PDA

View Full Version : S60 D5, hesitant on full boost and smell of diesel

Liddo
Friday 20th April 2012, 14:23
Hi All,

Just picked up my 2002 S60 D5, lovely lovely car, well looked after and serviced, but i noticed two things on the drive home.

1, On full boost and high rev range, theres a bit of smoke and intermitant hesitancy. The cars been stood for a while, so it COULD just need a blow out???

2, Slight smell of diesel in the cabin when stood still.

Other than that, she's amazing considering the 145k on the clock :)

(See my "im back" thread for piccys :D )

p fandango
Friday 20th April 2012, 14:31
i reckon the intercoolers gone

The Flying Moose
Friday 20th April 2012, 14:39
As with Pedro, having had the same syptoms with mine although albeit a serious smoke problem and the intercooler had gone.

They warp at the top and bottom, not too bad job 2 hours tops and only £130 for a new unit.

Certainly first thing to look at.

If you can get the lower front engine cover off then you'll see if its warped fairly easily.

Liddo
Friday 20th April 2012, 15:00
Ohhh, ok, well, even so, im still made up with the car, and its probably due a cooler ;)

Liddo
Friday 20th April 2012, 15:54
How much for a cooler and where from???

Ive PM'd Rufe, but i can get one from ECP for £165 or Ebay for £140 posted.

Do i need one with a sensor hole in it???

Cheers

p fandango
Friday 20th April 2012, 16:16
Ive PM'd Rufe, but i can get one from ECP for £165 or Ebay for £140 posted.

Do i need one with a sensor hole in it???
think the Nissin one's are about £140. D5's are supposed to have the sensor but my 2002 didn't, the sensor is just under the passenger side intercooler pipe so best just to have a look before you order. I got one with the sensor hole & just blanked it off

Liddo
Friday 20th April 2012, 18:51
Pedro, I've checked around as much as I can and I can't see ANY oil leaks whatsoever. In fact, it looks very very clean around there.
Looking through the masses of paperwork that come with the car, it's due
A service. Maybe because of that and the fact it's been stood on a forecourt might
be the reason for the smoke and stutter. I'm gonna give it a few more blasts before
I stick it in the garage

;)

p fandango
Friday 20th April 2012, 18:57
Pedro, I've checked around as much as I can and I can't see ANY oil leaks whatsoever. In fact, it looks very very clean around there.
Looking through the masses of paperwork that come with the car, it's due
A service. Maybe because of that and the fact it's been stood on a forecourt might
be the reason for the smoke and stutter. I'm gonna give it a few more blasts before
I stick it in the garage

;)
could just be its been stood. Best way to see the intercooler is remove the bottom cover & see if its straight compared to the radiator & aircon evaporator

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5763/photo0190bv.jpg

Liddo
Friday 20th April 2012, 19:19
Ok, will do. I need to swap the bump stops over whilst I'm there

Cheers mate

Nathlm
Friday 20th April 2012, 20:29
£215 plus VAT genuine I would steer clear of the cheaper options really for the intercooler as you may find you will be replacing it again next year.

S60-MBS
Friday 20th April 2012, 22:32
Have you checked your fuel filter yet Liddo?

Mines on its 4th so called genuine intercooler by the way and current milage is 94k.

Liddo
Saturday 21st April 2012, 19:10
Have you checked your fuel filter yet Liddo?

Mines on its 4th so called genuine intercooler by the way and current milage is 94k.

No mate, i havent, but its due a service, so i'll get that changed.

Ive booted it a few times now over the weekend, and it seems to be better, but im sure there's still some sort of stutter. I just remember my 53 plate D5 being much quicker.

Also, I set the clock this morning, and later on this afternoon, it was wrong?? Either i set it wrong, or its the start of the dreaded cluster issue. Even so, Im still made up with the car, and theres a company on Ebay doing cluster repairs for £120.

Will keep you all posted

Cheers

Liddo
Monday 11th June 2012, 12:31
Holy thread resurection!

Well, i thought id just update my thread with some info, for those with simliar issues.

Since I bought my car in April, the hesitant throttle had been getting better, but not brilliant. Well, i FINALLY got around to getting the car serviced, and all is now well :D

I had the air, pollen, oil and fuel filters replaced and some lovely fresh oil and now shes driving like a dream. Still on odd puff of the black stuff when on FULL throttle, but the hesitancy has completely gone. Im guessing it was the Fuel Filter, as the mechanic said it hadnt been done for a long while by the looks of it (rusty).

Just gotta get my clocks done now and a couple of car park dings, then i'll be happy :D

y2blade
Monday 11th June 2012, 12:40
Result :)