PDA

View Full Version : air bag light on after seat change

t5steve
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 21:46
can anyone shed any light on this before i have to pay out to get codes read
i changed the seats in my t5 from heated non electric to heated electric drivers seat today
i also changed all seatbelts that were attached to seats inc both front seat tensioners
i followed a guide on forum ref wiring for seat but since i have reconnected the battery i have the airbag light on
anyone had this problem in the past?
as usual any help greatly appreciated

local-looney
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 21:50
can anyone shed any light on this before i have to pay out to get codes read
i changed the seats in my t5 from heated non electric to heated electric drivers seat today
i also changed all seatbelts that were attached to seats inc both front seat tensioners
i followed a guide on forum ref wiring for seat but since i have reconnected the battery i have the airbag light on
anyone had this problem in the past?
as usual any help greatly appreciated

ello' when i changed the seats from manual to electrically heated/memory etc,only thing i was told was to make sure the clip was placed over the bit behind the side trim on the seat,cant remember the correct name its called,but hope you sorta know where im going!!
disconnect battery overnight??

AndysR
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 21:51
I'm sure I've read somewhere, could be wrong, that if one of the sips bags is faulty then it won't bring up the srs warning light. So that leaves the pretensioners which I am sure do. I'd be looking at the wiring connections to your pretensioners and maybe swapping back to your old pretensioners if the wiring appears ok :)

local-looney
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 21:53
I'm sure I've read somewhere, could be wrong, that if one of the sips bags is faulty then it won't bring up the srs warning light. So that leaves the pretensioners which I am sure do. I'd be looking at the wiring connections to your pretensioners and maybe swapping back to your old pretensioners if the wiring appears ok :)

thats what i meant!!!!!!

t5steve
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 22:06
thats what i meant!!!!!!
i thought it was
i tried both connectors in case i hadn't pushed them in properly but they seemed ok...............left battery off for about 4 hours today but no difference.........do i need to leave it disconnected longer?
will take pre tensioners off my old seats and see if that works

as always thanks for speedy replies.............makes this forum worthwhile

bigrotch
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 22:50
See ya haveing some probs mate they was all good on car
wounder if a wire or something got knocked on removel etc

cookie
Thursday 19th April 2012, 08:47
few basics

1 - passenger seat, was there a little 'fly lead' on seat belt clip on old seat, and is it there on new seat (if not seat belt clip will need to be swapped as that is trigger for passenger air bag)
2 - is it same software car to car - i.e. 4.3/4.4/Me7 as IIRC there can be problems swapping between 4.4/4.3 and Me7 not sure about 4.3 to 4.4 or other way round

other than that get codes read, could be something silly not plugged in properly, some generic code readers will reset SRS light, even though they cannot read codes, as when you press the reset, it just tell ECU to clear everything, but obviously only any use if you find wrong connector or the like, so find physical fault, and just need to turn light off

Kingsford G
Thursday 19th April 2012, 10:08
I had drivers seat removed from my 850 to fix a wire but had no problem after fitting it back.Do those seats have a side airbags?If not yr problem is probably elsewhere.

t5steve
Friday 20th April 2012, 00:05
See ya haveing some probs mate they was all good on car
wounder if a wire or something got knocked on removel etc

i am more than happy with seats and don't for one minute think you would sell me something that doesn't work..............missus still moaning about blue carpet though.............

few basics

1 - passenger seat, was there a little 'fly lead' on seat belt clip on old seat, and is it there on new seat (if not seat belt clip will need to be swapped as that is trigger for passenger air bag)
2 - is it same software car to car - i.e. 4.3/4.4/Me7 as IIRC there can be problems swapping between 4.4/4.3 and Me7 not sure about 4.3 to 4.4 or other way round

other than that get codes read, could be something silly not plugged in properly, some generic code readers will reset SRS light, even though they cannot read codes, as when you press the reset, it just tell ECU to clear everything, but obviously only any use if you find wrong connector or the like, so find physical fault, and just need to turn light off

many thanks for that info.............seats came from same year model.........will check "fly lead" but don't think it had one................will check all connections at weekend and let you know

I had drivers seat removed from my 850 to fix a wire but had no problem after fitting it back.Do those seats have a side airbags?If not yr problem is probably elsewhere.

thanks mate

just thought of something.............i didn't disconnect the battery untill after i had changed passenger seat.............only remembered when i went to plug the airbag back in............could that have thrown the light?
will get light turned off and see what happens

t5 stealth
Friday 20th April 2012, 00:25
you might find you have to use diagnostics to clear the fault,
light wont go out on its own,has to be reset.
when i did my steering wheel change it had to be reset/cleared ,
if you can get the fault read it will tell you what is causing the light to be on...

M-R-P
Friday 20th April 2012, 00:34
just thought of something.............i didn't disconnect the battery untill after i had changed passenger seat.............only remembered when i went to plug the airbag back in............could that have thrown the light?
will get light turned off and see what happens

That would almost definately throw the warning mate. even if the ignition is off, the srs system will detect a break in the circuit and throw a warning.
At least it's not P2, you gotta disconnect the battery for a couple of hours or so before you can start unplugging things :(

Kiwipatterson1981
Monday 25th August 2014, 20:19
Could you let me know how you resolved this. I have exact same prob, changes my 53 reg seats for 53 reg sport seat and now air bag service light is on. Did you disconnect the battery and try again? I.e un plugs plug back in then re connect?

Thanks

stribo
Monday 25th August 2014, 21:58
Did you disconnect the battery , and reconnect the battery with the ignition in position II?

M-R-P
Monday 25th August 2014, 23:26
Did you disconnect the battery , and reconnect the battery with the ignition in position II?

That'll only prevent the airbags deploying when you reconnect the battery Steve, it wont stop a warning appearing.

If the battery was off for a minimum of an hour before the seat change, I would suggest checking the wiring in the connections matches - most importantly, the orange wire. Chech there's no fraying too as that'll cause problems. If everything matches, you could be looking at a fault with the seat itself.

Getting it plugged into dice/vida will give you an idea of where the problem is.

Kiwipatterson1981
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 23:35
Never disconnected the battery at all? Should I try doing that now?

M-R-P
Tuesday 26th August 2014, 23:59
Too late. You'll need to get the warning cleared with the proper volvo kit or a high - end generic code reader.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 27th August 2014, 00:08
I've had major issues with both 850 and V40 with Airbag lights following removal for Drag racing. Both times required a trip to a garage with the proper kit. Doesn't need to be a main dealer. A good garage will have invested in the OBD11 kit as it's becoming a necessity.