti freeze. I also tasted the wet mats...ugh...and if it had been anti freeze it would have tasted sweet, which it didn't.

M-R-P
Thursday 26th April 2012, 22:35
Old anti-freeze may not be sweet and you may havw been tasting mat-gunk.
Unless the washer pipe runs through the passenger side on a P1, It'll most likely be the matrix. No part of the washer system should be on the passenger side.

MobyUK
Thursday 26th April 2012, 22:48
It's actually new antifreeze and still tastes very sweet if you dip your finger in the rad header tank.
But I take your point martin about where the washer system runs. It doesn't really make sense that it would be on the passenger side.
Having said that, the rear washer pipe on my Rover SD1 ran under the carpet in the passenger footwell and I had exactly the same thing with a soaking wet footwell carpet.
I'll be checking the matrix over the weekend and I'll post back with the results.

M-R-P
Thursday 26th April 2012, 23:02
You could have a leak around the windscreen, allowing washer fluid to run down the bulkhead?

cookie
Friday 27th April 2012, 06:13
If you do rear washer do you get a decent squirt, as if its screenwash smell, and I'm assuming you use screenwash, then the coupling in the boot, can come unjoined

its under the floor panel on RHS (lift out, panel to get to spare wheel, then pull out the little floor panel on drivers side)

the pipe is in pressed channel, and if that joint comes loose, it will syphon washer bottle, and will track to whichever part of the floor plan is lowest, when its usually parked up.

If its not that, or blocked pollen filter (although if filter usally IIRC more of a damp smell) To check if its screen wash or Coolant, see which one drops, fill screenwash to brim, leave a couple of days, and see if it needs filling up again, has coolant level dropped/needed topping up, only real internal joint on screenwash piperwork is one under boot floor, and is only a plastic, push fit join, (think it may be a non return valve as well)

SteveRuss
Saturday 28th April 2012, 21:02
Run out the screen wash by washing your front windscreen a lot.. If the carpet dries up after that then it's obviously something to do with that system.

Stuff your nose in the coolant tank to remind yourself of what that smells like as well. My heater matrix went and soaked the front and back carpets. Smelt like radiator water I have to admit but it's not a totally dissimilar smell..

After that, i'd check the hoses that go to the nozzles to see if they are water tight..

best of luck..

SteveRuss
Saturday 28th April 2012, 21:04
Run out the screen wash by washing your front windscreen a lot.. If the carpet dries up after that then it's obviously something to do with that system.

Stuff your nose in the coolant tank to remind yourself of what that smells like as well. My heater matrix went and soaked the front and back carpets. Smelt like radiator water I have to admit but it's not a totally dissimilar smell..

After that, i'd check the hoses that go to the nozzles to see if they are water tight..

best of luck..

MobyUK
Wednesday 18th July 2012, 17:50
Well, finally got around to checking for matrix leaks. Pressurised the system for an hour and no leaks. Having said that, since the carpet dried out it hasn't got wet again so I have no idea what it was. I still get the smell, which I've come to the conclusion is antifreeze, but where on earth is it coming from?
One of life's mysteries methinks.

bubba_1986
Thursday 19th July 2012, 17:46
Funny you have a mad smell, I'm the same. Hough I changed y
Matrix when changed a interior about a month back. It smells of like burning electrics but def is from the blowers. Has anyone got any idea how to get rid of. I have drove the car for some time with just passengers blower on, full blast with window opened. Still there. Need to get it sorted for the winter as the heated seats won't suffice lol.

Anyone any ideas. Note. The matrix does not leak.

stephenevans99
Thursday 19th July 2012, 18:52
I know it wouldn't explain the smell, BUT could it possibly the drain tube from the air con evaporator that's become blocked or even dislodged. If it's blocked then water will collect and then start to fill the blower box and spill into the footwell.

MobyUK
Thursday 19th July 2012, 19:00
That was one of the first things I checked Stephen.

bubba_1986
Thursday 19th July 2012, 19:01
My foot well is dry now. The matrix was goosed. Its as if there is some sort of coating on it ???