PDA

View Full Version : Damn locking wheel nuts

zip929
Friday 6th April 2012, 14:37
Headed off this morning to visit the Mother in law in Lutterworth.
Coming off the M2 onto the M25 and the steering wheel started juddering.
Slowed right down and pulled into the Holiday Inn Express at Dartford.
Slow puncture.
Well I thought I have one of these foam repair kits in the car I will try that.
Unloaded the foam into the tyre. Went to pull away and the tyre basically exploded!
Got the spare wheel out, thought I will put the spare on and get to the nearest Kwik fit.
No way. The locking wheel nut refused to budge.
At this point I called the AA.
AA guy tried his upmost to get the locking wheel nut off, to no avail.
Got the car towed to the local Volvo garage, and hopefully they will be able to get the nut off tomorrow.

What a day!

Dave

M-R-P
Friday 6th April 2012, 15:14
You need a 7/8" socket, a load of tape and a 32oz ball pein hammer to remove those badboys. A selection I recently added to my boot tool kit ;)

zip929
Friday 6th April 2012, 15:28
You need a 7/8" socket, a load of tape and a 32oz ball pein hammer to remove those badboys. A selection I recently added to my boot tool kit ;)

Going to leave this to the Volvo dealer. I can change discs and pads but I am not a brilliant man on the spanners. Wish I was! I always marvel when I see threads and people have half their engine on the floor! I would never get it back together without ending up with loads of nuts and bolts that should have been used somewhere! I know my limitations!
:redface:

M-R-P
Friday 6th April 2012, 15:55
Lol, gotta respect that ;)

foammanmark
Friday 6th April 2012, 18:29

That happened on my first p2 V70, and I'm sure that the bolts had to be drilled out by my Volvo indy. No other way of removing mine cos the bloody tyre place had overtightened them so much.

Jamest5r
Friday 6th April 2012, 18:32
Ive had nighmare's with locking bolts as well, dont see why people bother i dont anymore, when was the last time you heard of someone jacking up an old volvo for the wheels??

foammanmark
Friday 6th April 2012, 18:39
Ive had nighmare's with locking bolts as well, dont see why people bother i dont anymore, when was the last time you heard of someone jacking up an old volvo for the wheels??

When I have tyres done now, I go to places where I can pick up the locking wheel nuts as they take them off. I then replace them myself, and don't overtighten them.

Jimmie
Friday 6th April 2012, 19:37
Volvo have a special kit that will take off ANY of there own locking wheel nuts without causing any damage.They will also tell you the socket to order from the maker.
You have to order it yourself due to security or data protection.
Make your own mind up on that.

Kingsford G
Friday 6th April 2012, 19:41
Volvo have a special kit that will take off ANY of there own locking wheel nuts without causing any damage.They will also tell you the socket to order from the maker.

If yr locking nuts are genuine they have boxes of diff keys so won`t be a problem.I had to undo one at vw cos had no space to get to it.

zip929
Friday 6th April 2012, 20:20

My car is now with a Volvo dealer so should be ok. I hope!

Jimmie
Friday 6th April 2012, 20:30
My car is now with a Volvo dealer so should be ok. I hope!

Just make sure they do because some of them will tell you it can't be done unless you weld on parts.AC was one of them.
It's a two minute job.

zip929
Friday 6th April 2012, 20:35
Just make sure they do because some of them will tell you it can't be done unless you weld on parts.AC was one of them.
It's a two minute job.

Thanks for that I will def ensure it can be done without too much issue.
Dave

graemewelch
Friday 6th April 2012, 22:29
when i lost my key i had to weld a m12 bolt to it and got it out that way. what a waste of a dinner break. i now take out my locking studs befor i take my car to get tyres and fit them my self afterwards

p fandango
Friday 6th April 2012, 22:36
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/5435/dscf0001bf.jpg

merc85
Friday 6th April 2012, 22:41
LOL thats making the wheel lighter to pf

silverback02
Saturday 7th April 2012, 00:46
It took me the best part of an Hour to get my Daughters locking nut of her Ford Ka last year.
One BIG Hammer and TWO Very sharp Chisels,
But no damaged wheel.
Lol

Good luck with yours,
Joe.

