PDA

View Full Version : T5 Engine rebuild / minor upgrade. What do i need

Dave86
Wednesday 25th April 2012, 22:01
As above im going to start rebuilding my recently acquired T5 engine. The engine has done over 200k and has a suspected bent rod. What im after is a rough list of parts required to adequately rebuild this engine for my project.
So far my list is:

Set of forged rods,
New piston rings
new valve stem oil seals
new head gasket
arp head bolts
Some of that massively expensive volvo 'gasket is a tube'

what else should be changed as a matter of course while the engines in pieces?

Cheers
Dave

Volvostorm
Wednesday 25th April 2012, 22:11
I'd fit new main and big end bearings

Dave86
Wednesday 25th April 2012, 22:39
cheers mate ill add those to the list

Volvostorm
Wednesday 25th April 2012, 22:42
Also, if you can find them, some 20v N/A cams :D and either an ME7 or S60R exhaust manifold.

But, it all depends on how far you want to upgrade things

Dave86
Wednesday 25th April 2012, 23:08
will be going for a bit of an upgrade haven't decided what turbo to use yet though but for the minute im just concentrating on the block

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 25th April 2012, 23:14
ner ner ive got an me7 manifold.................but no car to put it in :(

Dave86
Thursday 26th April 2012, 07:11
ner ner ive got an me7 manifold.................but no car to put it in :(

well you could put it on your mantle piece mate lol don't suppose you've got a kkk24 have you as i think that's the way ill go :D

theflyingbrick
Thursday 26th April 2012, 19:50
well you could put it on your mantle piece mate lol don't suppose you've got a kkk24 have you as i think that's the way ill go :D

nope aint got a mantle either lol,i dont know if he sold it or not but might be worth giving bigrotch a shout,im sure thats what he was selling!!

Jamest5r
Thursday 26th April 2012, 20:07
As above im going to start rebuilding my recently acquired T5 engine. The engine has done over 200k and has a suspected bent rod. What im after is a rough list of parts required to adequately rebuild this engine for my project.
So far my list is:

Set of forged rods,
New piston rings
new valve stem oil seals
new head gasket
arp head bolts
Some of that massively expensive volvo 'gasket is a tube'

what else should be changed as a matter of course while the engines in pieces?

Cheers
Dave

1st thing i would do is take the bare block to an engine recon place and get them to check the bore's properly because if they are scored and depending by how much you are going to have to go at least 0.2mm larger in your pistons so add on another 5-600 quid for new one's. I am speaking from experiance lol, i got a decent block and was all checked 90% good apart from scoring i had to go +0.4mm to make sure i had a decent seal.

Volvostorm
Thursday 26th April 2012, 20:12
1st thing i would do is take the bare block to an engine recon place and get them to check the bore's properly because if they are scored and depending by how much you are going to have to go at least 0.2mm larger in your pistons so add on another 5-600 quid for new one's. I am speaking from experiance lol, i got a decent block and was all checked 90% good apart from scoring i had to go +0.4mm to make sure i had a decent seal.

That is true, mine had 30thou of wear in the middle of the bores, lucky my forged pistons were 0.5mm oversized, so, I got away with a rebore.

Its totally worth checking.

theflyingbrick
Thursday 26th April 2012, 20:41
the bores all looked good you could still see the honing marks all the way down!! and the engine was strong as an ox before the fatal ding ding ding noise lol having said that it might still be worth checking.

Volvostorm
Thursday 26th April 2012, 20:59
Mine had the honing marks still, wasn't till the block went for the rebore that they discovered the wear in the middle of the bore.

Kingsford G
Thursday 26th April 2012, 21:10
New oil pump is a must mate,thrush bearing shells.

Volvostorm
Thursday 26th April 2012, 21:19
I'd be careful with a new oil pump, BlackBeast had lots of problems, turns out the new pumps are rubbish, and can't hold pressure!!!

Kingsford G
Thursday 26th April 2012, 21:29
I'd be careful with a new oil pump, BlackBeast had lots of problems, turns out the new pumps are rubbish, and can't hold pressure!!!

Was it a genuine one?

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 26th April 2012, 21:31
Think they're remanufactured/refurbished.

Kingsford G
Thursday 26th April 2012, 21:43
Wiv 0ver 200k done how much longer u recon the pump`ll last bearing in mind theris a suspected bent rod which could`ve caused some metal dust in the oil.

Volvostorm
Thursday 26th April 2012, 21:49
Was it a genuine one?

I believe it was, think it took the crank out too!

Kingsford G
Thursday 26th April 2012, 22:04
I believe it was, think it took the crank out too!

Did that happen at the first start then?

Volvostorm
Thursday 26th April 2012, 22:19
No, it didn't, they stripped the pump, and found high levels of wear, on a pump that had done less that 3,000 miles
http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/11117-the-blackbeast-project/page__st__160#entry157400

Read post #175 too

Its a bit shocking

Dave86
Thursday 26th April 2012, 22:22
well spending £600 on pistons doesn't really appeal to me to be honest lol
ill take it to the reboring place down the road once I've stripped it and see what they say

As for the other suggested parts ... cheers ill add them to my list :)

Kingsford G
Thursday 26th April 2012, 22:41
No, it didn't, they stripped the pump, and found high levels of wear, on a pump that had done less that 3,000 miles
http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/11117-the-blackbeast-project/page__st__160#entry157400

Read post #175 too

Its a bit shocking

That is shocking (((( I mean a brand new genuine pump,gordon bennet.