PDA

View Full Version : Have I got the correct ECU?

andyducati
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 21:06
Hi All,

Im new here and new to Volvos (1st time owner).
I picked up a 1997 V70 SE T-5 last week, on first week of ownership it seems quite a good car considering its at 209000. It had a few issues but nothing to worry about, or so I thought.
The guy I bought it off seemed OK, he said it has a miss fire when the engine is under load which I can confirm correct. It miss fires above about 3500rpm and feels like the boost is being held back (a lot). Ive got a new set of genuine plugs on order as he suggested these.
I later on noticed a few warning lights were not illuminating, the ABS, Lambda and 1 of the brake warning symbols and half of the back lighting. So I removed the instrument panel and replaced the blown bulbs.
They all now work but the lambda light remains illuminated.
The car came with an brand new sensor in its packet (still in the boot) along with a new PCV valve and pipes.
Ive found the ECU under the bonnet in the box next to cam belt. I removed this to try and clear any codes (does this work as it works on my Chrysler). I didn't want to disconnect the battery as Im not sure if I have the radio code.
I took the ECU inside to find out what type it is. Its a Bosch 0 261 203 073 (074). Google says this is a Motronic M4.3 which was fitted to the earlier 850's

So finally my question is, Which ECU do I have.
other markings are P01275106 CP01 1T26S3564 T94374533.

Have I got an a car where the ECU has failed and replaced by an earlier one? If so do I have the right map in it?
Can I read fault codes by doing the jumper method or do I need a OBD reader?

During my search I came across some interesting webpages

http://trionic.mobixs.eu/Motronic/M4...onic%204.3.pdf
http://trionic.mobixs.eu/Motronic/M4...onic%204.4.pdf

Has anyone seen them before. The picture of the inside of the 4.3 ECU is the same as the inside of mine but I think I have the early type EPROM as it has a little window covered by a sticker. But the inside of the 4.4 is nothing like mine which makes me think 4.3!!

Any help would be wonderful.

Cheers
Andy

LiamT4
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 21:21
I didn't think that the ecus were interchangable? (850 to s/v70)

Couple of people have the ecu lists somewhere.

andyducati
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 21:33
Thanks for the reply,

I did some searching earlier today and found a list of Volvo ECU's and then one I have is listed for 850 T-5. The Bosch part numbers for the V70 T-5 is completely different.
Do Volvo put their part numbers on the ECU's? As I have found the ECU's in the parts section of VADIS but can't relate them to any of the numbers on the ECU itself.

Heres hoping

Andy

Volvostorm
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 21:35
Here is a list of compatible ecu's:
http://www.turbo-tuner.co.uk/ttusb-compatible.htm

You will need a OBD jumper to read the codes, but some code readers can also do it.

LiamT4
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 21:36
Thanks for the reply,

I did some searching earlier today and found a list of Volvo ECU's and then one I have is listed for 850 T-5. The Bosch part numbers for the V70 T-5 is completely different.
Do Volvo put their part numbers on the ECU's? As I have found the ECU's in the parts section of VADIS but can't relate them to any of the numbers on the ECU itself.

Heres hoping

Andy

Not sure, ecus aren't my strong point. lol

As i'v i said though, there are a few that will be able to help, i'm sure when they come online and see your thread, they will be able to help more.:B_thumb: