PDA

View Full Version : S60 2.4D, rough idle after being stood for a while...

Jezza
Saturday 21st April 2012, 15:34
I've just got a new (to me) S60 on a 55 plate. It's the 2.4D rather than the full fat D5 version. 

It's developed a fault on a cold start up, where it'll take longer than usual to fire up, then when it does kick in, it runs for a few seconds before the engine cuts out. This will continue until you give it a bit of throttle, after which it'll run, but really roughly until the engine's been on for a minute or so. Even after this, there's a background noise when the cars' moving that sounds like a hose is coming loose or has a hole in it. 

It's been on the DiCE kit at an independent dealer and a fault with the Mass Air Flow meter (ECM-135F)  was found, which the warranty company have swapped for a Bosch unit. 

The fault's still there though and I'm drawing a blank about what to look at next... I've been in the engine bay and cant see anything amiss and there's no sign of a hose coming off. Anyone got any suggestions about what else could be the problem? 

Jezza
Friday 27th April 2012, 10:00
*bump*

Anyone got any ideas about this? All suggestions welcome! (keep it clean!) ;)

Chad
Monday 30th April 2012, 07:57
Hi,

We had a S60 D5 in with a very similar problem, it was stood for over 9 months, then was difficult to start etc.. and once it was running it would run lumpy until warm

on this particular one it was the glow plugs.

Where abouts are you based?

Also,

Jezza
Monday 30th April 2012, 13:05
Hi Chad, thanks for that. I've sorted the noise that sounded like a hose was coming off in the engine bay, it was the rubber bearing around the steering column boot, so my warranty company can deal with that when I next take it down to the garage.

The cold start issues/lumpy idle are still there. Changing the fuel filter seems to be most people's first port of call, so I'm going to stick a new one on this week now that it seems to have stopped raining, and see what difference it makes. The glow plug light seems to illuminate for only a few seconds before I turn the key. From what I can remember from my other D5's, this was the normal behaviour.

The best way I can describe it is when it's fired up, and I rev it for twenty or so seconds, there's a single misfire about ten seconds in, then it'll keep running, but on the rough side until I've driven for a few hundred yards. After that, it's absolutely fine.

Unfortunately, I'm up in west Yorkshire, so I'm a bit too far from your garage probably. Would still appreciate any advice you can offer though :)

Jezza
Monday 30th April 2012, 13:13
Now that I think about it, the car was stood for a few months between when it was last MOT'd, and I bought it. It's only done a two thousand miles in nearly nine months, so I'm guessing S60's don't like to be left to sit doing nothing! ;)

Chad
Monday 30th April 2012, 18:08
True, they dont like to be left alone..lol

Try the fuel filter and a nice drive.. see how you go.

tell us how you get on and we go from there....hopefully the fuel filter sorts it. Also, try and stay away from supermarket fuel.

Chad

Jezza
Monday 30th April 2012, 18:17
Cheers buddy, new filter is on, and it's had a good run out this afternoon, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow morning when it starts up from cold. Think it can have a tank of V-power diesel tonight to give it a bit of a clear out too...

Will report back, but thanks for your advice so far! :)

volvokid
Monday 30th April 2012, 18:21
Cheers buddy, new filter is on, and it's had a good run out this afternoon, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow morning when it starts up from cold. Think it can have a tank of V-power diesel tonight to give it a bit of a clear out too...

Will report back, but thanks for your advice so far! :)

Did you notice any cracks on the holder? mine had a crack on it and was letting air into the fuel lines, the car wouldnt start half the time.

Jezza
Monday 30th April 2012, 18:32
It was done by the garage nominated by the warranty company, so I left them to it while I had a wander round town. Nothing like that was mentioned by the mechanic though, but I'll have a look underneath it after I've filled it up tonight and see if there's anything similar going on. Cheers :)

Harvey
Monday 30th April 2012, 18:34
Sounds like a glow plug or two,or could be a cam follower if the oil is leaking out of it ,have you had a oil change recently if the not this can cause a problem.

volvokid
Monday 30th April 2012, 18:37
It was done by the garage nominated by the warranty company, so I left them to it while I had a wander round town. Nothing like that was mentioned by the mechanic though, but I'll have a look underneath it after I've filled it up tonight and see if there's anything similar going on. Cheers :)

the garage that changed my filter also broke it and tried glueing it but not very well. I put it to another garage and they said the fuel pump needed rebuilt, +£1200 later car cuts out, oh look a glued fuel filter holder cost about £15 and the car worked, not saying this is the problem with you but maybe air in the system from somewhere.....

Jezza
Monday 30th April 2012, 18:58
Sounds like a glow plug or two,or could be a cam follower if the oil is leaking out of it ,have you had a oil change recently if the not this can cause a problem.

Hi, as far as I'm aware, the last oil change was two/three thousand miles ago during its last service, back in October last year. The oil level is fine though. Are the glow plugs easy enough to change? If I can't find a mention of them being done in the cars service history then I may as well swap them over now

Jezza
Monday 30th April 2012, 19:00
the garage that changed my filter also broke it and tried glueing it but not very well. I put it to another garage and they said the fuel pump needed rebuilt, +£1200 later car cuts out, oh look a glued fuel filter holder cost about £15 and the car worked, not saying this is the problem with you but maybe air in the system from somewhere.....

Cheeky barstewards! I'll double check the filter housing tomorrow after work! Ta for the heads up :)

Harvey
Monday 30th April 2012, 19:08
Hi they are a bit like spark plugs ,but they are not looked at at service,they are like light bulbs work ok or not .
What happens when one stops working the engine will start or but sound rough at tickover for 30 secs until you get some heat in the cylinder that the glow plug not working,when two at not working this will be that bit worse and a bit more smoke at start up.
Once the engine is warm the starts for the rest of the day will be ok.

Jezza
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 17:26
Cheers Harvey, I'll look at the glow plugs next.

I started the car up from cold this morning and it fired up without needing any extra throttle, just ran a bit rough until I'd finished farming with my ipod and reversed off my driveway - which took approx 30 seconds like you suggest.

No evidence of any leaks under the car from a cracked fuel filter casing as per Volvokid, but if it's not raining again tomorrow after work then I'll get the car lifted up and have a proper look.

Thanks again to all for your advice. The beers are on me if you happen to have the misfortune to end up in Castleford! :D

Harvey
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 18:07
Hi if you know someone with a dc clamp meter very easy to test just to see the amps that are used at preheat .

Jezza
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 18:18
Hi, I'm afraid I don't know anyone with that bit of kit, so I'll try and sneak another set of glow plugs past Mrs Jezza instead ;)

Harvey
Tuesday 1st May 2012, 18:31
Hi another set ????????.