PDA

View Full Version : Abs/tracs warning lights

siggi
Friday 6th April 2012, 09:38
My Abs/tracs warning lights have an intermittent life sometimes staying on as I drive off , other times coming on when they choose in all kinds of randomness ?
Has anyone had a similar problem ???

Wobbly Dave
Friday 6th April 2012, 11:36
Common problem -
Get the codes read. If more than 1 wheel sensor is showing up then it will 99% be your ABS control ECU.
If the codes say just 1 wheel check your reluctor rings on that wheel (on the outside of the CV joint). This castelated ring can rust & over time get dirty, lose teeth or crack.

I still repair the units -

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224

happy to give discount to members with 86 posts or more.

Flatout Phil
Friday 6th April 2012, 11:45
My Abs/tracs warning lights have an intermittent life sometimes staying on as I drive off , other times coming on when they choose in all kinds of randomness ?
Has anyone had a similar problem ???

My question would be has anyone not had these problems! - yes, absolutely normal. Dave's instructions are good. Almost invariably dry joints on ABS controller - not a huge job to replace: budget about £60-150 for a repaired/refurbished unit.

M-R-P
Friday 6th April 2012, 11:57
I haven't. My display did complain about brake failure a few times but that's because it was going mad and it showed every possible warning it had in it's memory. When you drive a manual T5 and the car tells you that your glow plugs have a problem, then the auto box has a problem, then it tells you that the awd system has a problem...

siggi
Friday 6th April 2012, 18:48
Common problem -
Get the codes read. If more than 1 wheel sensor is showing up then it will 99% be your ABS control ECU.
If the codes say just 1 wheel check your reluctor rings on that wheel (on the outside of the CV joint). This castelated ring can rust & over time get dirty, lose teeth or crack.

I still repair the units -

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=224

happy to give discount to members with 86 posts or more.
I like your style - thanks and code reading ? Is that a Volvo dealer or shall I call on Tim the very helpful Volvo expert in my area ?

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 7th April 2012, 01:38
If you have an andriod phone & TORQUE app - you can read your own, mind you with intermittent errors - it might not be logged in such a way that TORQUE might not read them. Best if you can get a proper read from a garage.

volvokid
Saturday 7th April 2012, 08:32
I just had this problem, Dave gave good advice, I went for the part that was cheapest and easiest for me to do first and that was to resolder the module I found some dry joints in there, so far so good my lights stayed off, if it comes on again I will have to get someone to check the rings

siggi
Saturday 7th April 2012, 21:03
I just had this problem, Dave gave good advice, I went for the part that was cheapest and easiest for me to do first and that was to resolder the module I found some dry joints in there, so far so good my lights stayed off, if it comes on again I will have to get someone to check the rings

I will try that Cheers