PDA

View Full Version : Before a re-map, what to check?

a lex
Friday 20th April 2012, 10:18
2001 V70 P2 T5 Gear-tronic. 155k miles.

Folks,

Im becoming more and more interested in a re-map on the dog wagon. The 300quid special offer at HLM looks particularly promising.

Before doing it I want to check that everything is basically OK - is there an easy way to check the boost and whether the TCV etc is working OK?

Thinking being theres no point spending money on the MAP unless everything else is tip-top.

Thanks

M-R-P
Friday 20th April 2012, 10:43
Get yourself a 20 quid boost gauge off ebay and see how it's boosting. You could run 12v through the bcs (tcv) and see if it clicks. you could also grab the wastegate actuator and see how how easily it moves.
Hows the slushbox? has that had a fluid change?

a lex
Friday 20th April 2012, 11:44
Thanks, good input :) I was hoping I might be able to somehow read the boost off electronically via the OBD port, but im guessing its not going to happen!

Slushbox is about as good as you can expect on these cars at this age. It had a proper/complete fluid change with 3309 about 1500 miles ago.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 20th April 2012, 11:52
How recently did you change your spark plugs - what fuel are you running? Worth investing in a replacement panel filter, ITG - Piper X - K&N or similar.

Like martin says you need to get the wastegate checked. If your going to Bromsgrove for the install a lot will be checked anyway - including boost.

You should also get a b4 & after dyno sheet.

Replace all the BCS pipework if you haven't already.

a lex
Friday 20th April 2012, 11:55
Do decent panel filters make a difference on these cars? Ive had 'meh' experiences with them in the past. Is panel better than a cone?

Ive had the car since January and its FSH, so potentially a while since the sparkies were done.

I run 95RON, tried 98RON for a while but didnt notice much difference, do the T5s have active knock sensors?

M-R-P
Friday 20th April 2012, 12:01
Yes they do have knock sensors and most maps are tuned to run best on 97-99 ron fuel.
as for filters, that's a bit of a can of worms...
Here's what I have...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/8D3DEA64-orig.jpg
and it sounds like this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvb2vAJE3BM

Wobbly Dave
Friday 20th April 2012, 12:09
Point about the fuel is - you'll be running a map specifically designed to run high RON fuel. High ron lowers the risk of detonation - which is more likely when running higher boost & raised IATs. Stuff is just generally hotter. & Yes they have sensors.

So in preparation for the map I'd start to get used to the idea of running higher RON fuel. I never run anything other than V-Power, but there again I work as a supplier to Shell & know the guy that developed it's predecessor in F1.

To get the best out of the map you'll need the more powerful fuel.

Some replacement filters come ready oiled (ITG) and require no maintenance (other than a quick shake/wipe now & then)
K&N filters may require you to oil them now & again.

There have been reports that certain oiled cones can contaminate your MAF sensor). I've never had one.
There are also really expensive options - CDA enclosed

My recommendation would be the ITG replacement panel. Costs about 45 quid.

Also depends on how noisy you want it to be on the recirc?

Mine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5eqIGDL8Ck

HTH

a lex
Friday 20th April 2012, 12:29
Noisy is fine :) Does it really make all that noise just from a cone filter? :)

Ive no problem running 98RON, one of my previous cars was a tuned Abarth 500 and it would only drink the super juice.

Ill look in to an ITG filter and a set of plugs then.

M-R-P
Friday 20th April 2012, 12:41
Dave's car has a much louder exhaust than mine (not too loud but mine is standard) and I have removed the soundproofing from the bonnet which makes a massive difference, but yes, all that from the cone filter.

a lex
Friday 20th April 2012, 12:42
Dave's car has a much louder exhaust than mine (not too loud but mine is standard) and I have removed the soundproofing from the bonnet which makes a massive difference, but yes, all that from the cone filter.

Wow, im surprised at that!

M-R-P
Friday 20th April 2012, 12:56
Wow, im surprised at that!

Not as surprised as I was lol.

What the cone does on it's own...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiYm9-eV55Y

a lex
Friday 20th April 2012, 13:00
For spark plugs are you guys using the Denso PK20PR or the more expensive Iridium VK20Y?

M-R-P
Friday 20th April 2012, 13:32
Mine had iridiums in it, then I changed them for cheap ngk jobs and didn't notice any difference. but that would be another can of worms although, many say that Volvo OE plugs are the best.

a lex
Friday 20th April 2012, 15:36
It seems like HLM sell the ITG filters, so if I stop by there in May/June ill pick one up at the same time.

The iridiums are almost disgustingly expensive at €18 each from my local factors, even UK online places want about 12-15GBP. Ill stop by Volvo at some point and see how much they want....

timbo
Friday 20th April 2012, 15:55
loving the vids on here! Awsome induction Roooooaaaarrrrrr!!!!!!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 20th April 2012, 16:13
I bought a set of 5 NGK Iridium 8's for 35 quid? HLM charge about the same IIRC - just saved on petrol.