PDA

View Full Version : Re-circ/blanking plate/dump valve question

Aydenapp
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 20:22
Could think of anything BUT childish things to put as the subject title :insane:

Im currently running a blanking plate on my 855 T5, along with HLM map and white injectors.....

However....im noticing the increased spooling time from having the blanking plate and its sort of quite annoying..... i dont want to put the re-circ valve back in cause thats just boring :blahblah:

I have in the garage a single piston bailey dump valve......and a lightbulb atop of my head and a little voice inside my head saying fit it over and over again....

Question is, would it be ok to fit it ? do i risk any issues with anything ?

p fandango
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 20:35
single piston dump valve is no good for cars with MAF sensors

T5frankie
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 20:38
duno what pedro is on about, they work fine mate
http://i889.photobucket.com/albums/ac96/t5frankie/IMAG0266.jpg

M-R-P
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 20:39
as above BUT an upgraded recirc valve and removing the soundproofing from the bonnet will be nice ;)

p fandango
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 20:41
duno what pedro is on about, they work fine mate
i've never used dump valve's so just going by what the manufactures say

dalhousie2008
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 21:00
I didn't think there was an issue with dumpvalves having to be twin piston

p fandango
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 21:06
I didn't think there was an issue with dumpvalves having to be twin piston
LINK (http://www.baileyshop.co.uk/article/single_piston_dump_valve_bailey). Does say for turbo'd cars without MAF sensors, but does say there may be some exceptions where it'll work

theflyingbrick
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 21:10
i had a single piston dv on mine and it ran like poopa kaka!! it used to leak boost all over the gaff,i switched to a double piston one and it was good as gold....then i took it off and just run blanking plate and cone filter,removed the bonnet lining and the rubber sill along the back and hey presto.......everytime i shut off after boost it sounded like a basket of rattlesnakes :D to which i think is the better sounding anyway ;)

Aydenapp
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 21:21
Dont get me wrong, i love the sound lol, just not overly keen on the lag, bonnet lining has already been removed as i found out this afternoon.

Might keep it as it is for a little bit longer, see if i can get used to it... dont fancy forking out £100+ for a twin dump valve..

cheers chaps

nottsgreent5
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 22:09
Ive tried 2 single pistons on mine sound fantastic but run really rough

daza-b
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 22:20
Ive tried 2 single pistons on mine sound fantastic but run really rough

:rotfl: madness

merc85
Tuesday 17th April 2012, 23:11
Run a R.I.P set up it will reduce the lag

960kg
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 09:35
The twin piston type is the one used on the T4 for good performance

T5frankie
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 10:17
Dont get me wrong, i love the sound lol, just not overly keen on the lag, bonnet lining has already been removed as i found out this afternoon.

Might keep it as it is for a little bit longer, see if i can get used to it... dont fancy forking out £100+ for a twin dump valve..

cheers chaps

Mine don't lag, sure its fitted correctly?

Martin-t5r
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 10:30
I run a tial bov currently which I am happy with. I used to have a Nissan s15 that I had blanked the recirc valve off on, so it used to chatter like a sneezing turkey :) just wondering on cars like our Volvo's are there any serious adverse effects from turbo stalls and running with just the blanking plate installed? Does it drastically reduce the life of the turbo? Obviously the air is being forced backwards out of the air filter through the turbo, just wondering if it affects them THAT much ?

M-R-P
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 10:43
Uh-oh...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/worms.jpg

Martin-t5r
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 10:48
Oops sorry lol

T5frankie
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 14:11
I run a tial bov currently which I am happy with. I used to have a Nissan s15 that I had blanked the recirc valve off on, so it used to chatter like a sneezing turkey :) just wondering on cars like our Volvo's are there any serious adverse effects from turbo stalls and running with just the blanking plate installed? Does it drastically reduce the life of the turbo? Obviously the air is being forced backwards out of the air filter through the turbo, just wondering if it affects them THAT much ?

same as any other rurbo

jayeastanglia
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 14:24
Mine don't lag, sure its fitted correctly?

mine got a recirc plate and no more lag than standard really, rip kit is on my list of mods as well.... i do get a little sort of big lag when engine is cold and in 1/2gear

960kg
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 15:16
same as any other rurbo

Why do they make two types, single piston and double piston?

I thought the idea behind the double piston or port is to release the pressure quicker thus not hindering or putting extra strain on the turbo? which = better performance.

T5frankie
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 15:26
Why do they make two types, single piston and double piston?

i thought it was for noise reasons

Aydenapp
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 18:34
Maybe im just imagining things then lol, ill keep it on for a bit longer and see how it goes.

Cheers chaps

nottsgreent5
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 19:26
the single piston valves are for the old carb turbo cars the 2nd piston in the twin piston cars keeps the car idling properly on efi engines as far as i know bailey dv26 and forge do a decent twin piston valve

theflyingbrick
Wednesday 18th April 2012, 21:23
the single piston valves are for the old carb turbo cars the 2nd piston in the twin piston cars keeps the car idling properly on efi engines as far as i know bailey dv26 and forge do a decent twin piston valve

what he just said ;)