PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help Needed....

Steve36
Saturday 10th September 2005, 10:38
Hi all,I need some help real fast,im going to view my first 850 T5 today at 3pm,at a local garage,its an N-plate 850 T5 cd estate auto,apparantley in excellent condition for year etc.(fingers crossed)
Please can anyone help in giving me some advice on what to look for,and what should make me buy it or walk away....appreciate any advice offered guys...thanks in advance...

Vikingxl
Saturday 10th September 2005, 10:43
Try this thread mate might be of some help
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3320

macV70R
Saturday 10th September 2005, 11:48
Hi all,I need some help real fast,im going to view my first 850 T5 today at 3pm,at a local garage,its an N-plate 850 T5 cd estate auto,apparantley in excellent condition for year etc.(fingers crossed)
Please can anyone help in giving me some advice on what to look for,and what should make me buy it or walk away....appreciate any advice offered guys...thanks in advance...

Where abouts in the north east are you?

Mac.

Steve36
Saturday 10th September 2005, 12:09
In Sunderland Mac....

Paul ABZ
Sunday 11th September 2005, 17:18
This post will be too late now for you now, but check the wing mirrors operate in all directions. These small motors and plastic sun/planet gearboxes are the most fragile things on the face of the planet! The gearboxes are built to last the journey from the showroom to your house, and no more. The same gearboxes are fitted on other cars, e.g. Audi 100. The Audi motors do not have the Volvo connector though, they are hard-wired.

Another weak point are the headlight wiper motors. They are easily replaced if you can afford a new one from Volvo. The headlight washer system is prone to fail as well, there is a silly distributor & pressure reducing valve in the line to them from the washer pump. This valve stops working, and allows wash fluid to pour in the engine bay, but nothing comes out of the headlight wiper arms. The valve is located behind the RH headlight on 850 T5's.

Windows need to be operated as well. On the CD spec you get four leccy windows which need a quick check. GLT's usually get front leccy ones and keep-fit ones in the back. Check the auto-down feature on the drivers window, it's a bit iffy on a lot of cars.

Obviously, you WILL need the radio code from the previous owner if it has a Volvo radio fitted. Often overlooked when you are buying a car, you always need it in the most awkward time (e.g. flat battery).

Finally, SQUEEKY BRAKES! Lots of posts here to tell you how to fix it, but it gives you a lever with the seller if they squeek.

Steve36
Monday 12th September 2005, 13:09
Thanks guys for all the info....appreciate it :)
turns out when i got to the garage to view the car....the owners dumb struck son appeared,scratching his arse,and sniffing loudly,saying....sorry mate me dad just sold it....typicall eh??
But ive just bought a 850 t5 glt from this site,so looking forward to getting that picked up next week,
thanks again guys... :B_steerin