PDA

View Full Version : 850 T5 engine removal

Dave86
Friday 20th April 2012, 20:45
Removing the engine from 'the flying bricks' car tomorrow and Just wondering if the t5 engine can be removed from the car without having to remove the gearbox from the car. had a look in the haynes manual and it says you have to remove the driveshalfs etc and take the engine out with the gearbox attached. seems like a lot move work as i don't want the gear just the engine.
Cheers
Dave

claymore
Friday 20th April 2012, 20:48
I just dropped the subframe out the bottom.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/20120220_162020.jpg

T5frankie
Friday 20th April 2012, 20:48
lol the gearbox is attached to the engine, its easier to pull the lot out then split

T5frankie
Friday 20th April 2012, 20:49
I just dropped the subframe out the bottom.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/20120220_162020.jpg

do you wanna come and do mine colin? lol

claymore
Friday 20th April 2012, 20:52
do you wanna come and do mine colin? lol

Not bloody likely, my back was aching for a week afterwords...lol

T5frankie
Friday 20th April 2012, 20:53
Not bloody likely, my back was aching for a week afterwords...lol

what did you use to jack it up high enough to drag the engine out the bottom?

claymore
Friday 20th April 2012, 20:56
what did you use to jack it up high enough to drag the engine out the bottom?
Helps if you have one of these ;)

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u258/claymore2k/20120220_124827.jpg

T5frankie
Friday 20th April 2012, 20:58

suppose it does mate lol

t5 pete
Friday 20th April 2012, 21:00
It can be done without if you have a tall jack and then lower the engine down and slide it out

Dave86
Friday 20th April 2012, 21:13
So if i put sling round the block on an engine crane, undo the subframe and just lower if down will the shalfs just pull them selves out of the hubs? I've obviously never taken an engine out before and as its suppose to be lashing down with rain allday tomorrow id rather do it as quick as possible.

Dave86
Friday 20th April 2012, 21:16

Id love one of them :)

claymore
Friday 20th April 2012, 21:17
Just undo the struts off the hubs and the whole lot will come down, no need to touch the drive shafts

theflyingbrick
Friday 20th April 2012, 22:36
and dont forget its only the bottom half so it wont be as heavy lol the head is in the boot!! how about we undo all the bits we need to then use the hoist to lift the front of the car right up and then "just" slide the lot out from under neath???

Dave86
Friday 20th April 2012, 22:37
Just undo the struts off the hubs and the whole lot will come down, no need to touch the drive shafts

So i unbolt the the hubs from the suspension struts then unbolt the subframe and drop the lot is that it? sounds simple enough in theory lol

theflyingbrick
Friday 20th April 2012, 22:40
So i unbolt the the hubs from the suspension struts then unbolt the subframe and drop the lot is that it? sounds simple enough in theory lol

youve only gone and gave it the commentators kiss of death :slap:

Dave86
Friday 20th April 2012, 22:41
and dont forget its only the bottom half so it wont be as heavy lol the head is in the boot!! how about we undo all the bits we need to then use the hoist to lift the front of the car right up and then "just" slide the lot out from under neath???

Yeah that seems to be the way to do it mate

Dave86
Friday 20th April 2012, 22:43
youve only gone and gave it the commentators kiss of death :slap:

I know lol

T5frankie
Friday 20th April 2012, 22:43
then come and do mine please? lol

merc85
Friday 20th April 2012, 22:50
Disconnect the steering rack from the bottom of the steering coloum
12mm bolt i think drivers foot wel you will see a alloy uj.

Disconnect the fuel line to the back of the engine, and also gearbox cables, and exhaust to turbo.Rad lines too etc.

Disconnect the battery cables especially the blue one that runs along the sub frame.
Also the vac line from the charcol canister nsf wing.
Undo the 13mm top strut mounts.

Then undo the 4 subframe bolts lower the whole lot down. easy peasy.

Jamest5r
Friday 20th April 2012, 22:52
To make it easy..

1, undo top of suspension struts
2, oil cooler pipes off the rad.
3, steering rack unbolt from foot well
4, cut the loom under inlet mani (or if keeping inlet mani has to come off)
5, downpipe unbolted.
6, earthing wires if you can be bothered.
7, Now the tricky bit and its up to you how you do it, 4 bolts securing the sub-frame undo them and its on the floor lol then jack the car up and slide out the wheel arch.

Good Luck it aint that bad just brutal in a good way :)

Edit Merc beat me to it lol, between my guide and his you will be cool :)

Dave86
Friday 20th April 2012, 22:57
Cheers lads you've been most hopeful will report back with how we get on lol

theflyingbrick
Friday 20th April 2012, 22:58
Disconnect the steering rack from the bottom of the steering coloum
12mm bolt i think drivers foot wel you will see a alloy uj.

Disconnect the fuel line to the back of the engine, and also gearbox cables, and exhaust to turbo.Rad lines too etc.

Disconnect the battery cables especially the blue one that runs along the sub frame.
Also the vac line from the charcol canister nsf wing.
Undo the 13mm top strut mounts.

