PDA

View Full Version : How is this cruise control meant to work then?

Daniel B
Thursday 19th April 2012, 14:15
Hello all,

on my drive back in the T5 (V70 PH2) last weekend, I tried to get the cruise to work, and failed miserably.

I pressed Cruise, which lit up Cruise on the dash, but then I took my foot off the accelerator and it did not maintain speed.

Or do you have to press cruise, accelerate up to a speed you want, and only then lift off?

I forget if I tried that or not, i certainly tried a few ways, and did not succeed.

Should pressing the accelerator or brake then cancel the cruise control?
As the 'Cruise' on the dash seemed to stay lit until I pressed the button.

It will be in for a full bells and whistles cambelt service soon, so if it is faulty i will ask them to look at it - wouldn't normally use it, but a 2000+ mile trip to Italy would make it mighty useful.

Liddo
Thursday 19th April 2012, 14:21
Press the cruise so it lights up, then hold the plus button for a couple of seconds then let go of the button and accelorator, job done.
If you brake, it just cancels the current speed, and does not switch cruise off

;)

volvokid
Thursday 19th April 2012, 14:23
Push cruise that activates it, then when you are happy with the speed you want to cruise at push the + button, You can accelerate with that button and slow down with the - button, if you have turned the cruise off with the brake or the o button, push the reset button and the car will pull up to the last speed it was set at. Do remember if you try and change gears it will cut the cruise off. You can also put your foot down and then let it off and the car will go back to its set cruise speed, handy for passing

volvokid
Thursday 19th April 2012, 14:24
Press the cruise so it lights up, then hold the plus button for a couple of seconds then let go of the button and accelorator, job done.
If you brake, it just cancels the current speed, and does not switch cruise off

;)

you beat me to it!!!

Daniel B
Thursday 19th April 2012, 14:34
Thankyou gents,

never had a car with such toys before, guess I could have found it out in the manual, but there we go......

I think I have got it as to how to set the cruise - so you are also saying that you can increase and decrease your speed by simply pressing the +/- buttons on the wheel once cruise is set, and not touching the accelerator?

And if you brake, it will then increase the speed back up to the previously set cruise speed?

The ability to accelerate to overtake, and then it coming back down to cruise speed is mighty useful :D

volvokid
Thursday 19th April 2012, 14:45
Thankyou gents,

never had a car with such toys before, guess I could have found it out in the manual, but there we go......

I think I have got it as to how to set the cruise - so you are also saying that you can increase and decrease your speed by simply pressing the +/- buttons on the wheel once cruise is set, and not touching the accelerator?

And if you brake, it will then increase the speed back up to the previously set cruise speed?

The ability to accelerate to overtake, and then it coming back down to cruise speed is mighty useful :D

Yeah you can use the buttons to control your speed.
No if you brake you cancel the cruise, there is a button that you push that reverts back to cruise speed

d2k
Thursday 19th April 2012, 14:57
funny...... i used mine yesterday for the first time since i bought the car, i too couldn't get it to work, cruise came up on the dash but it kept slowing down... then figured the above out..

its great!!, i work 9 miles from my house & its a long windy country road, it twists & turns up & down... set the cruise for 40mph & sat back, i was amazed at how it dealt with going up & down hills, adding & taking away power where needed to keep it bang on 40mph...

i think it will now become invaluable!!:smile:

Porcine_Aviator
Thursday 19th April 2012, 15:05
Not having a dig, but it's amazing how many owners don't know how to use the cruise control. It does take a bit to figure out but once you get used to it you tend to use it a lot, it saves the heavy foot on the loud peddle.

local-looney
Thursday 19th April 2012, 15:25
It's in the handbook.....but as blokes,who reads it? Not me,that's for sure..lol

stribo
Thursday 19th April 2012, 15:59
Only time I use it is in temporary average speed limit zones on motorways, set it to 50mph, no chance of getting a ticket. :D

p fandango
Thursday 19th April 2012, 16:15
the revert speed button is brilliant, think it gives it more throttle than standing on the loud pedal. Trying to revert back to 70mph while in 1st doesn't do it much good tho lol

stephenevans99
Thursday 19th April 2012, 21:15
Most of it's been covered, but here's some instructions....