PDA

View Full Version : Info 13g turbo

MWT5
Monday 23rd April 2012, 20:49
Does anyone have any info on 13g turbo like maximum power it will deliver whats the highest boost pressure it can run what rpm does the turbo start working.
What is the difference between t5 engine and the lpt engine is it just the turbo?.

T5frankie
Monday 23rd April 2012, 20:51
the t5 is a 2.3 with a high pressure turbo and the 2.5t is a 2.4 with a low pressure turbo

mitchyboy01
Monday 23rd April 2012, 20:57
Max airflow is 360cfm. Approx 235bhp although it will be out of it's efficiency range at this power. Max airflow is achieved around 15psi. After this it's just blowing hot air. PS if you want power potential cheap, ditch the lpt and get a T5.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 23rd April 2012, 21:00
As Frankie says, the 13G was fitted to the 2435cc engine. Maximum boost set by the ecu is about 6psi. The turbo will run out of flow at the higher rpms/pressures so about 13 or 14psi is about the limit. Also the wastegate actuator on the 13G is weaker. On my 13G the max I could get out of it was 9psi (could have been just age). I fitted an actuator from a 16T and it increased.

MWT5
Monday 23rd April 2012, 21:13
Thanks guys the reason I asked is the 13g would spool up quick than the 15g .
I'm just exploring options the t5 engine I have will be racing on short off road oval track where turbo lag is going to be a problem,now I maybe able to sort things by altering gearing and wheel size.
What worries me is all the talk of rod bending with low down torque ,I can not accelerate after 3500 rpm I would be lapped within two laps lol.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 23rd April 2012, 21:17
The 13G is good for town driving as its quick spool up is an advantage. Like you say you have to be careful with low rpm boost

p fandango
Monday 23rd April 2012, 21:19
with the right engine mods to go with it even a 19t won't be laggy, but you will need new rods lol

mitchyboy01
Monday 23rd April 2012, 21:21
Thanks guys the reason I asked is the 13g would spool up quick than the 15g .
I'm just exploring options the t5 engine I have will be racing on short off road oval track where turbo lag is going to be a problem,now I maybe able to sort things by altering gearing and wheel size.
What worries me is all the talk of rod bending with low down torque ,I can not accelerate after 3500 rpm I would be lapped within two laps lol.

Leave the 15g on. It spools from nothing, makes great power and makes a perfect very drivable turbo for the T5. Limit boost to 15psi then the rods will be fine.

MWT5
Monday 23rd April 2012, 21:26
The 13G is good for town driving as its quick spool up is an advantage. Like you say you have to be careful with low rpm boost

That's what Im thinking if the 13g has a maximum of say 15psi surely the engine should be safe whatever the rpm used and the smaller turbo wouldn't produce big torque so less risk of bending something.
Or Maybe save some pennies for forged rods LOL.

MWT5
Monday 23rd April 2012, 21:38
with the right engine mods to go with it even a 19t won't be laggy, but you will need new rods lol

Hi Duane what would be the best mods to make the turbo less laggy,what I've got planned is 3" dp into 2 1/2" straight through no cat and race silencer,mbc ,rip with large cooler pipes,k&n style cone filter,bailey dv,do have white injectors but not planning on fitting unless I get a 16t (which was the original plan or a Garret) also removing part of the pcv and using catch tank really don't want oil vapour going back through the induction.

p fandango
Monday 23rd April 2012, 21:39
Hi Duane what would be the best mods to make the turbo less laggy,what I've got planned is 3" dp into 2 1/2" straight through no cat and race silencer,mbc ,rip with large cooler pipes,k&n style cone filter,bailey dv,do have white injectors but not planning on fitting unless I get a 16t (which was the original plan or a Garret) also removing part of the pcv and using catch tank really don't want oil vapour going back through the induction.
the obvious one to go with that lot is the 960 throttle body

LiamT4
Monday 23rd April 2012, 21:41
I'd stick with the 2.5" dp as going bigger can increase lag (the benefits are higher up the revs).

Bigger throttle body will help.

Jamest5r
Monday 23rd April 2012, 21:56
As above....3" T/B stick with the standard D/P and a 15g...happy days :)

MWT5
Monday 23rd April 2012, 22:00
the obvious one to go with that lot is the 960 throttle body

Ooooh there like hens teeth m8 how much bigger is it compared to stock tb

MWT5
Monday 23rd April 2012, 22:04
Liam , James I've got to make the whole exhaust as it's not going in a Volvo so I think I will stick with the standard size dp then could always change it if need be.

Dangerous Dave
Monday 23rd April 2012, 22:07
Oooh, whats it going to be in then?

MWT5
Monday 23rd April 2012, 22:13
Oooh, whats it going to be in then?

A front and rear spaceframed vx corsa shell for autograss racing.