PDA

View Full Version : Traction Control

MattM
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 10:23
Does the traction control reduce the power of your car if it kicks in? If I'm pushing my car hard in 2nd traction light will come on. Just wondering what the difference would be with it off.

M-R-P
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 10:27
If you push it too hard, it will retard the throttle a bit. Turn it off and it'll spin the wheels more easily and you'll have to feather the throttle to get the best traction. It'll go quicker doing it yourself. Just be careful in the wet :yikes:

MattM
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 10:30
Interesting.
I find I can go quicker if I use say 8/10th throttle instead of full throttle. No traction light comes on though.

When using 8/10th throttle and moving at some pace I then use full throttle once I'm higher up the revs to get the rest of the power in. Just seems if I go straight to full throttle the car isn't as quick, even though there's no traction light.

M-R-P
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 10:39
With mine, the tracs sometimes doesn't notice the wheelspin, especially if both are spinning at the same speed. I think it's because it sees little difference in speed between the two wheels and therefore doesn't take any action.

Just my take on it, if I'm wrong, somebody will surely tell us...:)

t5_monkey
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 10:42
Mine often comes on and I don't notice the difference.

Strut brace and new dampers will improve the spin a lot, as will good tyre choice or going up a wide (235 instead of 225 etc..)

stribo
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 10:45
With mine, the tracs sometimes doesn't notice the wheelspin, especially if both are spinning at the same speed. I think it's because it sees little difference in speed between the two wheels and therefore doesn't take any action.

Just my take on it, if I'm wrong, somebody will surely tell us...:)

The T/C monitors all 4 wheels, so even if both fronts are spinning at the same speed, because they're rotating faster than the rears, the T/C should cut in. Whilst on the subject, does anyone know how to completely turn off the DTSC on the S60R/V70R?

MattM
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 10:47
I heard 5 presses of the button turns it off?

stribo
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 10:53
Yeah, but apparently it has to be done in a certain time/frequency.

M-R-P
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 10:54
I thought it was only the esp/ebd system that monitors all 4 wheels, and adjusting brake/abs to each wheel? on early P2, the T5 had DSTC and the slower models had TC. dunno if that makes a difference or if it is relevant at all. All I know is what I've seen with my car and I have spun both front wheels hard, right through 1st and into 2nd without the tracs light coming on.
I have also accelerated hard off a roundabout in 3rd, had the tracs light flash but couldn't feel any slip or any throttle retardation.

stribo
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 11:01
I thought it was only the esp/ebd system that monitors all 4 wheels, and adjusting brake/abs to each wheel? on early P2, the T5 had DSTC and the slower models had TC. dunno if that makes a difference or if it is relevant at all. All I know is what I've seen with my car and I have spun both front wheels hard, right through 1st and into 2nd without the tracs light coming on.
I have also accelerated hard off a roundabout in 3rd, had the tracs light flash but couldn't feel any slip or any throttle retardation.

Oh right, I was going on other FWD cars I've had with T/C. If you can't feel the T/C working whilst the light is flashing, it means it's a good system. I had an early mechanical T/C on a MKI Mondeo and it used to kick the throttle pedal back at you when the T/C cut in, and pretty much cut all power. Even the system on the Cougar isn't that great, as it cuts power quite a bit, and sounds like it's running on 3 cylinders, which is why I always turn it off for 0-60 runs/traffic light Grand Prix. ;)

MattM
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 11:02
I'll turn mine off and see how it feels. When it's dry of course, never drive fast in the wet.