T5frankie
Saturday 7th April 2012, 07:01
i wont use lockers on mine they always fail at one point or another

zip929
Saturday 7th April 2012, 08:20

omg!

Jimmie
Saturday 7th April 2012, 10:03
That's proper "workmanship".

Gunscrossed
Saturday 7th April 2012, 11:12

Quality!

Nick0
Saturday 7th April 2012, 11:31
VIDA shows that the way to remove a stuck locking nut is to weld an attachment to it!!!

t5steve
Saturday 7th April 2012, 11:36
wonder how many discs that clogged up

zip929
Thursday 12th April 2012, 18:50
Finally got my car back. £283 to remove the 3 locking wheel nuts and fit the 2 new front tyres that I supplied. £190 for the tyres. An expensive week!
Are there any good indies in Kent, or is my wallet due to get hammered by the main dealers everytime?

t5steve
Thursday 12th April 2012, 22:16
ouch...................main stealers living up to their name

Volvostorm
Thursday 12th April 2012, 22:27

Lets see you balance that rim up again! :D

M-R-P
Thursday 12th April 2012, 23:57
Finally got my car back. £283 to remove the 3 locking wheel nuts and fit the 2 new front tyres that I supplied. £190 for the tyres. An expensive week!
Are there any good indies in Kent, or is my wallet due to get hammered by the main dealers everytime?

93 quid to remove 3 bolts? bottoms to that!
Next time, come see me, it'll cost ya 50 quid in petrol and I'll throw in a bacon butty lol;)

Jimmie
Friday 13th April 2012, 08:48
They weren't too expensive at £93.00 to remove your wheel nuts.
A lot of the dealers have to order in the kit for the day and they are charged.
It would seem that they have charged you for a half hour job.
Remember to take 20% off to get the true figure that they have actually charged you.

M-R-P
Friday 13th April 2012, 08:51
20 minutes and no kit required...
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/7577B53D-orig.jpg
:D

Jimmie
Friday 13th April 2012, 09:01
But they dont take every volvo wheel nut off.
Also you mentioned 20 minutes,a trader always charges by the half hour.lol

M-R-P
Friday 13th April 2012, 09:06
I've not seen an anti-theft locking bolt that was impervious to a 7/8" socket being hammered over it (ignore the key on the left of the pic, that was knackered) :)

Jimmie
Friday 13th April 2012, 09:11
You can't take them all off with a hammer plus you have to buy new ones if you do.

M-R-P
Friday 13th April 2012, 09:29
Show me one that can't be extracted with a socket and I'll show you a wheel not worth nicking lol.
Who nicks Volvo wheels anyway? I ditched my lockers.:)

p fandango
Friday 13th April 2012, 09:34
wonder how many discs that clogged up
i've always got a good selection of discs to hand anyway, think it might of used about 2-3 discs

p fandango
Friday 13th April 2012, 09:35
Lets see you balance that rim up again! :D
why am i picturing a bag of sugar gaffa taped to the inside of the rim lol

p fandango
Friday 13th April 2012, 09:38
Show me one that can't be extracted with a socket and I'll show you a wheel not worth nicking lol.
Who nicks Volvo wheels anyway? I ditched my lockers.:)
ah you say that, but the locking wheel nuts on my bro's Picasso had sacrifical heads. Had a groove cut in halfway into the angled seat so the head snapped off when we put excessive force onto it. Had no choice but to get it drilled out then

M-R-P
Friday 13th April 2012, 09:54
ah you say that, but the locking wheel nuts on my bro's Picasso had sacrifical heads. Had a groove cut in halfway into the angled seat so the head snapped off when we put excessive force onto it. Had no choice but to get it drilled out then

Well that's just silly but then, what do you expect from that particular brand lol.

p fandango
Friday 13th April 2012, 11:04
Well that's just silly but then, what do you expect from that particular brand lol.
i'd go a bit wider & just blame it on the French lol

stribo
Friday 13th April 2012, 11:31
Got mine removed by a bloke near Reading, £50 for 4 well 3, coz the RAC man had already managed to get the one of the wheel with the puncture. Having looked, there doesn't seem to be enough clearance in the Pegs to get a socket over the locker.

