PDA

View Full Version : Bloody Scratch on my rear cluster!

jimbobsimmonds
Wednesday 25th April 2012, 23:35
Hi all. First post on VPC but I'm a reg on T5D5 and a lurker here for a while...

Was wondering if there is a way of filling/removing a very deep scratch down the side of my rear light cluster...

It looks like handlebar marks as there was a removal of a few layers of laquer which luckily polishing seems to have improved...

Can get pics if this helps?

Thanks
James

t5_monkey
Wednesday 25th April 2012, 23:38
we know all about you T5D5 lurkers!!

But seriously - welcome it's great to have people on here who enjoy VPC, VOC and T5D5 equally - not sure about the scratch, as a wild guess, some polishing perhaps? always seems to help my lenses (weird but I swear it does)

M-R-P
Wednesday 25th April 2012, 23:42
Pic would help but if it's bad, get the cluster off and get it put on a buffing wheel:)
I put mine on a wheel and it came up so shiny, I had to do the rest of them lol.

Welcome aboard.

jimbobsimmonds
Thursday 26th April 2012, 00:08
we know all about you T5D5 lurkers!!

But seriously - welcome it's great to have people on here who enjoy VPC, VOC and T5D5 equally - not sure about the scratch, as a wild guess, some polishing perhaps? always seems to help my lenses (weird but I swear it does)

The secrets out :)

Anyhow, I subscribe to subscribe to performance BMW magazine and they had an excellent "how to" on restoring polycarbonate lenses with polish. I'll dig it out if it's of any use.

Anyhow, the scratch is maybe 0.5mm deep and 3mm wide. It might be hard to disguise unless I can get this inside "shiny" too to deceive the eyes...

Some £££££££ scratched her outside the pub too... :(

jimbobsimmonds
Thursday 26th April 2012, 00:09
BTW Monkey...

Always been an admirer of your sig pic...

Rhys
Thursday 26th April 2012, 00:16
That reminds me, must swap the lower nearside cluster over from the 850 to the V70, got a small crack on it - swapped the other side over so I know that's going to take an hour or so of fiddly nut undoing :(

M-R-P
Thursday 26th April 2012, 00:22
They really are a pig! P2 is no different mate ;)

Rhys
Thursday 26th April 2012, 00:30
They really are a pig! P2 is no different mate ;)

No kidding, screwdriver with socket adapter on the end, universal joint bit and socket to take the little nut off - plus getting fingers in there to stop the §§§§§§ falling off into the depths of hell never to be seen again..

M-R-P
Thursday 26th April 2012, 00:34
blu-tac in the socket mate ;)

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 26th April 2012, 00:34
I had to take the interior trim off to get to the nuts on my lights, plus the lower lights are difficult to get out without loosening the top lights too :(

Mind you I can think of worse cars to work on :)

t5_monkey
Thursday 26th April 2012, 00:36
BTW Monkey...

Always been an admirer of your sig pic...

Thanks I'd be happy to create one for you if you like in the interests of inter-forum relations :)

jimbobsimmonds
Thursday 26th April 2012, 01:06
Thanks I'd be happy to create one for you if you like in the interests of inter-forum relations :)

Wow!!! You going to make me one of your S40s? I love this forum!!! :)

Great looking car though, really is...

t5_monkey
Thursday 26th April 2012, 01:14
Wow!!! You going to make me one of your S40s? I love this forum!!! :)

Great looking car though, really is...

haha I'll give it a go!!

I could do something similar with your photos etc.... to make you a good banner :) just let me know

jimbobsimmonds
Thursday 26th April 2012, 01:16
Cheers pal.

Car is going to need a good wash first though :)

Haizum74
Thursday 26th April 2012, 11:24
Well the cheapest option I have seen is toothpaste and buffing. Various reports of yes it works and no it doesn't but its the cheaper option to try I suppose.