T5frankie
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 15:38
i never use traction control, it's for girls

p fandango
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 18:36
i never use traction control, it's for girls
the system on P2's is quite good, & tries to give you enough power to do something instead of just cutting the engine

Jimmie
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 18:53
DSTC is not like the old system it works a lot better than it.
The police might disagree though.

volvokid
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 18:56
The old system was only for pulling away in the snow mainly, it worked up until 20 odd mph then after that you were on your tod

Harvey
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 19:23
Hi on the s60r the button near the gear stick works at three levels.
1 led on on button system on
2 led off ,also message on dash to say its still on but reduced.
3 press button five times at one second gaps and then you will get a message that warns you that it is now off , it can be hard to get it to do this it's all in the timing .
Volvo hand does warn you not to do this as you might lose control and crash your car!.

LeeT5
Thursday 19th April 2012, 02:16
The old system was only for pulling away in the snow mainly, it worked up until 20 odd mph then after that you were on your tod

Correct.

Hi on the s60r the button near the gear stick works at three levels.
1 led on on button system on
2 led off ,also message on dash to say its still on but reduced.
3 press button five times at one second gaps and then you will get a message that warns you that it is now off , it can be hard to get it to do this it's all in the timing .
Volvo hand does warn you not to do this as you might lose control and crash your car!.

I will explain that a bit better.

If you press the DSTC button once (default is ON when you start the car) then the msg "DSTC anti skid reduced".
If you press the button 5 times with a 1 second interval, on the 5th press of the button you will see the msg "DSTC anti skid off".

I'll turn mine off and see how it feels. When it's dry of course, never drive fast in the wet.

Good man.;)

The T/C monitors all 4 wheels, so even if both fronts are spinning at the same speed, because they're rotating faster than the rears, the T/C should cut in. Whilst on the subject, does anyone know how to completely turn off the DTSC on the S60R/V70R?

See above ^^^^^^^^

Traction control on the V70R/S60R is controlled by the ABS sensors detecting which wheel is rotating faster then fires the abs pump to apply the brakes slightly to slow the wheel down so it can gain traction.

DSTC works in a similar manner but is governed by ABS sensors, EBA (electronic brake assist), shock absorbers (to restrict body roll, limit front end dive when braking and limit rear end squat when accelerating), dynamic cornering control, Active Yaw control, Brake pressure, steering wheel position and speed.

MattM
Tuesday 24th April 2012, 20:37
Had TC off today and have to say I much prefer it this way. It feels more predictable when giving the beans.

LiamT4
Tuesday 24th April 2012, 20:44
Had TC off today and have to say I much prefer it this way. It feels more predictable when giving the beans.

Its the same on my car, pulling off fast with the TC on it can be a bit "jolty" as the car loses traction and it backs off the power. Much smoother with it off, although if i get it wrong, it just spins the tyres and leaves a big 11 mark from the back of the car. lol

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 24th April 2012, 21:01
I never had it on either C70 - some on here will know the consequences of that.

No reason to ever turn it off on the road.

LiamT4
Tuesday 24th April 2012, 21:09

Didn't work after about 12mph on my s70 anyway, think it was just for snow, ice, etc.

My brothers old datsun (200sx) would still be alive if they had TC. 280bhp, rwd, light car, no traction control and a damp road don't go well.

MattM
Tuesday 24th April 2012, 21:52

What happened?

Just to be clear, I wouldn't turn it off in the wet/damp. I also never boot it in corners, only on straights.

T5frankie
Tuesday 24th April 2012, 21:54
Didn't work after about 12mph on my s70 anyway, think it was just for snow, ice, etc.

My brothers old datsun (200sx) would still be alive if they had TC. 280bhp, rwd, light car, no traction control and a damp road don't go well.

on my me7 t5 when going too quickly round a corner it would cut the power right off

LiamT4
Tuesday 24th April 2012, 21:59
on my me7 t5 when going too quickly round a corner it would cut the power right off

Thats how it was on my t4. Still torque steered lika an s o b though! lol

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 24th April 2012, 22:02
Don't worry about it Matt. If you are interested do an advanced search for "Grace" & "Wobbly Dave"

p fandango
Tuesday 24th April 2012, 22:05
i'm looking forward to trying the Racelogic system on BT :)