I want a T5
Friday 13th April 2012, 12:29
Moral of this story......

Check you can get the bu66ers off before you need to. Torque up correctly with maybe a smear of copper greases on the contacting faces. Check the ability to undo and do up again regularly (I do mine every weekend, torqued up to 85ftlb. Takes 10 minutes).

Hindsight is a great thing.......

JimmyBurnWorld
Wednesday 25th April 2012, 12:19
Just had the joy of being told that my lockers were not coming out, and they trashed the tool in the process. Never mind thinks I, brought it back to the workshop and got our welder to weld a cap head bolt to the first locking wheel nut. Got a breaker bar on the bolt and snap, off came the VOLVO sacrificial head. It's not just citroens. Any advice on getting the remains out, without going down p fandangos preferred route (although I have that many different grinders in our workshop it's be like a mecca for pedro!)

bunnymofo
Wednesday 25th April 2012, 22:40
easy :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4jSHcHue8w&feature=channel&list=UL

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 26th April 2012, 05:48
Right, I've got the offending alloy strapped up to our works van. Just about to go ahead with this, but I've had a thought. Will it damage the suspension strut at all? I have polybushed wishbones, but I'm a bit worried about the shock load on the strut. What about the CV joint, will that suffer?

zip929
Thursday 26th April 2012, 07:41
Right, I've got the offending alloy strapped up to our works van. Just about to go ahead with this, but I've had a thought. Will it damage the suspension strut at all? I have polybushed wishbones, but I'm a bit worried about the shock load on the strut. What about the CV joint, will that suffer?

As John McEnroe once said "You cannot be serious!"

stephenevans99
Thursday 26th April 2012, 07:50
I think you'll be fine :crazy:.....just make sure you secure the opposite wheel to a tree or concrete post. ;)

stephenevans99
Thursday 26th April 2012, 07:57
I wonder if some of the problems with locking wheel nuts stem from garages zippin' em up with airguns?

I took the wifes car to have new tyres last year and was horrified to see the fitter getting giddy with the airgun - I torqued them all up on my return home.

I imagine lots of independent garages don't bother torquing wheels up either....

zip929
Thursday 26th April 2012, 08:07
I wonder if some of the problems with locking wheel nuts stem from garages zippin' em up with airguns?

I took the wifes car to have new tyres last year and was horrified to see the fitter getting giddy with the airgun - I torqued them all up on my return home.

I imagine lots of independent garages don't bother torquing wheels up either....

Nail on the head I think. The locking nuts should not be mullered with the airgun, but most fitters just zip away!

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 26th April 2012, 08:26
As John McEnroe once said "You cannot be serious!"

What? It needs to come off, this looks a good solution. I've strapped the off side wheel to one of the factory stancions to act as an anchor, all set to go, but the bloody van crank sensor's knackered!

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 26th April 2012, 08:29
Regarding zipping them up with an airgun: I actually torque my wheel nuts with a torque wrench. Nip them all up hand tight with a wheel brace, then torque the standard nuts. Then back the torque wrech off and do the lockers. This is what had been done prior to this episode. One of my collegues has been in the auto game for a while, he reckons the lockers 'stretch' when tightening then relax, causing them to hold tighter than you intended to tighten them.

M-R-P
Thursday 26th April 2012, 08:36
Errr, ripping it off with a van may cause some damage to the car and will definately damage the wheel. That being the case, why not just cut it off with a grinder and save your suspension?

M-R-P
Thursday 26th April 2012, 08:37
Or, put the other bolts in loose (like not doing anything but there to catch the wheel when it falls off) then drive round in circles until the offending bolt loosens?

