PDA

View Full Version : V40 T4 -Not a Good Buy

Phuturephantasy
Wednesday 25th April 2012, 23:16
Just purchased a V40 T4 advertised on ebay - sounded good, 98' VERY low mileage - 54k or thereabouts, described as 'drives well' - well I can only assume the guy selling it (small Arthur Daley type car dealer) has never driven it as although it looked pretty good when I picked it up, it quickly became clear as soon as I pulled out onto the road that all was not well - bit of smoke to start with and NO Power.

Got home and after fighting with the heatshield for about an hour discovered the actuator arm was off, put this back on and tried her again - still the same, no power, my next thought would be the tcv but have been unable to source one.

Thinking I've bought a total pup and considering just getting rid of for whatever I can get for it and cutting my losses but does it sound like a simple fix?

Al115
Wednesday 25th April 2012, 23:37
I have spare Boost Control Valves off 3 different T4s including two from 1999 cars, so if you want to try that it won't cost much!

Smoking at all under load?

Phuturephantasy
Wednesday 25th April 2012, 23:51
Smokes a fair bit under load for first mile or first 5-10 mins

M-R-P
Thursday 26th April 2012, 00:08
Did you try moving the waste gate arm (the bit the rod connects to) as they can seize and require large amounts of plus-gas and a hammer to free off.

Nice to see you back on the forum mate, nearly a year aint it?

Phuturephantasy
Thursday 26th April 2012, 00:53
The arm itself is really floppy and has no resistance at all, looks like it was taken off deliberately a long time ago as the split pin was actually still in place.

Not been on forum for ages although still been driving an S70 T5 for the last year or so, sold it recently and bought an 04' Laguna to save money but hate it so decided to try a T4 for a change and this came up but is a huge disappointment thus far :O(

Luckily still have the Laguna..

M-R-P
Thursday 26th April 2012, 08:41
The arm itself is really floppy and has no resistance at all, looks like it was taken off deliberately a long time ago as the split pin was actually still in place.

what about the lever the arm is supposed to attach to? is that able to move freely? if not, free it and reconnect the arm, then get an mbc...

Haizum74
Thursday 26th April 2012, 08:42

Not been on forum for ages although still been driving an S70 T5 for the last year or so, sold it recently and bought an 04' Laguna to save money but hate it so decided to try a T4 for a change and this came up but is a huge disappointment thus far :O(

Take it back to the dealer then.

Phuturephantasy
Thursday 26th April 2012, 08:51
The rod coming out of the actuator has a fair bit of resistance and about 12mm of movement in it, the arm that the rod attaches to has no resistance whatsoever and was flopping about freely.

Was bought off ebay from a dealer under Trade terms so no warranty etc.

M-R-P
Thursday 26th April 2012, 08:53
Take it back to the dealer then.

Short, to the point but ultimately right ;)

M-R-P
Thursday 26th April 2012, 08:54
Well, if it all moves freely, re attach it and see what happens. Might be worth borrowing a boost gauge to see what's going on. Check all pipes and hoses etc.

960kg
Thursday 26th April 2012, 09:50
Just purchased a V40 T4 advertised on ebay - sounded good, 98' VERY low mileage - 54k or thereabouts, described as 'drives well' - well I can only assume the guy selling it (small Arthur Daley type car dealer) has never driven it as although it looked pretty good when I picked it up, it quickly became clear as soon as I pulled out onto the road that all was not well - bit of smoke to start with and NO Power.

Got home and after fighting with the heatshield for about an hour discovered the actuator arm was off, put this back on and tried her again - still the same, no power, my next thought would be the tcv but have been unable to source one.

Thinking I've bought a total pup and considering just getting rid of for whatever I can get for it and cutting my losses but does it sound like a simple fix?

Solve the actuator first then move on to the TCV!

Put the rod back on the large wastgate pin and undo the locknut then take off the pin again and hold the rod with molegrips and Don`t let it turn as it will split the diaphragm on the other end wind in the large part on the end of the rod about 3 turns moving the locknut back out the way, put the rod back on the large watsegate pin and put your split pin in and then lockup the locknut. You should now have about 3mm of thread left from the locknut to the inner end of the rod. Try it now, if no boost the diaphragm may have a split but put a foot pump on the vacuum hose that goes to it and pump up a bit if the arm moves it is ok if it doesn`t then it is split. If it isn`t split move on to the TCV by removing the hose RED or Yellow this bypasses the TCV and will give FULL boost so be careful when trying out you may damage something then you know the TCV is faulty if your boost is back!

Hope this helps you?

Keith

Phuturephantasy
Thursday 26th April 2012, 10:01
Thanks Keith sounds like a great plan, when you say take off the hose red or yellow- does it matter which one at all?

M-R-P
Thursday 26th April 2012, 10:05
No mate, it will just stop pressure getting to the actuator.

Haizum74
Thursday 26th April 2012, 21:25
Short, to the point but ultimately right ;)

I was mid migraine and half asleep writing that on my phone so if it sounded short and arsey, apologies. It was lol.

Hope OP gets the car sorted