Then undo the 4 subframe bolts lower the whole lot down. easy peasy.

lets hope so buddy :) errr not to go off topic or anything is your gearbox still bust?? there will be one available after tommorow with recent clutch if you know what im saying ;)

T5frankie
Friday 20th April 2012, 23:01
lets hope so buddy :) errr not to go off topic or anything is your gearbox still bust?? there will be one available after tommorow with recent clutch if you know what im saying ;)

clutch is mine lol

merc85
Friday 20th April 2012, 23:05

I have a Gearbox sorted ta, just waiting till 3rd lets go completly before i change it. Damm i hate gearbox off jobs on these lol.

T5frankie
Friday 20th April 2012, 23:07
I have a Gearbox sorted ta, just waiting till 3rd lets go completly before i change it. Damm i hate gearbox off jobs on these lol.

i may be selling my other m59 in the near future though too

merc85
Friday 20th April 2012, 23:15

Nah thanks buddy, im happy with a m56h, got plenty off spare driveshafts for those, Just incase lol

Jamest5r
Friday 20th April 2012, 23:16

1st dibs mine might give up under 1.7bar next week...we will see lol

T5frankie
Friday 20th April 2012, 23:16
Nah thanks buddy, im happy with a m56h, got plenty off spare driveshafts for those, Just incase lol

i have a spare set of m59 shafts too lol

Jamest5r
Friday 20th April 2012, 23:18

1st dibs lol

theflyingbrick
whats the difference between m56 and m59 and how would i tell what mine is??

merc85

M56 mate all the way. just a prefferance despite the lack lsd

T5frankie
Friday 20th April 2012, 23:20
M56 mate all the way. just a prefferance despite the lsd

what all that dramatic wheelspin out of corners? lol

merc85
Friday 20th April 2012, 23:22
Just think the m59 is a weaker box, i know of plenty that have s**t themsleves.

Like i said, prefer the m56.

dalhousie2008
Friday 20th April 2012, 23:56
I'll be removing mine maybe, I have a spare m56 with shaft to replace with

Dave86
Saturday 21st April 2012, 20:32
Well its all done now we followed mercs and t5petes instructions and all was well theflyingbrick took a couple of pics which maybe he will share later on. As it turns out its not an overly complicated job although as novices it was time consuming but i found it to be a good experience the way i see it the best way to learn is to have a go :)

Thanks again to merc and t5pete and a big thanks to theflyingbrick and his dad as there's no way i could of done it without their help. Oh and thanks to theflyingbricks mum for lunch and all the coffee lol

Next job is to strip the engine and start rebuilding it ready for my little project :)

t5steve
Saturday 21st April 2012, 20:35
i'm visiting brick in morning for a dash removal lesson.................will take pics for a giggle

T5frankie
Saturday 21st April 2012, 20:36
Well its all done now we followed mercs and t5petes instructions and all was well theflyingbrick took a couple of pics which maybe he will share later on. As it turns out its not an overly complicated job although as novices it was time consuming but i found it to be a good experience the way i see it the best way to learn is to have a go :)

Thanks again to merc and t5pete and a big thanks to theflyingbrick and his dad as there's no way i could of done it without their help. Oh and thanks to theflyingbricks mum for lunch and all the coffee lol

Next job is to strip the engine and start rebuilding it ready for my little project :)

you wanna come and do mine now? lol

theflyingbrick
Saturday 21st April 2012, 21:33

it was a great day,we had some laughs,and theres a few scraped knuckles but we will survive lol as soon as i figure out how to get the pics from my phone to the laptop i shall post them up.

oh and by the way...............im still not happy about where my engines going grrrrr,although i might do the same ;) a race to the finish perhaps :D

T5frankie
Saturday 21st April 2012, 21:39
it was a great day,we had some laughs,and theres a few scraped knuckles but we will survive lol as soon as i figure out how to get the pics from my phone to the laptop i shall post them up.

oh and by the way...............im still not happy about where my engines going grrrrr,although i might do the same ;) a race to the finish perhaps :D

get a photobucket app on your phone then every photo you send will get uploaded instantlyt to photobucket, making it very esay to paste pictures on the forum

theflyingbrick
Saturday 21st April 2012, 21:43
get a photobucket app on your phone then every photo you send will get uploaded instantlyt to photobucket, making it very esay to paste pictures on the forum

thanks but for that ill need a phone that wasnt made in the 90's,i have a habit of losing my rag whilst in conversation and consequently smashing them to bazillion pieces,so now im only allowed phones that people give me :( on the other hand it does have a memory card so im gonna see if it goes in the side of my lappy somewhere lol

Dave86
Saturday 21st April 2012, 21:47
you wanna come and do mine now? lol

Err...No thanks mate its not something id like to do too often

Maybe just a race once the projects completed perhaps (on a track obviously) you should have a new motor and be sorted by then

theflyingbrick
Saturday 21st April 2012, 22:06
Err...No thanks mate its not something id like to do too often

Maybe just a race once the projects completed perhaps (on a track obviously) you should have a new motor and be sorted by then

i still hate you :nutkick: lmao