JimmyBurnWorld
Thursday 26th April 2012, 11:17
Only kidding Martin! Used your trick, however I used a 19mm socket on mine. Used my Hellfrauds trade card, got 4 of their professional series 19mm star drive (not the hex) sockets with 1/2" drive (£2.40 each), wailed them on with a copper hammer and GENTLY eased the bolt out. Sucess. I have 4 19mm sockets, permanantly mated to old volvo locking wheel nuts.

Note: You will need one socket per wheel. Even if you get the locker out of it, the star drive point will have been machined by the very very hard chrome head of the bolt.

The socket needs to be driven on all the way. Only getting the socket on the chrome head will not work, it needs to bite into the main bolt under it.

M-R-P
Thursday 26th April 2012, 11:44
Pmsl!
The 0ne 3/4 " socket worked fine for all four of mine, It grabbed the outer lip and pushed the anti-hammer-a-socket-on ring out the way. Done the lot in no time but the socket is mullered now tho, I had to hammer the 1/2" extension bar into it to get the 4th bolt off lol.

Good idea using the star type of socket, I forgot to mention that bit :)

zip929
Monday 21st May 2012, 19:29
I thought I was done with this after replacing all the locking wheel nuts with normal nuts and getting 2 new front tyres.
Now one of the wheels with the new tyre is losing air.

Took it to Kwik fit who said there was no slow puncure but the wheel required a refurb/repair. I could see the air bubbling out uncer the water on the rim. Now got it booked in on Wednesday for a refurb/repair at £55+vat. I have not kerbed the car so I assume they damaged it when replacing the tyre at the Volvo dealers (not going to ba able to prove that). I am hoping I will have this car running as I would like soon!

JimmyBurnWorld
Monday 21st May 2012, 20:31
Dang. It's so frustrating when you get these silly weeping sore problems. you know the type, nothing serious, but it leaves you completley flat and ruins the enjoyment of the other 99.9999% of the car. We've all been there!

JimmyBurnWorld
Monday 21st May 2012, 20:32
Before LeeT5 get's in first: Kwik Fit- Well there's your problem!

zip929
Monday 21st May 2012, 20:33
Dang. It's so frustrating when you get these silly weeping sore problems. you know the type, nothing serious, but it leaves you completley flat and ruins the enjoyment of the other 99.9999% of the car. We've all been there!

I know what you are saying! The car drives so well but since I have had it I have had just small niggly problems. Argghhhh... Still could be worse I suppose my problems are not that serious...the car will be right soon!

Dave

zip929
Monday 21st May 2012, 20:36
Before LeeT5 get's in first: Kwik Fit- Well there's your problem!

Got to admit they were first class. Got me in straight away, diagnosed the problem and did not charge me a bean. I cannot argue with that!

MIXA
Monday 21st May 2012, 20:44
my local tyre place paints the inside of my wheels with a rubberized paint before fitting my tyres very rarely have any problems with air loss at the bead
you can get sets to remove lockers off ebay for between £25 and £35 reuseable as well

Harvey
Monday 21st May 2012, 21:12
Hi the lockers I fitted have 17mm key not the 19mm ones which give you a bit more room in the alloy if I have a problem but just apply a bit of copper slip and use a torque wrench and don't let a tyre fitter near them with there air guns and you should be ok.

Also seen a tyre fitter change the tyre when rim still on the car as could not get rim off the car just didn't balance the wheel.

JimmyBurnWorld
Monday 4th June 2012, 20:59
Back again.

I decided to check that my lockers were not siezed prior to puting the car into the main dealers on wednesday.

After the saga with the genuine volvo locking bolts, I let the tyre garage fit some top quality aftermarket ones. However, yet again the garage put them in too tight, and didn't use any copperslip. I managed to get 3 out before the key mangled itself. I'm now left with one bolt remaining and I've just called it a night after hammering various sockets over it and even trying to weld sockets to it.

Turns out it's top quality aftermarket because if you havent got the key, it's not ocming out. I believe they are very specifically designed to resist Mr. Peacheys preferred method, and are made of a steel alloy that doesnt weld too well.

Will re-conviene tomorrow.

JamesT5
Friday 8th June 2012, 22:58
Headed off this morning to visit the Mother in law in Lutterworth.
Coming off the M2 onto the M25 and the steering wheel started juddering.
Slowed right down and pulled into the Holiday Inn Express at Dartford.
Slow puncture.
Well I thought I have one of these foam repair kits in the car I will try that.
Unloaded the foam into the tyre. Went to pull away and the tyre basically exploded!
Got the spare wheel out, thought I will put the spare on and get to the nearest Kwik fit.
No way. The locking wheel nut refused to budge.
At this point I called the AA.
AA guy tried his upmost to get the locking wheel nut off, to no avail.
Got the car towed to the local Volvo garage, and hopefully they will be able to get the nut off tomorrow.

What a day!

Dave

The Americans just get their gun out and shoot each one until it comes off. Ok, only kidding! :hilarious

p fandango
Saturday 9th June 2012, 03:05
I thought I was done with this after replacing all the locking wheel nuts with normal nuts and getting 2 new front tyres.
Now one of the wheels with the new tyre is losing air.

Took it to Kwik fit who said there was no slow puncure but the wheel required a refurb/repair. I could see the air bubbling out uncer the water on the rim. Now got it booked in on Wednesday for a refurb/repair at £55+vat. I have not kerbed the car so I assume they damaged it when replacing the tyre at the Volvo dealers (not going to ba able to prove that). I am hoping I will have this car running as I would like soon!
i've had alloys losing air thru the metal before, can't remember if they were aftermarket or Volvo

zip929
Saturday 9th June 2012, 07:42
i've had alloys losing air thru the metal before, can't remember if they were aftermarket or Volvo

Had the wheel repaired and it is now Ok.

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 9th June 2012, 07:51
All I'll say is ....locking wheel nuts are pointless... Any decent thief will have them
Off anyway. Any car once the wheel nuts have destroyed themselves (yep used the socket and hammer method on the 850, 1socket for 4wheels). I put normal bolts back on.

zip929
Saturday 9th June 2012, 08:03
All I'll say is ....locking wheel nuts are pointless... Any decent thief will have them
Off anyway. Any car once the wheel nuts have destroyed themselves (yep used the socket and hammer method on the 850, 1socket for 4wheels). I put normal bolts back on.

No locking wheel nuts on mine anymore.

M-R-P
Saturday 9th June 2012, 08:57
Back again.

I decided to check that my lockers were not siezed prior to puting the car into the main dealers on wednesday.

After the saga with the genuine volvo locking bolts, I let the tyre garage fit some top quality aftermarket ones. However, yet again the garage put them in too tight, and didn't use any copperslip. I managed to get 3 out before the key mangled itself. I'm now left with one bolt remaining and I've just called it a night after hammering various sockets over it and even trying to weld sockets to it.

Turns out it's top quality aftermarket because if you havent got the key, it's not ocming out. I believe they are very specifically designed to resist Mr. Peacheys preferred method, and are made of a steel alloy that doesnt weld too well.

Will re-conviene tomorrow.
What size socket did you use?
Gotta be 3/4 wrapped up with lots of tape.

Harvey
Saturday 9th June 2012, 09:02
What size socket did you use?
Gotta be 3/4 wrapped up with lots of tape.

Martin I think your tints ,wheels,headlights look cool in your new banner.

stephenevans99
Saturday 9th June 2012, 09:25
Martin I think your tints ,wheels,headlights look cool in your new banner.

I thought it'd been stripped for scrapping ;)

Brett855tdi
Saturday 9th June 2012, 09:43
The Americans just get their gun out and shoot each one until it comes off. Ok, only kidding! :hilarious

The Americans are too busy trying not to shoot them selves!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RHdg3yeU2iY

LeeT5
Tuesday 12th June 2012, 06:12
Are there any good indies in Kent?

SW Autos, Biddenden, Kent.

For the record, i took my lockers off a year ago. Have spacers now too so they can't be used anyway.